[MyAppleMenu] May 17, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 17 13:15:02 EDT 2007

**** Apple Isn't Fun Any More <http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=908&blogid=4>
by Simon Jary, PC Advisor
Whatever happened to the marketing wizards that dreamt up a colour called "KeyLime", which was named after a pie!?
Come on, Apple! Start thinking different again. Let's name these weird new colours you make your products in. We want the Goseberry nano, Mediterranean Blue shuffle, Flamingo nano and Guinnes Video iPod.

**** So, They Did Invent The Wheel
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Yes, we've all joked about how Microsoft has never really made any innovation, even though the Redmond company do like to call themselves innovative.
But, take a look at your mouse. Chances are, you will find a wheel &mdash; or a wheel-like thing &mdash; on top of your mouse to help you scroll.
Yes, that's right. Microsoft did invented the mouse wheel, as Jeff Atwood <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000865.html> reminds us.

**** CocoThumbX 3.1 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/05/cocothumbx/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Mac Firewall Security Flaw In Adobe CS3 <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=18066>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Security experts are warning of an issue within Adobe CS3's Version Cue application which can disable a Mac's built-in firewall.

**** DragThing Reaches Version 5.8 <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=18059>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Why Apple? <http://mjc.vox.com/library/post/why-apple.html>
by Melissa Jenna, I Came Here For This?

**** How To Make Apple's Tiger OS Roar Like A Leopard <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9019598&source=rss_news6>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
Tired of waiting for Mac OS X 10.5 'Leopard'? Make the wait easier with tools that add power, pizazz and some Leopard-like features to OS X 10.4 'Tiger.'

**** FreeHand No Longer Updated; Movng To Illustrator <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/05/freehand_no_lon.html>
by John Nack, Adobe
After a long and storied carrer, Adobe (nee Altsys, Aldus, and Macromedia) FreeHand has reached the end of its development road.

**** Macs Rule At Two Security Conferences <http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/05/macs-rule-at-two-security-conferences>
by Blackfriars' Marketing
While we hear all the time assertions that Windows computers can be just as secure as Mac OS X ones, security professionals seem to be voting otherwise with their wallets.

**** In The Field With InDesign CS3 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/creative/2007/05/indesign-cs3-first-impressions/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by James Dempsey, Macworld
With InDesign CS3, I would say Adobe has topped what they did with CS2, a tough task since that version was practically a new application on its own.

**** Skype 2.6 Touts Mac-Only Features <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/16/skype/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
New to the 2.6 release is a feature unique to the Mac version: Call Transfer, which allows you to transfer an ongoing call to another Skype user on your contact list.

**** Apple Slams False Rumours <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=18054>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple today once again stressed that the company remains on track to ship the iPhone this June and Mac OS X Leopard in October, as the company ahs previously promised.
See Also:
Engadget Sends Apple Stock Plunging On iPhone Rumor <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9719952-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>, by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com. Commenters on Engadget and Apple investor boards were not amused.
Engadget Knocks $4 Billion Off Apple Market Cap On Bogus iPhone Email <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/16/engadget-knocks-4-billion-of-apple-market-cap-on-bogus-iphone-email/>, by Michael Arrington, TechCrunch.
(Apple) Stock Hacking &amp; The Power Of DisInformation <http://gigaom.com/2007/05/16/apple-stock-hacking-the-power-of-disinformaton/>, by Kevin Kelleher, GigaOM. If you're tired of the old cliche that information is power, here a new one: Disinformation is every bit as powerful.

**** For Those Who Just Can't Wait To Pay <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/17/BUGDGPS8VL1.DTL>
by Dan Fost, San Francisco Chronicle
Latest technology will enable speedier purchase.

**** Internet Meets Large Screen <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/technology/17basics.html?ref=technology>
by Peter Wayner, New York Times
The long-predicted convergence of the intenret and the broadcast world is accelerating. But finding the right hardware for this convergence still requires some thought.

**** Why Does China Copy Designs? <http://sgentrepreneurs.com/contributors-corner/2007/05/17/why-does-china-copy-designs/>
by Brian Ling, Singapore Entrepreneurs
The west's tendency of focusing on this copying issue is really looking at the trees instead of the forest, as China will quickly move past this stage and start to create their own innovations very quickly.

**** Older, Better, But Harder To Dress <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/fashion/17OLDER.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Cathy Horyn, New York Times
At the start of any fashion writer's career there is, waiting at the end, the dreaded article about older women and how they can nver find clothes appropriate for their age. I swore on a stack of Vogues I would never write such a piece. It was totem journalism, predictable, worked at. Even the term "appropriate" has always seemed to me old hat, with violets on top.
So what changed?

**** Your Name In Stickup Light Bulbs! <http://nymag.com/news/features/31806/>
by Alison Stein Wellner, New York Magazine
The late-night pitchman who makes millions preying on the simple desire to live a less anxious life.

**** Figures, Figures, Figures <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/154874.html>
by Mollymeek

**** More Headhunters Tapping Asia's Job Market Growth In Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/276777/1/.html>
by Jeana Wong, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore's Exports Unexpectedly Fall On Electronics <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aQZJLKhcm.5E&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg
Singapore's exports unexpectedly fell in April for the third time in five months, heightening concerns that a slowdown in economic growth in the first quarter will extend into the current period.

**** Singapore Exploring Legislation Changes To Help Older Workers Stay Employed <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/276748/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore is to introduce legislative changes within five years to help those beyond 62 to continue working.

**** Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve <http://topcatscuba.blogspot.com/2007/05/sungei-buloh-wetlands-reserve.html>
by TopCat
The whole reserve is well done and was great to see how some of the wild places in Singapore are being preserved.

**** Singlish Is The New Spanglish Of Today <http://media.www.dailytarheel.com/media/storage/paper885/news/2007/05/17/Opinion/Singlish.Is.The.New.Spanglish.Of.Today-2904567.shtml>
by Pablo Friedmann, Daily Tar Heel
Immigration has at once defined the history of Singapore and given it the talent by which to become one of southeast Asia's fastest growing economies. The U.S. has much to learn from Singapore's history and its government's policies toward immigrants.

**** More Budget Airlines Aiming To Expand Into Long-Haul Routes <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/276712/1/.html>
by Joseph Yadao, Today
/What is surprising to me is that, most of this long-haul routes, it seems, doesn't involve Singapore. Is Singapore losing its attractiveness?/

**** Indonesian Workers In Singapore To Have Their Wages Raised <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2007/5/17/indonesian-workers-in-singapore-to-have-their-wages-raised/>
by Antara
Indonesia will raise the wages of its informal migrant workers in Singapore from 280 to 350 Singapore dollars as of July 1, 2007.

**** Visitor-Friendly Train System In Hong Kong <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:8f2c180358592110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Wong Boon Hong, Straits Times
Indeed, our 'infant' MRT system has much to learn from the MTR besides having more exits.

**** Bad Idea To Allow Cyclists On Footpaths <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:0b2d180358592110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Rina Tan Gek Hwa, Straits Times
I believe the only reason there has been no incident till date is because cyclists are aware that pedestrians have the right of way and they are currently breaking the law when they cycle on the footpaths.
See Also:
Posers On Trial To Let Cyclists Use Footpath <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:28380524fe492110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>, by Amy Loh Chee Seen, Straits Times.

**** For This Is Where I Know It's Home? <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/for-this-is-where-i-know-its-home.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
I don't think the state should be counting the pennies in compensating a person who suffered physically in th line of duty. It's not about the money. It's about being responsible.