[MyAppleMenu] Mar 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 13 13:15:00 EDT 2007

*** Microsoft's Windows Vista Marketing May Benefit Apple
<http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=EXO50WHZU0FAYQSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=198000149>
Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek

The new operating system's hardware upgrade stigma and other Mac factors are pushing some people to consider the Apple alternative, ThinkEquity analysts muse.

*** Apple Promises To Improve iPod After-Sales Service In China
<http://www.chinatechnews.com/2007/03/13/5090-apple-promises-to-improve-ipod-after-sales-service-in-china/>
ChinaTechNews.com

Apple has sent a letter to Shanghai Municipal Consumer Interest Protection Commission and said that it will make improvements on its after-sales service, which has seen many complaints from Chinese users.

*** Apple UK Blunder Hints At Mac Pro Update
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2561>
AppleInsider

A slip-up on Apple's UK online store has revealed that a Mac Pro workstation with 8 cores of processing power is inching closer to a release.

*** Calibration Station
<http://www.macuser.com/hardware/calibration_station.php?lsrc=murss>
Kate Marshall, MacUser

Apple has changed the rules for some PowerBooks, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros. We now have a few extra steps before our batteries can be calibrated.

*** EyeTV Developer Yanks License From Miglia
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/12/eyetv/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

With the agreement terminated, Miglia can no longer ship, sell or advertise TV tuner hardware bundled with EyeTV, according to Elgato.

[Opinion]

*** 2 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks, And 1 Day
<http://fluidimagination.com/blog/2007/03/13/two-years-1-month-2-weeks-and-1-day/>
Fluid Imagination

Now, it's not often that I accmplish something, but when I do, I like to tell you all about it. Which is why I would like to announce that I have played every song on my computer at least once.

*** Embracing Apple's iPhone Froth
<http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/03/embrace_apples_.html>
Pete Mortensen, Wired News

Evaluating the prospects of the iPhone based on the condition of the American smartphone market is barking up the wrong tree.

*** What's Cooking?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/whats_cooking.html>
Oliver Breidenbach, O'Reilly Mac DevCenter Blog

The last significant Mac news dates August 7th, 2006, when Apple announced Leopard and hte Mac Pros.

*** Why Apple TV Is More Important Than iPhone
<http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5159>
David Haskin, Computerworld

Apple TV could open a whole new market for Apple and also has the potential to bring internet distribution of movies and television into the mainstream.

[Review]

*** Roxio Toast 8 For Mac Review
<http://www.photographypress.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/2065/3089/roxio-toast-mac-burning-software.phtml>
Stephen Patrick, Photographypress.co.uk

Roxio Toast 8 is a great improvement over previous versions and make some very sensible changes.

*** Armado: 3-D Action Game Is Fun, But Experienced Gamers May Crave More
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/03/reviews/armado/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Playing Armado, you don't come away exhaused or spent -- it's a simple-to-learn game that's relaxing, despite being an action game.

*** Mobile Web Use Higher In The U.S. Than Europe
<http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/03/mobile_web_use.html>
Stephen Wellman, InformationWeek

*** Mobile Web Searches Using Pictures
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=18368&ch=infotech>
Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

A new Microsoft application lets people search the internet on their cell phones using a camera instead of a keypad.

[Tech & Science]

*** Journeys To The Distant Fields Of Prime
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/science/13prof.html?ex=1331438400&en=40e81c9b00fc29cd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Kenneth Chang, New York Times

Four hundred people packed into an auditorium at U.C.L.A. in January to listen to a public lecture on prime numbers, one of the rare occasions that the topic has drawn a standing-room-only audience.

*** What's So Funny? Well, Maybe Nothing
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/science/13tier.html?_r=2&8dpc&oref=slogin&oref=slogin>
John Tierney, New York Times

Laughter, a topic that stymied philosophers for 2,000 years, is finally yielding to science.

*** The Moral Challenge Of Modern Science
<http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/14/levin.htm>
Yuval Levin, The New Atlantis

The moral challenge of modern science reaches well beyond the ambiguity of new technologies because modern science is much more than a source of technology, and scientists are far more than mere investigators and toolmakers.

*** Singapore's Defence Spending Woth Every Cent
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:4ce5acc449641110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Straits Times

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong and four other ministers held a post-budget dialogue last Saturday with 400 community leaders, one of whom queried the defence budget. This is an edited excerpt from some of the replies.

*** Mixed Signals On Granite Exports To Singapore
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/176927.asp>
Today

Quibbles over technical terms surface, while officials hint at a possible ban.

*** Are Trees Poorly Positioned?
<http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,124730,00.html?>
Ng Tze Yong, New Paper

Several of our iconic buildings are obscured behind a 'green curtain' of trees. And it's almost impossible to take an unobstructed picture of them.

[Opinion]

*** It's Not A Numbers Game
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/176936.asp>
Lee Wei Ling, National Neuroscience Institute, Today

*** SAF Overly Conservative About Malays
<http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/03/is-saf-being-overly-conservative-about.html>
gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot

By perpetuating the widely-held view in neighbouring countries that Singpaore is a Chinese-dominated country, the SAF is making itself (and Singapore) an even easier target for potential adversaries use racial politics to stir up negative sentiments among their populace against Singapore.