[MyAppleMenu] Oct 21, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 21 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Getting Ready For The Leap To Leopard <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138577-c,macos/article.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Should you plunk down your credit card for the next version of Mac OS X? Here's what you need to know before you do.

**** With This Apple iPhone, I Can Go On A Web Safari <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/10/20/dlclaud20.xml>
by Claudine Beaumont, Telegraph
For me, the killer application on both of Apple's touchscreen devices is the full Safari web browser.

**** The Business Case For TimeSelect <http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2007/10/the_business_ca.php>
by Nicholas Carr, Rough Type

**** In Search Of Wireless WIggle Room <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/business/media/21view.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Judith Chevalier, New York Times

**** Books For The Ages, If Not For The Best-Seller List <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/opinion/21pubed.html?ex=1350619200&en=25807a0cab133691&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Clark Hoyt, New York Times
The New York Times best-seller list is a powerful and mysterious institution that both reports and drives the sales of books around the nation.

**** $400M Makeover For Science Park <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_169124.html>
by Liaw Wy-Cin, Straits Times
Singapore's first research and development (R&amp;D) hub, the 25-year-old Singapore Science Park, is getting a $400 million makeover.
The renovations will create mre space for the R&amp;D companies there and improve access to greenery and recreational facilities.

**** Give People The Choice To Draw Down Annuity At 80: SM Goh <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_169111.html>
by Straits Times
Senior minister Goh Chok Tong has expressed his personal preference for the payout age of the proposed longevity insurance scheme to be better meet the financing needs of hte rapidly ageing Singapore population.
Noting that the minister for manpower is prepared to be flexible on the proposed payout age of 85, SM Goh said at a graudation ceremoy on Sunday: "I personally think 80 years will be a good alternative. Of course, the insurance premium and the payout after 80 will have to be adjusted accordingly."

**** Problems Of Terrorism And Self-Radicalisation Won't Go Away For A Long TIme: DPM Wong <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/306906/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Myanmar's Neighbours Exert Little Economic Influence: Singapore <http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=6ccb40bd-6ace-41aa-9dfb-8a8786e68c21&&Headline='Neighbours+exert+little+economic+influence'>
by AFP
Countries neighbouring military-run Myanmar can exert only limited economic influence on the regime, Singapore's foreign minister has said following fresh US sanctions against companies here.

**** Give Our Students Some Space <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2007/10/21/give-our-students-some-space/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist

**** Wireless at SG Doomed To Fail <http://zitseng.com/archives/115>
by Zit Seng's Superwall

**** Newspaper Should Beware Of Being Shunned By The Intelligent <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-798.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Our media organisations are now at risk of slipping into a vicious cycle where overcautiousness leads to them being shunned by opinion writers, leaving them with second-rate commentary, leading to a further decline in reputation and circulation, and more shunning for various reasons.

**** The Loonies Are Marching <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-799.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Money Talks, So Cabbies Keep Touting <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_169031.html>
by Mavis Toh &amp; Shuli Sudderudin, Straits Times

**** Hard Thought Cafe <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_168982.html>
by Debbie Yong, Straits Times
Four teachers take a novel approach to helping students appreciate and apply their General Paper knowledge.

**** Lessons For This Gweilo And Ang Moh <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_168999.html>
by Michael D. Sargent, Straits Times
After 17 months of lessons learnt in Singapore, I guess that is finally one in the plus column for this ang moh.

**** Outdoor Demonstration Planned Outside St Andrew's Cathedral <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/20/outdoor-demonstration-planned-outside-st-andrew%e2%80%99s-church/>
by Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen

**** Stupidity And Singapore <http://emerican-life.livejournal.com/120044.html>
by Emerican Life
I'm distrubed. It seems to be getting clearer to me that a majority of Singaporeans are plain stupid.

**** Several Firms On US Myanmar Blacklist Linked To Singapore <http://www.citizen.co.za/index/Article.aspx?pDesc=1,1,39&Type=top&File=071020193755.0fgx8jns.xml>
by AFP
Three companies with strong links to Singapore are among seven firms blacklisted by the United States under fresh sanctions aganst Myanmar after its deadly suppression of pro-demoncracy protests.

**** I"m Seeing Pink Over Those HDB Paint Jobs <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,145433,00.html?>
by Ng Tze Yong, New Paper
Upgrading being such a big deal in Singapore, you would think its' someone with a little background in colour-coordination who chooses the paint tins at upgrading time.
/Of course, I have long suspected that it's the paint tins that are the least expensive that is being chosen./

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Disaster <http://www.slgtm.com/sounds.html>
by Saturday Looks Good To Me
Click here to listen <http://www.redderrecords.com/rr-audio/SLGTM_Disaster.mp3>.