[MyAppleMenu] May 27, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 27 13:15:08 EDT 2007

**** Why I Use A Mac <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Random/why-i-use-a-mac-2007-05-25-10-00.html>
by Rogue Amoeba

**** Apple's Lesson For Sony's Stores: Just Connect <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/business/yourmoney/27digi.html?ex=1337918400&en=8ec33522a933bd47&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Randall Stross, New York Times
Retail is supposed to be hard. Apple has made it seem ridiculously easy. And yet it must be harder than it appears, or why hasn't the Windows side of the personal computer business figured it out?

**** Indie Mac Development In The UK <http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/05/24/indie-mac-development-in-the-uk.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Indie+Mac+Development+in+the+UK>
by Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly MacDevCenter.com
Ever wonder what's it like to be a Mac developer outside the U.S.? Sure, the coding part of things is pretty much the same &mdash; it's the same OS, wherever you live &mdash; but other aspects of building successful Mac software are a little bit different.

**** The Way We Watch Now <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article1830549.ece>
by John Harlow, The Times
Web TV is the medium of the future. Can traditional stations keep up?

**** Wi-Fi Wants To Kill Your Children <http://www.badscience.net/?p=418>
by Ben Goldacre, Bad Science
Won't somebody, please, think of the children?

**** They Came, They Toured, They Offended <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/weekinreview/27vite.html?ex=1337918400&en=afbc04b413fc162f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Paul Vitello, New York Times
"Ugly" behavior in tourists is almost always in the eye of the people being toured; and Americans are no longer the only, or even the dominant group of toruists out in the world.

**** Standardizing The Standards <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/magazine/27wwln-lede-t.html?ex=1337918400&en=598e368c66df2369&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Ann Hulbert, New York Times
School transformation can't be engineered by any test, which is two-dimensional tool at best. Still, a good national exam would spread well-fcused standards across state borders and spur progress.

**** Public Accounts Committee Findings: A Sobering Reminder <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/public-accounts-commitee-findings-a-sobering-reminder.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

**** Can We Get A Refund? <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=342>
by Insane Polygons
DIdn't we just gave the entire civil service a pay hike for supposedly world class service and governance?

**** Over Optimistic? <http://yishengzhengqi.livejournal.com/30159.html>
by Yishengzhengqi
Sometimes I wonder if we are being too optimistic in all things that we do.

**** Strained By Fast-Paced Growth <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/5/26/columnists/insightdownsouth/17831191&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Certain public services are bursting at the seams in the wake of a 60% jump in population in the past 16 years.
People are feeling the pinch of insufficient hospital beds and doctors, delayed buses and cramped trains, which run counter to the city's traditional image of efficiency.

**** Former Indonesian Ruling Party Rejects Treaties With Singapore <http://english.people.com.cn/200705/27/eng20070527_378263.html>
by Xinhua
Indonesia's former ruling party the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDIP) will not ratify the extradition treaty and military cooperation agreement with Singapore, a party executive said Saturday.
PDIP senior member Sutradara Ginting said trading extradition treaty with access to military training ground for Singapore was really unfair for Indonesia.

**** Singapore's Cannes-Do Path To Glory <http://news.sawf.org/Entertainment/37736.aspx>
by AFP
"We've had films in competition here in Cannes in pervious years but never three &mdash; it's fantastic for us," Phoebe Seouw Su Kian of Singapore's Media Development Authority (MDA) told AFP.

**** Pearls Before Swine <http://twostepsfromtwilight.wordpress.com/2007/05/27/pearls-before-swine/>
by Two Steps From Twilight
Mr Jeyaretnam must think he is engaged in a profound philosophical mission, but he has missed the most important philosophical detail of all &mdash; perhaps he has done all of this in vain.

**** Random Notes On Singapore <http://silenteloquence.suryaonline.org/2007/05/26/random-notes-on-singapore/>
by Silent Eloquence
I was more than amazed by the proportion of foreigners &mdash; almost every other person seemed to be a foreigner!

**** A Cornucopia Of Cuisine And Chefs At World Gourmet Summit In Singapore <http://www.mb.com.ph/SCTY2007052794746.html>
by Elizabeth S. Timbol, Manila Bulletin
Singapore is the world's hub for delicious food by chefs who have made the kitchen their playground. If there is one thing that everyone unanimously looks forward to on a trip to Singapore, it woul dhave to be the delicious food waiting at every turn, literally.

**** Government Assures Taxpayers Of F1 Race Boost <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:efb438194c8c2110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Leonard Lim &amp; Terrence Voon, Straits Times
Aware of rumblings about the government's role in what seemed like a private venture, minister of state for trade and industry S. Iswaran assured taxpayers yesterday that the spillover benefits to the economy would be 'very large', in terms of increased consumer or tourism spending.

**** EDB Under Scrutiny <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/05/edb-under-scrutiny.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
The most shocking thing, to me, is that this is the first time the Auditor-General of Singapore ha saudited the EDB, /in 46 years/.

**** The Taste Of Welfare <http://perspectiveunlimited.blogspot.com/2007/05/taste-of-welfare-two-months-ago-i_26.html>
by Perspective Unlimited
How many of us would actually support a policy that treat immigrants the same? The answer to this question will say a lot of us as a people.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** What A Wonderful World <http://www.morningbellonline.com/music/>
by Morningbell
Click here to listen <http://www.morningbellonline.com/morningbell_what_a_wonderful_world.mp3>.