[MyAppleMenu] May 18, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 18 13:15:02 EDT 2007

**** Apple Is Europe's Largest Education Supplier <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=18079>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Gartner's latest figures show Apple as number one vendor in education market.

**** No More Excuses: Apple Introduces Free Recycling Program For Schools <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/05/18/no-more-excuses-apple-introduces-free-recycling-program-for-schools>
by Grover Saunders, Ars Technica
Apple is instituting a free recycling program for all "accredited K-12 and Higher Education institutions with at least 25 systems."

**** Apple Of Your Eye <http://www.edmontonsun.com/Lifestyle/2007/05/18/4190069-sun.html>
by Andre Boily, Edmonton Sun
The Apple MacBook Pro is an icon of the laptop genre, albeit a pricey one.

**** Animating Calvin
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
If someone did animate the great Calvin and Hobbes, I wonder if this <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsWq5-yL_0> is how it will look like?
And I wonder what Bill Watterson will say...

**** MacBook Attracts
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
All my life, I grew up with the "knowledge" that computers and magnets simply don't mix.
Don't put your floppy disks on top of a magnet if you treasure your files. Don't put the telephone next to your hard disk, or one ring and your data are gone.
So, here I'm, getting used to the idea that there are magnets inside the MacBook computer. Apple, you /are/ sure that my data are safe? :-)
Of course, if you are the worrying kind &mdash; and maybe I'm &mdash; you'd also wonder what happens when the magnetism runs out?

**** "On Time" Is Not The New "Delayed" <http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2007/05/on_time_is_not_the_new_delayed.html>
by bynkii.com
"As scheduled" and "delayed" are not in fact the same thing. That would be why they have different meaning and spelling.

**** Apple Store Experience <http://randypeterman.com/wordpress/2007/05/17/apple-store-experience/>
by Way Too Much Information Abot Randy Peterman
Sure, you could get this level of service from... oh, wait, I've never had another computer company offer that level of service. Thanks, Apple!

**** Apple.com Telling Google "We Don't Want To Rank"? <http://www.marketposition.com/blog/archives/2007/05/applecom_tellin.html>
by Scott Goodyear, MarketPosition

**** Regarding Yesterday's Apple News <http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/17/regarding-yesterdays-apple-news/>
by Ryan Block, Engadget
We have learned a very serious lesson yesterday. We will work very hard to earn back the trust we have lost and to do our best to be what we have always strived to be: a trustworthy source.
See Also:
AppleGate <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/17/applegate/>, by Michael Arrington, TechCrunch. Apple made two critical mistakes &mdash; allowing their internal email system to be hacked, and then not responding /immediately/ to Engadget to tell them the story was incorrect.
The iPhone Rumor Had Many Red Flags <http://aapl.bloggingstocks.com/2007/05/17/the-iphone-rumor-had-many-red-flags/>, by Jonathan Berr, BloggingStocks.

**** Apple Design Guru Wins National Design Award <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/17/apples.ive.wins.award/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Patent Clears Road For Theft-Proof iPhones, Macs <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/16/apple_patent_clears_road_for_theft_proof_iphones_macs.html>
by AppleInsider
Apple Inc. has successfully patented an anti-theft safeguard for notebooks, phones, and other portable electronics that offers protecton simply by sensing the outside world.

**** Apple's Hiring 'iPhone Personal Trainers,' But What's The Start Date? <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9720097-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1035_3-0-5>
by Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com
Apple wants to hire "iPhone Personal Trainers" to work at a Sacramento call center doing iPhone technical support.

**** iResist iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/05/resistiphone/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Brian Chen, Macworld

**** First Look: Adobe Soundbooth CS3 <http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/firstlooks/soundboothcs3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Though the beta is quite stable, Soundbooth remains a work in progress.

**** iPhone Receives FCC Approval <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/iphone-receives-fcc-approval/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge
Apple's iPhone has received certification from the Federal Communications Commission. THe application documents, made public by the FCC, include very little new information.
See Also:
Come One, Come All: iPhone FCC Docs Available <http://www.macuser.com/iphone/come_one_come_all_iphone_fcc_d.php>, by Dan Moren, MacUser.

**** Hilf: Microsoft Won't Sue Over Linux, For Now <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/17/hilf/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service

**** The Bookish Set <http://www.laweekly.com/art+books/wls/the-bookish-set/16396/?page=1>
by Gendy Alimurung, LA Weekly
Inside the indie booksellers.

**** Mr. Right, It Turns Out, Does Not Take Classes <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/fashion/17Dating.html?ex=1337054400&en=4110e3bf8942835b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Stehanie Rosenbloom, New York Times
In New York City, in many (if not most) adult courses, the women are numerous and the men are few &mdash; for approximately the same reason that men behind the wheel don't ask for directions.

**** Why I Can't Sleep Yesterday Night... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/05/why-i-couldnt-sleep-yesterday-night.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind
When you get older, you will lose your physical and mental agility. Some people say Singaporeans age faster because of the high stress level in our society... It will be very tough for our older folks to keep working...

**** Malaysia Signals New Hope Of Building Bridge With Singapore <http://www.chinapost.com.tw/latestnews/2007518/46231.htm>
by Associated Press
Malaysia voiced fresh hopes Friday of building a new bridge to connect its south with Singapore, signaling a change of mind more than a year after aborting the contentious project.
The bridge is important because we want to give a different face to the southern gate to Malaysia," Malaysian foreign minister Syed Hamid Albar told reporters.

**** Singapore To Introduce Work Holiday Programme <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=262645>
by Bernama

>From Dec 1 this year, undergraduates and graduates from selected countries will be able to experience living and working in Singapore for a short period through the island state's Work Holiday Programme.

**** MPs To Raise Questions On Property Market, Extradition Treaty <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/276978/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

**** Riau Islands Seeks Voice In Border Talks <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20070518.G03&irec=2>
by Fadli, Jakarta Post
Riau Islands governor Ismeth Abdullah has asked the central government to include the province in maritime border talks with Singapore.

**** The Possibility Of Pleasure <http://www.bangkokpost.com/Realtime/18May2007_real21.php>
by Kong Rithdee, Bangkok Post
Ekachai Uekrongtham's new film, set in Singapore's seedy Geylang district, will premiere in Cannes next week.

**** Two Ex-NKF Directors Sold Off $8M Assets <http://news.asiaone.com.sg/a1news/20070518_story8_1.html>
by AsiaOne
Former National Kidney Foundation (NKF) board members Richard Yong and Loo Say San may be in for more trouble &mdash; for fraudulently disposing off property, a charge that carries a jail term of up to two years and a fine.

**** En Blocs Creating Rifts In Neighbourliness <http://enblocsingapore.blogspot.com/2007/05/en-blocs-creating-rifts-in.html>
by Enblocing Singapore

**** Singapore's Healthcare System - Uniquely Singapore? F1 Or F9? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/05/18/singapores-healthcare-system-uniquely-singapore/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Singapore Businessmen To Visit IDR Tomorrow <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=262541>
by Bernama
Some 48 Singapore businessmen from various industries will be visiting the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) in Johor Friday to get "a full insight" into the 2,217 sq km project.

**** Singapore-KL Team Good For Asean <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:eab70cf645a92110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by K Kesavapany, Straits Times
The possibiliites of progress created at Langkawi are important for Malaysia and Singapore, but their ramifications do not end at the borders of the two countries.
/Given the track record of the negotiatoin teams of these two countries, I think I shall not as optimistic as this writer is. Show us some results, then we can get our hopes up./

**** Don't Lock Up Toilets For Disabled In MRT Stations <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:2ca87b4861b92110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Leo Chen Ian, Disabled People's Association, Straits Times
What is the purpose of a public toilet facility if its access is restricted, even to the section of the public for whom it was built?

**** Hospitals Running Out Of Room <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/189181.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
A spike in infectious disease cases and other factors have pushed occupancy rates up at hospitals here &mdash; resulting in patients in C- and B2-class wards engaged in a game of musical chairs or, in this case, beds.

**** Number's Up For NDP Ticket Scalpers <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/189211.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
Balloting is due to begin this Saturday, and parade organisers are planning to rope in th epolice to clamp down on anyone selling tickets online or on the black market. Should things get out of hand, the authorities are even prepared to introduce legislation on the sale of NDP tickets in future.
/Why are we wasting some much effort and money and time to "clamp down" on a willing-seller-willing-buyer sceanrio? Don't we have better things to do &mdash; after we've already spend so much effort and money and time to stage this entertainment event?/

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** The Shore And Stars <http://2005.sxsw.com/music/showcases/band/14337.html>
by Austin Hartley-Leonard
Click here to listen <http://audio.sxsw.com/2005/mp3/archive/Austin_Hartley-Leonard-The_Shore_and_Stars.mp3>.