[MyAppleMenu] May 2, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 2 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple Introduces ProCare, One To One, And Personal Shopping <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/05/02/apple-introduces-procare-one-to-one-and-personal-shopping>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Following the rumor earlier this week taht Apple's ProCare service might be splitinto two parts, Apple updated its retail site to reflect the changes.

**** Mathematica 6 Emerges 'Reinvented' <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/02/mathematica/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Wolfram Research has announced the release of Mathematica 6, a major new version of their technical computing software for Mac OS X and other platforms.
The language and interface has been unified to improve the software's automation of algorithmic computation, interactive manipulation and dynamic presentation.

**** BYOBD Reloaded <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/05/byobd-reloaded.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
Nowadays, whenever my mother goes to the supermarkets on the first Wednesday of the month, she must have a deja vu feeling.

**** Ratatouille Is Almost Here
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Kottke <http://www.kottke.org/remainder/07/05/13338.html>: There's no permalink, but if you go to the Disney home page <http://home.disney.go.com/>, they're playing 9 minutes of Ratatouille, the new Pixar movie.

**** Well-Built With Macs <http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/joselow/?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Dustin Driver, Apple
"Apple products have allowed me to clear my mind of operating systems and organizing files, opening documents, manipulating installations and upgrading to newer hardware. It just works, which lets me do my work."

**** InCopy CS3: Expanded Workgroup Collaboration Highlights This Minor Upgrade <http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/reviews/incopycs3/index.php>
by Galen Gruman, Macworld

**** SlingPlayer 1.0 Gets Mac OS Right <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/05/slingbox/index.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
I've really enjoyed using my Slingbox, and the final version of the Mac player is a pleasure to use.

**** Coda Plays Web Developers A New Tune <http://db.tidbits.com/article/8969>
by Joe Kissell, TidBITS
The question for me &mdash; and, I suspect, for other web developers of my ilk &mdash; is whether the integration benefits of Coda, minus its missing features, are worth $80. If I didn't alrady have BBEdit and Transmit, it would be a no-brainer: absolutely yes. But since I already have powerful tools that work well, the decision is less clear.

**** Software Update Updating Software It Shouldn't Be Updating <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Random/software-update-2007-05-01-15-28>
by Rogue Amoeba
Software Update is telling me it has a new version of Backup, because it's found an application called Backup in my Applications folder.

**** The iPhone's Funny Price <http://daringfireball.net/2007/05/iphones_funny_price>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Don't compare it to other smartphones, which, yes, nearly all cost less than $499 when purchased with a plan. Compare it insgtead to the prices of the iPod.

**** Apple Slapped With iTunes Customization Lawsuit <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/01/apple_slapped_with_itunes_customization_lawsuit.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
A new lawsuit is charging Apple's iTunes Store, and almost everything it touches, with overstepping the boundaries of a smaller firm's patents.

**** Workflow Madness <http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/05/workflow_madness_1.html>
by Micah Walter, O'Reilly Digital Media Blog
I have been using Aperture since it was first released, and I never looked back. The whole experience has really made me wonder how many photographers are still out there using the Finder to organize their massive photo libraries. It's sort of a scary thought!

**** AirPort Extreme Updated For Intel Macs <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/01/extreme/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** QuickTime Update Patches Java Flaw <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/01/quicktime/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Apple on Tuesday offered QuickTime 7.1.6, an update to its core multimedia software for Mac OS X and Windows. Among the issues adjusted in this release is a fix for an exploit in QuickTime for Java that first came to light at a security conference two weeks ago.

**** Apple Releases Security Update 2007-004. Again. <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/05/01/apple-releases-security-update-2007-004-again>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
The update actually carries all of the fixes from the original 2007-004 update, but with a few fixes to the stuff that was installed in that update.

**** Apple Granted Five Design Patents <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/01/five.apple.patents/>
by MacNN
Apple has won five design patents for its iMac, black as well as white video iPods, iPod nano, and iPod armband.

**** MS Demos Silverlight On Macs At Mix07 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/01/silverlight.on.macs/>
by MacNN
Silverlight, which is Microsoft's forthcoming software for advanced browser-based multimedia contenst, is set to compete with Adobe's Flash technology which already dominates the web.

**** Digg Surrenders To Mob <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/01/digg-surrenders-to-mob/>
by Michael Arrington, Tech Crunch
To say what happened today on Digg was a "user revolt" is an understatement.

**** Quantum Cryptography Is Hacked <http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070423/full/070423-10.html>
by Geoff Brumfiel, Nature
Simulation proves it's possible to eavesdrop on super-secure encrypted messages.

**** Toward A Unified Theory Of Einstein's Life <http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=rdv39ygfyk8kl799slq69bvw27yy8l91>
by John Horgan, The Chronicle Of Higher Education
Einstein navigated the tumult of the 20th century with extraordinary grace.

**** At First They Flirt, Then College Crush <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/30/AR2007043001678.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Susan Kinzie, Washington Post
For many overachieving high school seniors, getting the rejection letter is the first real kick-in-the-gut feeling of failure. And for admissions officers who have spent month recruiting the most talented students, April can be like a bad breakup &mdash; played out thousands of times.

**** The Lesbian Bride's Handbook <http://nymag.com/news/features/2007/sexandlove/30920/>
by Ariel Levy, New York Magazine
Is white appropriate? What's the right term for a groom who's a woman? And what to say to her mother?

**** Few New Converts In Bring Your Own Bag Campaign <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/273826/1/.html>
by Ashraf Safdar, Channel NewsAsia
It has not yet been able to convert some to a "greener" way of living, especially those among the older population.
This is according to Republic Polytechnic students who are monitoring the campaign's success.

**** CCTV And Its Potential Issues <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/cctv-and-its-potential-issues/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist

**** Three Charities De-Registered By Commissioner Of Charities <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/273757/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Commissioner of Charities &mdash; exercising powers under new regulations which came in force 1 May on charity registration, public fund-raising appeals and large charities &mdash; has de-registered three charities.
These are the Children of Singapore Foundation, Children's Lukaemia Foundation Limited, and Club Sunshine Limited (previously known as Kids-In-Distress Foundation Limited).

**** Singapore Owns More Of Australia Than Australia <http://www.crikey.com.au/Business/20070502-Has-Singapore-proved-were-the-white-trash-of-Asia-.html>
by Stephen Mayne, Crikey
Since coming to office, Peter Costello and John Howard have flogged off almost everything that wasn't bolted down, including the defence department headquarters at Russell Hill, something you can't imagine the Americans doing with the Pentagon.

**** Lucky Draw To Get Low-Wage Workers To Join CPF Scheme <http://news.asiaone.com.sg/a1news/20070502_story7_1.html>
by AsiaOne
AsiaOne <http://news.asiaone.com.sg/a1news/20070502_story7_1.html>: In a bid to attract low-wage informal workers to join the Central Provident Fund (CPF) scheme, the government is introducing a lucky draw.
/Why must the government be providing monetary incentives for workers to built up their medisave accounts? Why not just mandate that all wages must have a CPF and medisave component, if that's what we are worried about?/
/This issue is probably similar to the government's insistence of not setting a minimum wage: it's an effective way to keep "business costs" down, by transferring the responsibilities of taking care of employees from the employer to the general tax-paying public./
/Isn't it shameful that we have fellow citizens, after a honest day's work, will not be paid enough to have a decent standard of living?/

**** Singapore Wants Aus-US Flights <http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21658310-913,00.html?from=public_rss>
by Peter Veness, AAP
Singapore Airlines has renewed its call for access to the lucrative trans-Pacific route following the release of figures which show demand for air travel is outstripping the number of seats available.

**** Abdullah, Hsien Loong May Dwell On Bilateral Issues - Syed Hamid <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/state_news/news.php?id=259708&cat=st>
by Bernama
Though no fixed agenda has been set, issues on bilateral ties may be discussed in talks between prime minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and his Singapore counterpart Lee Hsien Loong in Langkawi in mid-May, foreign minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said today.

**** RI Corrupters In Singapore Probably To Flee To China, Canada: Observer <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2007/5/1/ri-corrupters-in-singapore-probably-to-flee-to-china-canada-observer/>
by Antara
Indonesian corrupters hiding in Singapore will most probably flee to China or Canada while the Indonesian and Singapore governments are engaged in the process of ratifying the extradition treaty they signed in Bali last week, an observer said.

**** Fewer Repossessed HDB Flats Being Sold Off By Banks <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:29fa918887842110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Tan Hui Yee, Straits Times
Improving economy and rules to persuade buyers to be prudent among key reasons.

**** Not Fair Form TO Ask These Questions? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/186213.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
As part of a national push to fight discrimination at the workplace, a new set of guidelines for fair employment practices will be launched tomorrow. These are expected to address, among other things, some of the biggest bugbears among job-seekers here &mdash; the interview questions and application forms.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Hinterland <http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright/sounds.shtml>
by Shannon Wright
Click here to listen <http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright/hinterland.mp3>.