[MyAppleMenu] Oct 5, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 5 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Life With A Mac <http://www.johntopley.com/2007/10/04/life-with-a-mac/>
by John Topley

>From its beautiful curves to its sleek shape to the feel and sound of the keybaord, I know it's wrong to feel love for an inanimate object but I do. I'd never say something like that about a Windows machine and I'd never go back to having one as my primary machine.

**** Farewell, Apple <http://osx.tribe.net/thread/c0df2a4c-cbc1-4ce4-9eb6-777eb91916b7>
by Tribe.net
What brought me to use a Mac is probably how a lot of you came to use them. To escape the clutches of a locked-in company like Microsoft &amp; their circle of proprietary driven garbage. More &amp; more, I'm starting to realize that Apple has begun doing the same exact thing, maybe even worse in some instances. It has taken some time, but it's here now I believe.

**** iPhone Could Mark The End Of The Geek Affair With Apple <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/oct/04/guardianweeklytechnologysection.mobilephones>
by Jack Schofield, Guardian
Jobs may just have gone a bit too far in locking down the iPhone.

**** iPhone Brick Debate Is About Consumer Rights And Smartphone Freedom <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/iphone_brick_de.html>
by Stephen Wellman, InformationWeek

**** Half-Life's Maker Isn't Serious About The Mac <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2007/10/valve/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
In each and every case, the developers and publisher's I've pointed to have found ways to bring their games to the Mac platform, without making excuses or blaming Apple for a lack of interest. And they've done it without any backdoor deals from Apple.
So what makes Valve special? The answer: Nothing.

**** If Wishes Were iPhones, Then Beggars Would Call <http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/10/04/if-wishes-were-iphones>
by Mark Pilgrim, Dive Into Mark
I thought the big draw for Apple hardware was that "It Just Works." By breaking it, you must know you're giving up the "Just Works" factor, so what's left?

**** This Could Be My Favorite Leopard Feature <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9220>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
Spotlight plus Time Machine lets you find stuff backwards in time!

**** Apple's AntiCAPSLOCK <http://rentzsch.com/notes/applesantiCAPSLOCK>
by rentzsch.com
Apple's modern keyboards have a bias /against/ activating Caps Lock at all, and another bias to turn it off as soon as possible.

**** Apple Acknowledges iMac Freezing Issue <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/04/imac/index.php>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** iPhone Update Puts Kibosh On Unlock Market <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_and_wireless&articleId=9040962&taxonomyId=15&intsrc=kc_top>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple Inc.'s move last week to stop hackers from modifying the iPhone has essentially killed the market for unlocked phones, a financial analyst said today.

**** New iPod Video-Out: Ratio Distortion, Quality Differences <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/new-ipod-video-out-ratio-distortion-quality-differences/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge
Unless Apple releases firmware updates to improve video-out performance, your videos are going to look different depending on the iPod (or iPhone) you connect to a TV or other video-caable accessory.

**** Learning Language In Context <http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19484/?a=f>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
Startup Live Mocha leverages social networking to teach foreign languages.

**** The Rabbit-Eared Life <http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/the-rabbit-eared-life/index.html?ex=1349323200&en=8e66760f41b5fdb1&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Judith Warner, New York Times
Recently, a couple of things happened that made me realize that it was perhaps time to reconsider my opposition to cable TV.

**** Magazines, Bring Back The Write-Around! <http://www.slate.com/id/2175248/fr/rss/>
by Ron Rosenbaum, Slate
Regian your dignity with this secret weapon.

**** The Burmese Generals' Closest Buddies <http://burmadigest.info/2007/10/04/the-burmese-generals%E2%80%99-closest-buddies/>
by Arbibi Ashoy, Burma Digest
Despite the fact that Singapore recently fined a forwarding company which sold missile parts to Iran, the government has shown no remorse for its own dealings with the Burma junta.

**** Peace Awareness Day For Burma In University Campuses <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/05/toc-report-peace-awareness-day-for-burma-in-university-campuses/>
by Ng Sook Zhen, theonlinecitizen
Chaos may be an abstract cncept for youths in Singapore, but this has not stopped students from taking material action against the current chaotic situation in Myanmar.

**** Two NUS Campuses, Two Different Responses <http://ridgeonline.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/two-nus-campuses-two-different-responses/>
by Tan Tze How Kelvin, NUSSU The Ridge Online
Things were different between the two campuses.

**** Asean Double Talk <http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/columns/view_article.php?article_id=92627>
by AMando Doronila, Inquirer.net
Singapore's dilemma, as well as Asean's hypocrisy, was underlined by Singapore's extensive economic relations with Burma.

**** Queensway Shopping Centre, Sim Lim Square And Sky-High Rentals In Singapore <http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/rehashplus/post.htm?id=63000769>
by Michael Tan, CNET Asia
New business segments, gadget shops for example, are springing up. Less motherboard shops now, echoing the drop in interest in desktop PCs and the rise and rise of mobile computing devices.

**** Singapore's Economy Shows Signs Of Overheating, Economists Say <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a9PGNPBpu1nI&refer=home>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg
Singapore's economy risks overheating as home prices reach the highest in a decade, companies hire workers at an unprecendented pace and the stock market soars to record levels, economists say.
Inflaction at a 12-year high and an eocnomy expanding "a little too rapidly" mean signs of overheating are "a few too many for comfort," Robert Prior-Wandesforde, an economist at HSBC Holdings Plc in SIngapore, said in an Oct 3 report.

**** Singapore's Lee Warns Of Myanmar 'Time Bomb' <http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=92729>
by AFP
Singapore's elder statesmen Lee Kuan Yew has warned Myanmar is a ticking "time bom" for Southeast Asia which the region must help defuse, reports said Friday.

**** Singapore Sends Mixed Signals On Homosexuality <http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/236658/Singapore_sends_mixed_signals_on_homosexuality>
by DPA
Leaders of economically vibrant Singapore are sending mixed signals on homosexuality in the competition with other Asian countries for more foreign talent. While allowing a small number of gay bars, restaurants and saunas to thrive, homosexual acts are still outlawed and carry a prison term of up to two years. Even such frivolities as gay picnics with participants clad in pink are prohibited.

**** Learn, People, Learn. <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/10/learn-people-learn.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

**** Singapore PM Says Sanctions Against Myanmar Won't Help <http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKSIN20915220071005>
by Reuters
Tigthening sanctions on military-ruled Myanmar for its brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protesters would probably be counter-productivie, Singapore's prime minister said in an interview published on Friday.

**** Singaporeans Least Optimistic Over Their Future: Survey <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_164216.html>
by Grace Ng, Straits Times
They may b e relatively well-off and well-prepared for retirement, but affluent Singaporeans are still the gloomiest in Asia when it comes to their future, a new survey has found.

**** Civil Service Won't Lead Private Sector In Salaries <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_164170.html>
by Ong Toon Hui, Prime Minister's Office, Straits Times
We agree that wage increases should keep pace with productivity. The civl service intends to keep pace with private-sector salaries, and not lead the private sector.

**** 'Free Burma' <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/215089.asp>
by Jasmine Yin, Today
As the arrsts of monks and activists continue in Myanmar, over 900 people from the three local universities joined forces to support a student-led campaign for peace yesterday. Candlelight vigils were held at two campuses.