[MyAppleMenu] Feb 18, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 18 13:15:01 EST 2007

*** I, Cringingly
<http://www.karppinen.fi/2007/02/16/i-cringingly/>
Marko Karppinen

It would've been a nice 1500-word analysis if the whole premise wasn't wrong.

*** How Apple Could Crush Dell
<http://apcstart.com/5359/how_apple_could_crush_dell_better_windows_pcs>
Dan Warne, APC Magazine

Apple is applying its integrated hardware-and-software model to running Windows via Boot Camp.

*** Science Needs Entrepreneurs, Google Co-Founder Says
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197006986&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All>
Reuters

Scientists need more entrepreneurial drive and could benefit by doing more to promote solutions to big human problems, Google Inc. co-founder Larry Page told a meeting of academic researchers.

*** With One Word, Children's Book Sets Off Uproar
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/books/18newb.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Julie Bosman, New York Times

The word "scrotum" does not often appear in polite conversation. Or children's literature, for that matter. Yet there it is on the first page of "The Higher Power of Lucky," by Susan Patron, this year's winner of the Newbery Medal, the most prestigious award in children's literature.

*** The Awakening Of Hanoi
<http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/travel/18hanoi.html?ex=1329454800&en=a765442c8c0a63c6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jennifer Conlin, New York Times

I thought about why I had come to Hanoi -- to see a country I knew only from history books and vaguely remembered images from the nightly news in the 1970s. Thirty years later, I found myself experiencing an enormous disconnect.

*** Kularb Kaew Case Should Be Used To Pressure Singapore: Democrat
<http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30027186>
The Nation

The Democrat Party Sunday proposed that the government use the Kularb Kaew nominee case to pressure Singapore to sell concessions of five satellites back to Thailand.

*** ICT Minister, PM Meet Monday On 'Thai' Satellites
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=116896>
TNA

Sittichai Pookalyaudom, Thailand's minister of Information and Communication Technology, said he will confer with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont Monday on ways to regain control of satellites sold one year ago to Singapore's Temasek Holdings. A proper process has to be found in an attempt to seek the return of the Shin Satellite concession, otherwise it could be seen as the Thai government bullying foreign investors, according to Mr Sittichai, adding that a committee set up to probe the deal had found several irregularities and the issue had been sent to the Office of the Council of State for legal interpretation.

[Entertainment]

*** Another Side Of Singapore
<http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-sentosa18feb18,1,1441729.story?track=rss>
Beverly Beyette, Los Angeles Times

Today, Sentosa has one foot in fantasy land and one foot in a future in which Singapore embraces,w ell, Southern California, with a gated community of luxury homes and a yacht marina. As I discovered on a visit here in September, it's moving ahead, but for now, it has a split personality and remains a destination that's still on the verge of achieving its potential.