[MyAppleMenu] May 6, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 6 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** The Laptop Is My Life <http://www.modbee.com/columnists/pardee/story/13545358p-14148919c.html>
by Thomas Pardee, Modesto Bee
As a poverty stricken college student with an insatiable thirst for media, I have learned that I have no better friend on this earth than my laptop.

**** Regarding Harry McCracken's Departure From PC World <http://daringfireball.net/2007/05/mccracken_pc_world>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** Miranda July, Storyteller <http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-ca-julymay06,0,2572808.story?track=rss>
by Angust Brown, Los Angeles Times
The director-writer-star of the film 'Me and You and Everyone We Know' offers quirky takes on relationships in her new book.

**** Getting The Most Bang Out Of Quarks And Gluons <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/06colli.html?ex=1336104000&en=320c66f48073f1e3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Corey Kilgannon, New York Times
There's nothing unusual about grown men gathering around wide-screen TVs to watch collisions, whether between players in cleats or on skates or between cars on a racetrack.
But a group of men viewing wide-screen monitors in a control room at Brookhaven National Laboratory the other day were rooting for very different collisions, ones made by the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, or RHIC (pronounced rick).

**** Tobacco Road <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/books/review/Miles.t.html?ex=1336104000&en=d83136530f7abcc4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Jonathan Miles, New York Times
The rise and fall of the cigarette in American culture.

**** You've Got Trouble <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/books/review/Barry.t.html?ex=1336104000&en=0cec8c6324a9317c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Dave Barry, New York Times
I've become so dependent on e-mail that I sometimes wonder how we ever got by without it. Imagine, for example, how useful it would have been for Paul Revere.

**** Singapore Refinery Fire Claims Third Victim <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=118556>
by DPA

**** The Blogospere And Why Singapore Needs A More Liberal Press <http://luna.illusione.com/?p=60>
by Luna.illusione.com
We move in this globalised world because the world has called on us to move.

**** What's Right, Not What's Popular <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2007/05/05/whats-right-not-whats-popular/>
by Yours Truly Singapore
What kind of logic is it that says that anything that is right must be unpopular and by inference anything that is popular must surely be wrong?

**** Getting To Grips With The New Economy <http://www.thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/columnists/2007/5/5/insightdownsouth/17623581&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
The influx of foreigners has brought Malays and Chinese close together but differences remain.

**** Singaporean Bitten By The Dubai Bug <http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2007/May/theuae_May134.xml&section=theuae>
by Reshmi Nair, Khaleej Times

**** Singapore Media Gets High Marks!! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/05/singapore-media-get-high-marks.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind
Just heard that the Singapore media now scores 154 an improvement over last year's 146.

**** Power Outage Halts NEL Services <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/186872.asp>
by Today
A dislodged power connector between train and track halted services on the North East Line for more than 90 minutes on Friday night.

**** Singapore PM Warns US Over China <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6627361.stm>
by BBC News
SIngapore's prime minister has urged the US to maintain ties with both China and Japan because south-east Asian nations do not want to "choose sides".

**** Bloggers Do Not Save The World <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/05/bloggers_do_not.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart
Bloggers are not here to save the world, and please do not expect us to do so. If you want to do that, go and join a political party or fight for your social cause.

**** Opinion On 938 Live, And Ill-Reasoned Commentary <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/05/opinion-on-938-live-and-ill-reasoned.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
Either the writer took all of her leaps of logic as granted and self-evident (which speaks volumes abou tthe unstated assumptions in her mind), or perhaps there is really no convincing manner in which one can successfully apply the two-pronged test of constitutionality to Section 377A and so she conveniently ignored all of it and sought to pass off mere assertions as reasoned arguments.