[MyAppleMenu] Feb 17, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 17 13:15:14 EST 2007

*** eBay Watch: Apple iSight Sells For $610
<http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/ebay-watch-apple-isight-sells-for-610>
TechEBlog

*** Apple CEO Jobs Attacks Teacher Unions
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/news/4560691.html>
April Castro, Associated Press

Apple CEO Steve Jobs lambasted teacher unions today, claiming no amount of technology in the classroom would improve public schools until principals could fire bad teachers. Earlier in the panel discussion, Jobs said textbooks would be replaced with a free, online information source that was constantly updated by experts, much like the online encyclopedia Wikipedia.

*** DRM Industry Gets Defensive Over Steve Jobs' Comments
<http://techdirt.com/articles/20070216/111632.shtml>
TechDirt

It would appear that the DRM industry is starting to get a bit defesnsive about that whole Steve Jobs doesn't like DRM thing.

*** Mexican Airline Rents iPods
<http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2007-02-16T232219Z_01_N16264712_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEXICO-AIRLINES.xml&src=rss>
Reuters

Mexican flight attendants now serve fistfuls of salted snacks, carbonated drinks and, for about $5, iPods.

*** Blast Radius: Nothing But Net
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/blastradius/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

[Opinion]

*** My Old iMac
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/1835/>
Tanner Godarzi, Apple Matters

My iMac was dead. The Power Supply probably went out during the car trip. I will always remember that iMac.

*** The iPhone: Mac Or iPod?
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2091660,00.asp?kc=ZDRSS05089TX1K0001002>
Sascha Segan, PC Magazine

Mac or iPod? Jobs, Apple, and anyone who likes Apple's innovations had beeter hope it turns out to be the latter.

*** Why The iPhone Will Change The (PC) World
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011412&source=rss_topic123>
Mike Elgan, Computerworld

Imagine an iPhone the size of a big-screen TV. That's the PC of the future.

*** Appearances Can Be Deceiving: What's That 40-Gig Hard Drive Doing Inside My Apple TV?
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070216_001673.html>
PBS

Here is what I think is happening with the Apple TV hard drive. I think sometime this summer Apple will ship a firmware upgrade for the Apple TV and it will suddenly gain an important new capability. That's when the Apple TV becomes a node on the iTunes peer-to-peer video network.

[Review]

*** How Yojimbo Organizes You On Your Mac
<http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/how_yojimbo_organizes_you_on_your_mac/>
Carol Mary Miller, Mac360

I wasn't really adjusting my way of working so much as I finally found something that let me consolidate five or six applications into one that was easy to get started and grows with me. That's sweet. That's the Mac way.

*** Apple Offers 802.11n, And A Wireless Wow
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011378&pageNumber=1>
Ken Mingis, Computerworld

Not only has Apple advanced the wireless world, it's now started users on the road to home storage networks.

*** AirPort Extreme Base Station
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/02/reviews/apextremebase/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

Apple's new AirPort Extreme Base Station may have been a long time coming, but it's worth the wait for anyone whose network needs either greater speed or longer distance.

[Sidetrack]

*** Hard At Work
Heng-Cheong Leong

The Onion <http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/apple_hard_at_work_making>: Apple Hard at Work Making iPhone Obsolete

"When the second-generation iPhone comes out this fall, we want iPhone users to feel not just jealous, but downright foolish for owning such laughably primitive technology."

*** New York Gets Googled
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197006843&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All>
John Foley, InformationWeek

The Big Apple has become an epicenter of tech talent and innovation -- and Google's second home.

*** Debate Grows Over Software-As-A-Service Architecture
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197006903&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All>
J. Nicholas Hoover, InformationWeek

Browser-based applications offer simplicity, but some argue the PC should have a role, too.

*** Net Neutrality Bill Offered In Maryland
<http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6160256.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Anne Broache, CNET News.com

Not content to wait for Congress to act, a group of Maryland state legislators is backing a smaller-scale attempt at putting a Net neutrality mandate in place.

*** MIT Improves Analog Circuit For Consumer Devices
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/16/HNmitanalog_1.html>
Ben Ames, IDG News Service

The MIT team showed a comparator-based switched capacitor circuit, which could be manufactured with smaller size and better power efficiency than traditional analog circuits using operational amplifiers.

*** Live From New York, It's Cold People Waiting In Line
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/16/arts/television/16chea.html?ex=1329282000&en=bf58681b71ecdfd4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Ben Sisario, New York Times

As I learned while standing my way into every studio I could, the price for those free seats is time. And in deep winter there is another cost: the price of long johns. And something to protest tender ears from bitterly unfunny gusts.

[Ramblings]

*** Musical Chairs
Heng-Cheong Leong

According to a Bernama <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=247438>, 40% of Singapore's senior corporate staff are looking to leave their current job.

The the pessimistic, this simply shows an elaborate game of musical chairs. But to the rest of us non-senior-corporate-staff folks, hey, it's an opportunity. :-)

[News]

*** Singapore Traffic Wardens Find Internet Infamy
<http://www.arabtimesonline.com/arabtimes/breakingnews/view.asp?msgID=13318>
Reuters

Two Singapore traffic wardens got a taste of their own medicine when they were photographed having breakfast -- with their motorbikes parked illegally nearby -- after "busting" a rush hour motorist.

*** Nitya Plays Down Sonthi Speech
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=116875>
Bangkok Post

Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin's remarks that he hoped to take control of Shin Satellite and its operations sold to temasek Holdings of Singapore would not affect bilateral ties between Thailand and the city state, Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram hoped on Saturday. But Mr Nitya said he had not yet followed up on the matter, so he did not actually know the consequences, if any, of the remarks.

*** Singapore MPs' Remarks On "Politics Of Envy" Criticised
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=247484>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

Recent remarks by members of Parliament about Singapore neighbours being envious of the island state's progress might have caused some ripples -- if not reaching the neighbours' shores, then at least within Singapore's own.

*** Singapore Heads Asian House Price League
<http://www.fly-2let.co.uk/news286.htm>
Fly2let

Asia's fastest rate of house price rises were in Singapore last year. There real -- after inflation -- values rose by 9.5 per cent the GLobal Property Guide has reported.

*** Thriving Economy Best Way To Help Middle-Income
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/172609.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

"The way to help middle-income," said Dr Ng eng Hen, Manpower Minister, "is to reduce corporate tax, build infrastructure so that wages will rise, because the best protection for the middle-income is a very tight labour market."

*** The Forgotten Malls Of Orchard Road
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/172572.asp>
Pearlyn Tham, Today

It's a time of rebirth for Singapore's shopping belt, but why do some buildings seem to want no part of it?

*** In Singapore, Lawmakers Sing Alongside "God Of Fortune" To Welcome The Lunar New Year
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/17/asia/AS-GEN-Singapore-Lunar-New-Year.php>
Associated Press

Against the backdrop of Singapore's city skyline, the bearded 20-meter-tall Chinese deity dressed in a red imperial gown and a large hat smiles benevolently at the crowds gazing up at him from beneath his abundant waistline.

*** No Nudes Is Good Nudes In Singapore
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=116865>
DPA

A book featuring images of Asian celebrities has been banned in Singapore because of "excessive nudity," a government minister said Saturday.

*** MFA Surprised At Thai Leder's Remarks On Shin Corp
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/259049/1/.html>
Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's Foreign Affairs Ministry says it is surprised at what the chief of Thailand's Council for National security, Sonthi Boonyaratglin, is reported to have said about getting back Thai assets which have been sold to foreigners. Responding to media queries, the MFA's spokesperson said Singapore should wait for the Thai government to clarify what those remarks meant.

[Opinion]

*** The First And Last Word
<http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/02/the_first_and_l.html>
Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

The mainstream media is under siege from the new media and the old authority.

*** Can Singapore's Multi-Racial Fabric Cope?
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/columnists/2007/2/17/insightdownsouth/16908128&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

This rapid expansion has raised mixed feelings and a hard question "Can we cope?"

*** No Incentives For Small-Time Businesses, New Entrants
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:97a624c0bfac0110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Simon Ng Yap Peng, Straits Times

The Budget should encourage the entrepreneurial spirit of businessmen and the new entrants.

*** Model Drawing Method Best For Primary Maths
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:96f324c0bfac0110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Ho Peng, Ministry of Education, Tan Yap Kwang, Singapore Examinations And Assessment Board, Straits Times

While pupils are not required to use algebra to solve word problems in PSLE Mathematics, they are also not restricted to the use of any one particular method.

*** PAP Govt Has A Kind Heart...
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/02/pap-govt-has-kind-heart.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

I don't really know what unemployed people get, because there is no mention in the budget report about these people.