[MyAppleMenu] May 4, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 4 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Danish Consumer Agency Finds Design Flaw In Apple iBook <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/05/04/design-flaw-in-apple-ibook_1.html>
by Peter Sayer, IDG News Service
The Danish Consumer Complaints Board has published evidence of a manufacturing defect resulting in power failures in some of Apple's iBook G4 notebook computers. The board has already ordered the company to refund one Danish customer, and expects its findings to influence cases elsewhere, a spokesman said on Friday.

**** Mighty Mouse Must Die! <http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/mighty-mouse-must-die/>
by Aaron Wright, Apple Matters
The Might Mouse I proudly purchased back in September 2005 is giving me more grief than an ingrown toenail (never had one but I assume it's unpleasant), and even after having it replaced by Apple it still gives me grief.

**** Are iPod-Banning Schools Cheating Our Kids? <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=education_training&articleId=9018594&taxonomyId=56&intsrc=kc_feat>
by Mike Elgan, Computerworld
By banning iPods, we're preparing our kids for a world without the internet, a world without iPods, a world without electronic gadgets that can store information. But is that the world they're going to live in?

**** A Tale Of Two Tools <http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/05/a_tale_of_two_tools.html>
by James Duncan Davidson, O'Reilly Digital Media Blog
Even thought there are features in Aperture, such as stacks, that are executed much better, Lightroom had become my primary workflow tool.

**** Jackass Of The Week: Creative CEO Sim Wong Hoo <http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/may#thu-03-zenstone>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** Apple's Steve Jobs Was Top Paid CEO: $647M <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/03/jobs.top.paid.ceo.in.2006/>
by MacNN

**** The PR Behind A Greener Apple <http://davidswain.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/the-pr-behind-a-greener-apple/>
by Clean PR
Apple has opened a door. Let's see what comes through it next.

**** Confessions Of A Mac Genius <http://www.electric-escape.net/node/1550>
by Chris Williams, PopSyndicate.com
Busted machines, broken iPods, and crabby customers are just part of the job. Making it look easy is the other part.

**** PC World Editor Quits Over Censorship Of An Apple Story <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2007/05/03/pc_world_editor_quits_over_censorship_of_an_apple_story.html>
by Jack Schofield, The Guardian
Whether or not that's the case, it's impossible to imagine a similar dispute about an article called, say, Ten Things We Hate About Microsoft. However, Apple's media coverage often seems to lean towards the sycophantic side, whether it's because of doing exclusive deals with Apple, its advertising clout, or simply because so many publications are run on Macs.

**** Apple Senior VP Exercises Options <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/05/03/apple_senior_vp_exercises_options/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Technology+stories>
by Associated Press

**** Study: Mac Users Generate More Web Content Than Others, Are Better Friends <http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/03/study-mac-users-generate-more-web-content-than-others-are-better-friends/>
by Nicholas Deleon, CrunchGear

**** Focus In Apple's Options Scandal Shifts To Its Board <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/03/MNG4RPK18N1.DTL&feed=rss.business>
by Jessica Guynn, San Francisco Chronicle
Apple Inc.'s board of directors, a star-studded group that features the likes of former vice president Al Gore and Google Inc. CEO Eric Schmidt, is coming under fire for its handling of backdated stock options at the famed computer-maker, including those handed out to its chief executive, Steve Jobs.

**** Cave Days: Platform Game Offers Cute Graphics And Retro-Fun <http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/reviews/cavedays/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Cute graphics, pleasant soundtrack, but ultimately unchallenging for experienced gamers.

**** Sun Microsystems Joins Porting Effort For Openoffice.org For Mac <http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/sun_microsystems_engineering_joins_porting>
by Philipp Lohmann, Sun

**** Maggie The Gardener 2 Casual Game Released <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/03/maggie/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Maggie the Gardener 2 doesn't have any specific goals or missions to complete; it's an open-ended "sandbox" style game where the goal is simply to craft a beautiful garden that you're proud of.

**** Microsoft May Acquire Yahoo For $50 Billion <http://mashable.com/2007/05/04/microsoft-yahoo/>
by Mashable

**** Snowflakes Promise Faster Chips <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6618919.stm>
by BBC News
Chips could run faster and be more energy efficient thanks to a process from IBM that copies nature's creation of seashells and snowflakes.

**** Digital Billboards That Turn Your Head <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/02/AR2007050202397.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Frank Ahrens, Washington Post
The world's olest, simplest way to sell a product &mdash; drawing of a picture of it on a wall &mdash; is now at the cutting edge of advertising thanks to digital technology.

**** OLPC Project Clarifies: No Plans For Windows Support <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070502-olpc-project-clarifies-no-plans-for-windows-support.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica
According to Walter Bender, president of software and content at OLPC, there is no agreement in place between OLPC and Microsoft to offer XO laptops with any version of Windows.

**** Coordinates Of The Rich And Famous <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/opinion/04gould.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Emily Gould, New York Times
Supermarket tabloids and gossip columns stil sell the illusion that stars live in a different world from the rest of us; but the internet has created a new reality, and we're all living in it together.

**** Hail, Hail, Rock'n'Roll <http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,2071415,00.html>
by Laura Barton, The Guardian
When I took out my headphones, I was startled by the noise that rushed in. Until I heard a rhythm in the shuffle of the newspapers...

**** A Corner Deli With International Appeal <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/business/smallbusiness/03zingerman.html?ex=1335844800&en=8feda972628fa3a2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Micheline Maynard, New York Times
On an unseasonably warm Sunday afternoon in mid-March, hundreds of food lovers packed a tent on Detroit Street in front of Zingerman's Delicatessen in Ann Arbor, lining up for samples to celebrate the deli's 25th anniversary.

**** Tacit Knowledge And Raincoats: A Last Note On Singapore <http://askpang.typepad.com/relevant_history/2007/05/tacit_knowledge.html>
by Relevant History
Since jaywalking is illegal, getting from Point A to Point B without having to get wet is the equivalent tacit knowledge for Singaporeans.

**** Is This The Start Of Singapore's Decline? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/05/04/article-and-open-letter-to-our-government-by-an-ex-journalist/>
by Yeo Toon Joo, theonlinecitizen

**** Government Told Not To Resume Singapore Sand Exports <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20070504.G03&irec=2>
by Fadli, Jakarta Post
Representatives of the Riau Islands Maritime Education Foundation and non-governmental organization surged the government Monday not to reopen sand exports to Singapore after the signing of an extradition treaties between the city state and Indonesia.

**** Andrew Sullivan: Hate Crimes And Double Standards
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Andrew Sullivan <http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/05/hate_crimes_and.html>: Christianists simply regard homosexuality as an evil and a sickness. Any law that implies that being gay is an identity and deserves equal respect and protection as other identities is anathema to them. Implicit in their worldview... is that it's okay to attack gays in a way that it's not okay to attack, say, Jews or blacks. This is the core position of the Christianists &mdash; which is why I refuse to call them Christians.

**** The Loss Of What-It-Was <http://rancielle.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/the-loss-of-what-it-was/>
by Latala, Dream Of Me
Singapore is losing her past. And this is why Singaporean films centre mainly on the whole nostalgia deal.

**** Singapore's DBS Bank In Flip-Flop Over Iran Accounts <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/070503/3/489ep.html>
by Jamie Lee, Reuters
DBS Group Holdings, Singapore's biggest bank, has apologised to some of its Iranian customers after it sent them letters saying their accounts would be closed because of United Nations sanctions.

**** Have Service People Produce Identification <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:1f12cfa08a252110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Chong Ten Yee, Straits Times
On various occasions when I needed services &mdash; such as telephone repairs and furniture and gas delivery &mdash; most of the businesses were reluctant to furnish the particulars or contact numbers of their servicemen or delivery staff.

**** Work Longer? Look Into Some Fundamental Issues <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:bbc1cfa08a252110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Png Eng Huat, Straits Times
We do not have such legislation <as in Japan> in Singapore and with a liberal foreign-talent policy in place, it will be quite difficult for the government to achieve its target of putting more senior citizens into the workforce.

**** The Rush To Push Deals Through... <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/186664.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
The government has announced plans to amend the current laws governing en bloc sales by the year's end. While this was welcomed by many, calls are growing for urgent actions to address issues such as the lack of transparency and neglect of minority interests during an en bloc sale.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** TV Reality (The New Plague) <http://www.contramano.net/samples/>
by Contramano
Click here to listen <http://www.contramano.net/music/mp3/TV_Reality_free.mp3>.