[MyAppleMenu] Sep 1, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 1 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Looking Back On My iLife/iWork '08 Excitement... <http://777h.org/blog/archives/34>
by Confessions Of A Serial Hobbyist
So there we have it, the utter realization that after nearly a year of waiting, and $200 spent, I'm not really much better off than I was before... because I just bought the hype, and bought a bunch of software I'll rarely ever use...

**** NBC Universal Set To Make A Big Mistake <http://thetvaddict.com/2007/08/31/nbc-universal-set-to-make-a-big-mistake/>
by The TV Addict
How do you reward the service that helped save The Office from the brink of cancellation?

**** NBCU: We Won't Be Leaving iTunes Until December <http://www.lostremote.com/2007/08/31/nbcu-we-wont-be-leaving-itunes-until-december/>
by Cory Bergman, Lost Remote
NBCU says it "never asked to double the wholesale price for our TV shows" as Apple asserted in a press release earlier today.

**** Big Buzz For Another Apple Surprise <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/31/AR2007083101723.html>
by Sam Diaz, Washington Post
Could it be the iPhone nano, the subject of speculation in a financial analyst's report this summer? What about a WiFi-enabled iPod that some bloggers are buzzing about?

**** iWork Suite Is Sweetened <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003863402_ptmac01.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
The three applications that form the iWork '08 suite of business programs are poised to make real inroads in small-business and home use.

**** Code To Unlock iPhone Cracked <http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/01/apple.iphone/>
by CNN
A group of anonymous software developers said they will soon start selling a program that will allow iPhone owners to use the hugely popular device on cell phone systems around the world and not just with AT&amp;T.

**** Securing Apple's Open Directory <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9033801&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld

**** iWeb '08: Web 2.0 Comes To iLife's One-Click Web Publishing Software <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/iweb08/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jason Cranford Teague, Macworld

**** Apple Surpasses Google's Market Cap <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/31/aapl.passes.goog/>
by MacNN

**** NBC Fraks Itself <http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/08/nbc_fraks_itself_1.html>
by Chris Adamson, O'Reilly Mac DeveCenter Blog
Is Universal picking a fight it can't win, by turning its back on iTunes and the iPod? Or is there some sane, plausible strategy here that I'm not seeing?

**** An Open Letter To NBC Re: Leaving Apple's iTunes Store <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/an-open-letter-to-nbc-re-leaving-apples-itunes-store/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge
The per-episode price people are accustomed to paying for what you show on television is "zero," or something very close to it.

**** iPhone Ringtones Without Hacking <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/31/itoner.for.iphone/>
by MacNN
Ambrosia Software has released iToner 1.0, a new tool that lets users put custom ringtones on the iPhone without hacking the device or "jailbreaking" it.

**** iPhone Impresses Europeans. Almost. <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/iphone_impresse.html>
by Eric Zeman, InformationWeek

**** Apple Bars New NBC Shows From iTunes <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/31/technology/31cnd-nbc.html?ex=1346212800&en=166c612c5ba7fa20&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Brooks Barnes, New York Times
The dispute between Apple and NBC Universal over the pricing of video on iTunes grew more heated today as Apple announced it would not add any new NBC television to the online store's inventory.

**** LaunchBar 4.3.2 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/08/launchbar/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
If you want to save time, or save your arms from extra mousing, you may find LaunchBar to be as indispensible a utility as I do.

**** Analyst: iTunes Pricing Spat With NBC Could Hurt Apple <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/31/nbc/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Nancy Gohring, IDG News Service, Macworld

**** NBC, Apple Play Game Of Brinkmanship <http://news.com.com/NBC%2C+Apple+play+game+of+brinkmanship/2100-1027_3-6205701.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com
An internet game of chicken is being played by entertainment heavyweights Apple and NBC Universal, and the first round likely goes to Apple.

**** Who's Afraid Of Google? <http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9725272>
by The Economist
The world's internet superpower faces testing times.

**** The Impossible Dream <http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-stein31aug31,0,3813750.column?track=mostviewed-splashpage>
by Joel Stein, Los Angeles Times
Every home needs a urinal &mdash; doesn't it?

**** Our Wonder Of Wonder Bread <http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-daum1sep01,0,6861786.column?track=rss>
by Meghan Daum, Los Angeles Times
In an age of disposable objects, it's nice to see that one product's passing can still stir nostalgia.

**** Singapore To Up Universities Intakes Next Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_153967.html>
by Straits Times

**** Singapore, Hong Kong And Inadequate Pension Plans <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=669&Itemid=32>
by Asia Sentinel
Singapore's nanny state does seem to be making some effort partially to rectify some of the consequences of the way the CPF has been managed in the past. THe leaderhip has recognizd that a huge problem lies ahead &mdash; by 2025, 22 percent of the population will be over 65.

**** Keeping History Relevant <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/9/1/columnists/insightdownsouth/18747277&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Conserving older buildings and rehabilitating them for future use is an essential part of what Singapore is.

**** Singapore Businesses Keen On IDR Should Go In At Once, Says Envoy <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=282457>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
The Malaysian high commissioner to Singapore, Datuk N. Parameswaran, has urged Singapore businesses which intend to invest in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) in Johor to do so at once and not to wait too long to make a decision.

**** Police Issue Warning Against Illegal Assemblies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/297344/1/.html>
by Lee Foong Ming, Channel NewsAsia
Police have issued a stern warning against those who organise and participate in illegal assemblies.
This follows an assembly of a group of Myanmese nationals dressed in white at the Orchard MRT station last Saturday.

**** Why Would Anyone Rescue Singapore? <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-786.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
If we are a liberal democratic country, we'd have more appeal, we'd be seen to be more worth saving than if we are seen as a dynastic fief. Why should other countries expend blood and treasure to save an authoritarian regime?

**** Govt's Call For Greater Civic Role Has Clear Limits <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_153821.html>
by Low Tzer Kai, Straits Times
The responses of both minister of state for education Lui Tuck Yew and senior minister of state Ho Peng Kee suggest that the government's calls for greater diversity and inclusiveness stop short of allowing genuine political debate and contestation.

**** Ho Ching, World's 3Rd Most Powerful Women <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/208754.asp>
by Sheralyn Tay, Today

**** Ode To Inspired <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2007/08/31/ode-to-inspired/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming

**** Pragmatism Is Not An Ideology <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/165170.html>
by Mollymeek
Eh, if you don't stick to any ideology, why stick to pragmatism so pragmatically and unwaveringly?

**** Singapore Development Charges Surge <http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=5&art_id=52568&sid=15190469&con_type=1&d_str=20070901>
by Bloomberg
Singapore is raising development charges for the city-state's real estate projects by as much as 58 percent to reflect "the increase in market values," the Urban Redevelopment Authority said on Friday.