[MyAppleMenu] May 7, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 7 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Different <http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/18621/>
by Daniel Turner, MIT Technology Review
Inside (sort of) Apple's industrial-design machine.

**** The 'Hate' And 'Love' Apple Stories <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,131594/article.html#>
by Ramon G. McLeod, PC World
Two little lists generated more than their fair share of controversy.

**** 10 Things We Love About Apple <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130980/article.html>
by Narasu Rebbapragada and Alan Stafford, PC World
Great design, a polished OS, a way to run Windows, and a faker's blog are just a few of our favorite things.

**** 10 Things We Hate About Apple <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130994-c,macs/article.html>
by Narasu Rebbapragada and Alan Stafford, PC World
It's high time we unloaded on the high-and-mighty Mac maker.

**** Apple Airs New "Get A Mac" TV Ad <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/07/new.get.a.mac.tv.ad/>
by MacNN

**** Ten Things We Still Love About Tiger <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/07/ten-things-we-still-love-about-tiger/>
by Michael Rose, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
With all the focus on 10.5, it seems to me that we've lost sight of all the wonderful things about our current main squeeze... so here goes: the top ten things we still love about Tiger.

**** Critical Mass <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/14/070514fa_fact_auletta?>
by Ken Auletta, New Yorker
Everyone listens to Walter Mossberg.

**** Art &amp; Commerce: Leaders Of The Pack <http://www.adweek.com/aw/magazine/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003581385>
by Scott Mires, Adweek
What do Steve Jobs, the visionary CEO of Aple, and Oprah Winfrey, the lovable force behind Harpo Inc., have in common? They are both leaders that personify their brands &mdash; and do it so aptly that they've elevated their brands to near cult status?

**** The "New" Apple <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18656/>
by Simson Garfinkel, MIT Technology Review
Peel off the skin and Apple emerges as a computer company that's tried and true. Yes, Apple has the world's largest online music store. Yes, Apple has more than 170 trick-and-mortar stores around the world, which sells a lot more than just laptops. But a deep commitment to computing is what holds this empire together.
See Also: The Apple I <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18658/>, by Daniel Turner, MIT Technology Review. A look at Steve Wozniak's mother of all Apple motherboards.

**** Why Is Vertical Integration Working Today? <http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/05/from_the_mailba_1.html>
by Information Arbitrage
"I am both a Mac and Wii owner, so clearly I see the advantages of both platforms, but I have a hard time explaining why these strategies work so well on a macro level. Why was the fully integrated strategy such a failure in the 80's and 90's but so dominant today?

**** Apple, Labels Focus On Copy Protection <http://www.thestate.com/367/story/56503.html>
by Alex Veiga, Associated Press
As a new round of talks ramp up this month, Jobs has opened the door to higher prices &mdash; as long as music companies let Apple sell their songs without technology designed to stop unauthorized copying.

**** Book Not Ready For Print? You Can Whip Up An Audiobook For A Podcast For Now <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/07/technology/07audio.html?ref=technology>
by Andrew Adam Newman, New York Times

**** Critical Mass <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/14/070514fa_fact_auletta>
by Ken Auletta, New Yorker
Everyone listens to Walter Mossberg.

**** Remade In The USA <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_19/b4033069.htm?chan=innovation_innovation+%2B+design_innovation+strategy>
by BusinessWeek
Sony's comeback may ride on its Yankee know-how.

**** Hollywood Loves The Tiny Screen. Advertisers Don't. <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/07/business/media/07cell.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Laura M. Holson, New York Times
Superman has the power to leap tall buildings. But leaping onto a cellphone screen is proving a little trickier.

**** You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover - But In Richard Littlejohns Case, We'll Make An Exception <http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2074138,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=10>
by Charlie Brooker, The Guardian
Book covers are increasingly designed to draw in passersby via any means necessary. Subtlety doesn't get a look-in. Nor does common sense.

**** From The Glass House <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/05/05/nosplit/boshriver105.xml>
by Lionel Shriver, Telegraph
Given that publishing honest and thus sometimes unfavourable assessments of the work of colleagues is violently at dds with a writer's self-interest, it's surprising that literary editors can cajole any author into reviewing. But then, plenty of writers like me don't know what's good for them, and some writers plain need the money.

**** Prince Philip Has A Mouthful Of A Title. And, Often, His Foot. <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/05/AR2007050500981.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Paul Duggan, Washington Post
By the looks of hi, a rather reserved fellow, you'd expect &mdash; and you'd be wrong.

**** The New Middle Ages: Self-Nonmedication <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/magazine/06antidepressant-t.html?ex=1336104000&en=03a45d1a5caaf6bc&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Bruce Stutz, New York Times
When my life fell apart, I started taking an antidepressant &mdash; then got off it on my own.

**** In Search Of Novels About Working Life <http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/article2512305.ece>
by D J Taylor, Independent
Considering so many of us spend our days toiling in offices, where are the great novels of working life?

**** Weapons Of The Weak: Everyday Forms Of Resistance Among Singaporeans? <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/05/weapons_of_the_weak_everyday_f.html>
by Singapore Angle

**** Did We Make A Difference? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/04/25/did-we-make-a-difference/>
by theonlinecitizen
In the meantime, Singaporeans would just have to accept that they were unable to effect any changes to the government's decisions on various issues.

**** O-Level Exams To Start One Week Earlier From 2007 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/274766/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board said bringing the exam forward woud allow results to be released earlier, enabling students to be admitted into junior colleges or the centralised institution at the same time in late January, instead of the current double-intake.

**** Singaproe's DBS, Investors Set Up Islamic Bank <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/070507/3/48bk6.html>
by Reuters
The move comes as Singapore competes with Kuala Lumpur in neighbouring Malaysian to become Asia's centre for financial products that comply with Islamic laws, which do not allow the use of interest in transactions.

**** Help For The Poor: So Close, Yet So Far <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:0fd29edab8162110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Vivi Zainol, Straits Times

**** Malaysian Ports May Gain From Longer Ship Queues In Singapore <http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Monday/Nation/BT621461.txt/Article/>
by PortsWorld
With its berths burstling at its seams and waiting time for ships gets longer at Singapore Port, Malaysian ports may benefit from the "spill over" effects of Singapore's runaway success.

**** Money Isn't Everything - Let's Save Old Buildings <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:5c585c0006c52110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Jayandran Sandra Alison, Straits Times

**** A Library To Hang Out <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/187111.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today
Shopping haven Orchard Road will be bagging its second library &mdash; and it will be Singapore's first-ever youth-centric public library.