[MyAppleMenu] May 28, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 28 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Leading The Charge On iPHone <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003724582_brier28.html?syndication=rss>
by Brier Dudley, Seattle Times
Brace yourself for another tsunami of hype.
See Also:
The iPhone Keeps Its Cool Secret <http://www.oregonlive.com/business/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/business/1180241703295990.xml&coll=7>, by Mike Rogoway, OregonLive.com. Gadget lust &mdash; No mater what Apple's latest trick is finally capable of, many will want one fo the mystique.

**** The Dream Is Dead: Macs Don't Always "Just Work" <http://www.seandwyer.net/index.php/2007/05/28/the-dream-is-dead-macs-dont-always-just-work/?from=myapplemenu>
by Sean Dwyer
Well, my two week journey into the land of Apple was brought to an abrupt end yesterday, after my brand new iMac stopped doing the one thing Macs are always supposed to do: work.

**** Macintosh... Help Me Understand Why <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1077&from=myapplemenu>
by Christopher Dawson, ZDNet
Apple has been a niche player for some time, but I maintain that the utter matruity of Linux as well as the generally low cost of Windows machines further marginalizes Appel in education. Can anyone give me a reason to keep paying the premiums associated with pretty white and silver boxes in an educational setting?

**** Dave Winer Goes Shopping
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Dave Winer <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/05/27/shopping.html>, Scripting News: All in all, I spent well over $1000. The stores that had their act together got all the money. The stores that didn't even come close to meeting my needs (about half of them) got nothing.

**** I Swore I Wouldn't Become A Mac Elitist... <http://www.switchingtomac.com/wp/i-swore-i-wouldnt-become-a-mac-elitist/?from=myapplemenu>
by Switching To Mac
Now that I'm well into my third month of using a Mac, I /can/ say, with very little doubt, that Mac's are by far the superior computer.

**** Things I Don't Like About The Mac <http://halfanhour.blogspot.com/2007/05/things-i-dont-like-about-mac.html?from=myapplemenu>
by Stephen Downes, Half An Hour
I would like to dedicate this post to the braindead things that /really/ annoy me about it.

**** How To Retire Your Software <http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/05/how_to_end_your_software.html>
by Nobi Hayashi, O'Reilly Mac DeveCenter Blog
I think it's good Sig Software and James could provide a DragThing discount and finish the deal, but what is so nice about them is that they didn't stop there.

**** The Apple Store: Trouble In Paradise <http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/05/the_apple_store.html>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Business 2.0
The bottom line was that the people drawn like flies to Steve Jobs' magical elixir were getting in the way of business.
But if you think things are bad now, wait until the iPhone shows up.

**** Japan: Webcast All The Copyrighted Content You Want, Just Pay Royalties <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070527-japan-webcast-all-the-copyrighted-content-you-want-just-pay-royalties.html>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

**** User-Generated Content Is Not A Panecea <http://publishing2.com/2007/05/26/user-generated-content-is-not-a-panecea/>
by Scott Karp, Publishing 2.0
While user-generated content may be "free", sifting through to find /good/ content is not.

**** Remember Susan Sontag <http://www.vqronline.org/articles/2007/winter/rieff-remembering-sontag>
by David Rieff, VQR
In thinking of my mother now, more than a year after her death, I often find myself dwelling on that startling phrase in Auden's great memorial poem for Yeats&mdash;words that both sum up what small immortality artistic accomplishment sometimes can confer and are, simultaneously, such an extraordinary euphemism for extinction. Once dead, Yeats, Auden writes, "became his admirers."

**** The Big Gulp <http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/la-tm-thebiggulp20may20,1,5357053.story?coll=la-headlines-west&ctrack=1&cset=true>
by David Lansing, Los Angeles Times
High-end restaurants are rethinking bottled water, opting instead for the stuff with a distinctly local terroir.

**** A Labor Without End <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/23/AR2007052301294.html>
by Phuong Ly, Washington Post
Ruth Lubic defied doctors to change the way American women give birth. After more than four decades, her work isn't close to being finished.

**** Singapore-Indonesian Treaties: Is The Light At The End Of The Tunnel A Train? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/05/28/singapore-indonesian-treaties-is-the-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-a-train/>
by Gerald Giam, theonlinecitizen

**** Education Capitulation <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/05/education-capitulation.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
The damage is done. Who now will enrol into a foreign university on this island, even if it is set up with the EDB's blessings?

**** 3 Singapore Universities Extend Application Deadline To Take In UNSW Students <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/278872/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
The three Singapore universities will assess each applicant on his or her own merits and ability to meet the rquired standards of the university.

**** One More NS Man Dies Following Taiwan Jet Crash <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/278792/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Branding Vs. Remaking <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/155557.html>
by Mollymeek
Nowhere in the criteria for the award do I see any mention of good governance. Neither have I heard any UN official endorsing the use of the Progress Package to 'buy votes'.

**** Open Skies The Way To Go <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/5/28/business/17830021&sec=business>
by Wong Chay Nee, The Star
With Asean capitals moving towards open skies by end-2008, the clock is ticking. It is only a matter of time before the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route will be thrown open, and ready or not, MAS will have to compete as an equal player.

**** Why Section 377A Is Redundant <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-749.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
We never needed s.377A.

**** Wireless at SG Project On Track: IDA <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:85ce479861fc2110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Tham Yuen-C, Straits Times

**** Early Enlistment Not In Lieu Of Probation <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:5ca5304ccddc2110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Seeto Wei Peng, The Subordinate Courts, Straits Times
Generally, the offenders who have gon for early enlistment are those who have been considered for probation. More serious offences which may entail reformative training to rehabilitate an offender through reformative trining centre sentences are not included.

**** Bitter Taste Of Rising Coffee, Sugercane Costs <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/190931.asp>
by Daphne Chuah, Today
Be prepared to fork out an additional 10 to 50 cents for your next glass of sugercane juice.
This beverage, and your morning kopi at the hawker centre, will soon cost a little more as a result of world shortage.

**** Alternative Elite: Can They Exist? <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/05/alternative_eli.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Phone No. <http://www.immaculatemachine.com/music.html>