[MyAppleMenu] Mar 12, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 12 13:15:01 EDT 2007

*** New UK "Get A Mac" Ads: The Naughty Step Is Always Serious
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/03/12/new-uk-get-a-mac-ads-the-naughty-step-is-always-serious>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apple is plowing forward with the "Get a Mac" ads in the UK despite supposedly being met with some poor reactions over there.

*** Analyst Expects Mac Sales Spurt Soon
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17454>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

Leopard, Vista, CS3 and 'Get a Mac' ads spell Mac sales spurt.

[Opinion]

*** The iPhone, And A Humbler Side Of Steve Jobs
<http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2007/03/the_iphone_and_.html>
Jon Fortt, Business 2.0

maybe Apple is talking a good game in public, but behind the scenes it's approaching the mobile business with a lot of care. After all, as Steve Jobs himself has demonstrated, there's more to this company than the cocky exterior suggests.

*** Will Web Developers Start To Develop For Safari First?
<http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/03/will_web_developers_1.html>
Technology Evangelist

The iPhone is Apple's trojan horse into not only the development community, but also to ensure tha tweb sites work best on a Mac.

*** The Great Mac Software Hunt
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012498&source=rss_topic123>
Scot Finnie, Computerworld

The Mac shareware/freeware marketplace, while not as gargantuan as that for Windows, is filed with a rich selection of largely well-done products. There are many small small commercial Mac software companies. At the same time that Windows development companies appear to be consolidating, you have the sense of a renaissance among Mac software makers. The Mac market was reborn with OS X.

*** I'm A Big Fat Mac Newbie!
<http://www.primordia.com/blog/archives/2007/03/im_a_big_fat_mac_newbie.html>
Nick Cody, Primordial Ooze

Whoa! Wait a minue. Are all OS X discs not created equal?

*** Is The Biggest Challenge To Apple In The Enterprise Still The IT Director?
<http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/2007/03/is_the_biggest_.html>
Applepeels

The biggest challenge is that Apple stil won't communite even basic product futures to enterprises.

[Review]

*** Big Bang Brain Games
<http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/game_review_big_bang_brain_games/>
Kirk Hiner, Applelinks

This is a good collection of puzzle/logic games at a great price.

*** A Fistful Of Flicks On Your iPod
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/3989325a28.html>
Sydney Morning Herald

[Sidetrack]

*** Product Roadmap Is Over-Hyped
Heng-Cheong Leong

If I were an IT department, and I'm planning based on product roadmaps released by company, I'll be busy upgrading all my internal applications now so that we can upgrade all the Longhorn machines to the next great Windows OS release.

Product roadmaps are over-hyped; I don't know why companies still do their planning based on promises by technology companies (read: Microsoft) because these "promises" are never really kept. If I am an IT department (which, granted, I never was, so I am just a layperson) I'll plan based on what is released, not what is promised.

Of course, having said that, I would like to know whether Apple is planning to release a small-sized notebook, because I am planning to buy a new laptop and I am eyeing the cheapest MacBook Pro right now... :-)

*** Offshoring Grows Up
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=283975&source=rss_news50>
Mary Brandel, Computerworld

No longer just a tactical search for cheap commodity work, it&iacute;s increasingly about strategic sourcing.

*** Anxious Times For Net Radio
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117338580828931370-WoTz0X94Eq0z7qAzv2z464dOBJI_20070410.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal

Music industry wants higher royalties, but are labels undermining themselves?

*** As Mobile Phones Grow More Complex, Carriers Insist On Fewer Operating Systems
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/technology/12wireless.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Eric Sylvers, New York Times

[Tech & Science]

*** A New Theory Of The Universe
<http://www.theamericanscholar.org/sp07/newtheory-lanza.html>
Robert Lanza, American Scholar

Biocentrism builds on quantum physics by putting life into the equation.

[Life]

*** The State Of Stata
<http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2007/03/11/the_state_of_stata/>
Robert Campbell, Boston Globe

Now three years old, the inventive MIT building is meeting many of the goals that were set for it.

*** Who Has The Bread For A $15 Hot Dog?
<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lopez11mar11,0,2114396.column?track=mostviewed-splashpage>
Steve Lopez, Los Angeles Times

A hamburger at that price would be an obscenity. But a lowly wiener? This is history in the making, if not a sure sign of the apocalypse.

*** Singapore Defence Chief Visits
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=117382>
TNA

Thai-Singapore relations are looking more positive as Singapore's Chief of Defence Force Lt-gen Ng Yak Chung visits Bangkok as an official guest of Thailand's Supreme Command.

*** MFA Seeks Clarification On Reports Of Granite Export Ban By Indonesia
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/263485/1/.html>
Margaret Perry, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singaporeans Still Love Thailand
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=117370>
DPA

Thailand is retaining its popularity with Singaporeans despite recent bomb threats in Thailand and attacks in the southern provinces, travel agents and coach operators said on Monday.

*** Liberalisatio Of Asian Aviation To Gain Momentum In 2007 - CAPA
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=250747>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

The report highlights the pivotal role of the Singapore-Malaysia bilateral agreement in potentially leading a wave of aviation liberalisation in Asia this year. "This agreement could be a touchstone for change. It is -- paradoxically for two of the otherwise most liberal regimes in the region -- almost archaically restrictive in its current form."

*** Art Or Porn? Artists Push Boundaries In Singapore
<http://www.asiansexgazette.com/asg/middle_east/middleeast05news34.htm>
Sarah Webb, Asian Sex Gazette

As artists-in-residence at Singapore's leading print institute, Amer and Farkhondeh wonder whether their works -- juxtaposing oral sex and floral patterns, or a quote from the Koran framed by images of Wonder Woman -- will ever be seen here because of government restrictions.

*** Navy Force Proposes Ban On Granite Export
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailgeneral.asp?fileid=20070310183620&irec=6>
Antara

Commander of Indonesia Navy's Western Fleet Junior Marshal Mulyono recommended that the government also impose granite export ban because the environment impact of granite exploitation is as bad as sand exploitation.

*** Average Students Losing Out As JC-Qualified Kids Head For Polys
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:8e6235d5e6141110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Sandra Davie, Straits Times

Parents complain kids can't get into popular courses; poly says many places left in others.

*** Boom Time For IT Workers Here
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:173635d5e6141110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Serene Luo, Straits Times

Labour markets are tightening all round, but this is an especially good time to be information technology professional.

*** Buangkok Replay?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/176700.asp>
Lin Yan Qin, Today

Residents can't wait but low demand means doors to LRT station stay shut for now.

*** US Soldier Takes Potshots At SAF
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/176695.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

Mindef responds to criticism over inexperienced scholars, soft soldiers, status of Malays.

[Opinion]

*** The Job Fallacy And The Job Hyperbole
<http://perspectiveunlimited.blogspot.com/2007/03/job-fallacy-and-job-hyperbole-idea-that.html>
Perspective Unlimited

A job going to the forienger would be one less to the local: Not only is it an economic fallacy, it sometimes breeds grievous xenophobia.

*** How Important Are Those Five Minutes?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/176694.asp>
Siew Kum Hong, Today

Was the Fort Canning Tunnel worth it, after all?

*** Can't Say I Blame Them, But It's A Pound Of Cure
<http://pattayajil.blogspot.com/2007/03/cant-say-i-blame-them-but-its-pound-of.html>
Jil In Pattaya

Next time, try an ounce of prevention: Protect your national security by imposing limits on what activities that companies vital to national security are able to engage in.

*** Singaproean Happenings At SXSW
<http://vantan.org/archives/2007/03/singaporean_hap.php>
Vantan.org

*** How To Employ A Maid In Singapore
<http://kitana.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/how-to-employ-a-maid-in-singapore/>
Coffee And Cigarettes

I honestly believe that some employers need an education on humanity and human dignity.

*** US Soldier States The Bleeding Obvious
<http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/03/us-soldier-states-bleeding-obvious.html>
Mr Wang Says So

I don't see why this is a "controversial" claim. It isn't even an "open secret" -- it's not a secret at all.