[MyAppleMenu] Dec 20, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 20 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** Think Secret Settles Apple Lawsuit, Shuts Down <http://cultofmac.com/?p=1588>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

**** Is Apple In Danger Of Becoming Microsoft? <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9835695-17.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
The term "evil empire" is outdated, stupid, and does nothing to solve one of the biggest issues we face today: are we getting the kinds of products we want? So far, Apple has been able to provide just that. But if it decides to go the way of Microsoft, delivering crap, trust me, Steve Jobs will be the first to know about it.

**** CNET"s Word Of The Day: Disingenuous <http://www.macuser.com/music/cnets_word_of_the_day_disingen.php?lsrc=murss>
by Derik DeLong, MacUser
Since when did CNET lease out column space to advertisers?

**** Steve Jobs Rescues Your MacBook From Pittsburgh <http://consumerist.com/335689/steve-jobs-rescues-your-macbook-from-pittsburgh>
by Consumerist
Steve Jobs' email address has the power to fetch your MacBook from Pittsburgh and send it to Canada.

**** iPhone OS Beats Windows Mobile <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_devices&articleId=9053619&taxonomyId=75&intsrc=kc_top>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Less than six months after its debut, Apple Inc.'s iPhone is used by 50% more people to browse the internet than all the phones running Microsoft Corp.'s long-established Windows Mobile operating system, according to data from a research company.

**** Macs Seem To Sell Themselves (And Users Help) <http://www.rassoc.com/gregr/weblog/2007/12/18/macs-seem-to-sell-themselves-and-users-help/>
by Greg Reinacker
The Mac has the reputation of being easy to use and trouble-free.

**** An Apple Fanboy's Lament <http://www.news.com/An-Apple-fanboys-lament/2010-1041_3-6223438.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Richard Bullwinkle, CNET News.com
If we wat consumers to have faith in electronic media, they have to believe that the content they buy will last longer than the few years we've all had iPods.

**** Circumventing Censorship <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19963/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
The Psiphon network frustrates censors by using trusted friends.

**** Differences Between European And US Adoption Of Open Source <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9835653-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com
Government IT workers (especially in Europe) tend to buy into the ideals of open source more fully than their private-sector counterparts.

**** Blade Runner: The Complete Ultimate Visionary Final Cut Collector's Edition Is Here! <http://www.slate.com/id/2180354/fr/rss/>
by Stephen Metcalf, Slate
How will its fans defend it now?

**** Trouble And Strife: Christmas In Singapore <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2007/12/20/rosiemilne.xml>
by Rosie Milne, Telegraph
Here in equatorial Singapore, the CHristmas weather can certainly be frightful, but as a consequence of monsoon rain, not of snow.
Still, at this time of year an expat girl can grow wistful for winter.

**** Paying More For Good People - What If It Backfires? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/12/20/paying-more-for-good-people-%e2%80%93-what-if-it-backfires/>
by Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
The question we need to ask is this: If public servants are seen to be money-grabbers, who then will want to step forth and serve?

**** ComfortDelgro's "Self-Examination" Exercise <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/12/20/comfortdelgros-self-examination-exercise/>
by Ong Tiong Ling, theonlinecitizen
I suggest that Temasek buy over all the shares from the shareholders and merge SMRT and SBSTransit. Then work out a justifiable revenue that is enough to provide for maintenance cost, bus/train upgrading and overhead cost.

**** Simplest Thing Is To 'Blame A Dead Man' <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,151127,00.html?>
by Ng Tze Yong, New Paper
Boeing 737's rudder control system may have been blamed for the MI 185's tragedy. But the suicide theory lingers on...

**** No Official Reply To My Open Letter <http://catherinelim.sg/2007/12/19/no-official-reply-to-my-open-letter/>
by Catherine Lim
The present PAP government will allow open debate only on those topics that have created a public hue and cry.

**** Half Of SIngapore's Workforce Do Not Want To Work Past 60: Poll <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/318232/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Only 5% said they wish to remain in the workforce till they're 65.
See Also:
Half Of The Singapore Workforce Don't Want To Work Past 60: Nielsen <http://www.acnielsen.com.sg/site/20071219.htm>, by Nielsen. Majority feel they need over S$1MM to retire comfortably.
/I wonder how many percent of workers is working in a job that they really like./

**** NETS Did Not Infringe Competition Act By Giving Discounts To Shops <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/318235/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
The Competition Commission of Singapore said NETS (Network for Electronic Transfers Singapore) did not infringe the Competition Act by giving discounts to shops for 12 months, if they offer NETS only, and no other form of cashless payment such as credit cards.
See Also:
The Competition COmmission Of SIngapore Closes Its Inquiry Into The NETS Affinity Programme <http://www.ccs.gov.sg/NewsEvents/PressReleases/NETS+AP.htm>, by Competition Commission of Singapore, Singapore Government. The introduction of this discount scheme is likely to result in more merchants accepting NETS. Hence, consumers will have an added choice of using NETS at the stores of AP merchants.

**** Singapore's ST Telemedia Appeals Anti-Competitive Ruling In Indonesia <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-21776072.htm>
by Thomson Financial