[MyAppleMenu] Dec 19, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 19 13:15:01 EST 2007

**** Apple In Talks To Launch iPhone In Japan <http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ikkLEUFGtSkkq54ifp3IW4h5kHzAD8TK7EP00>
by Associated Press
Apple Inc. is negotiating with Japan's top mobile phone carrier to launch the iPhone in Japan, though the cut of subscriber revenue that Apple wants has been a sticking point, according to a report published Tuesday.

**** MacBook Keyboard Fix In Software Update <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/12/18/macbook-keyboard-fix-in-software-update/>
by Cory Bohon, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Why Apple Should Launch iTunes Movie Rentals Now <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9835258-17.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
Why should Apple get in on this business, you ask? It's simple, really: to address a growing demand of people looking for such a service and to revive the Apple TV.

**** Sonic The Hedgehog, Peggle Come To The iPod <http://www.macworld.com/article/131132/2007/12/ipodgames.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Sega of America announced Tuesday that its legendary side-scrolling action game Sonic the Hedgehog is now available for the Apple iPod.

**** BetterZip Quick Look Generator 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/131146/2007/12/betterzipplugin.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Google May Have Finally Figured Out What To Do With Google Apps <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=854>
by Garett Rogers, ZDNet.com

**** No Need For Government Net Controls, Say U.S. Tech Workers <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9835347-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Anne Broache, CNET News.com

**** Sony Reader Felled By The Classics <http://www.news.com/Sony-Reader-felled-by-the-classics/2100-1041_3-6223378.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

**** Now No Longer Silent As A Lamb <http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2228398,00.html>
by Vanessa Thorpe, The Guardian
It was a revelation that once could have destroyed a career. But when the former child star and famously private double Oscar winner finally 'came out' at an awards ceremony, it was her timing that fascinated the media.

**** India's Peaceful Rise <http://www.forbes.com/leadership/forbes/2007/1224/033.html>
by Lee Kuan Yew, Forbes
Singapore and Southeast Asia (Asean), sandwiched between these two behemoths, need China and India to achieve a balanced relationship, one that allows both to grow and prosper, pulling up the rest of Asia-East, SOutheast and South&mdash;with them.

**** Singapore Property Stocks Slow As Tax Rise Curbs Boom <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a_H.eXuYPBjk&refer=home>
by Chen Shiyin, Bloomberg
Singapore's property comanies may lag behnd Asian real estate developers for a second straight year in 2008 as government limits on speculation cool the housing market.

**** Guest Workers In Singapore <http://theamericanscene.com/2007/12/18/guest-workers-in-singapore>
by Tim Lee, The American Scene
It's not clear how relevant Singapore's experience is to the American immigration debate. The big difference is that Singapore is an authoritarian regime that isn't too worried about equality or civil liberties, nor does it have to worry as much about short-term political expediency.

**** Is The Singaporean Population Shrinking? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/12/19/is-the-singaporean-population-shrinking-part-2/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** What Is The Point? <http://udders.blogspot.com/2007/12/what-is-point.html>
by I Have Succumbed To Peer Pressure

**** Singapore Boosts Pay For Officials... Again <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=942&Itemid=31>
by Asia Sentinel
The world's highest-paid public servants get a second round of pay increases with the New Year.

**** Singapore Biotech Sector Loses Stem Cell Researcher Alan Colman <http://www.eyeondna.com/2007/12/18/singapore-biotech-sector-loses-stem-cell-researcher-alan-colman/>
by Hsien-Hsien Lei, Eye On DNA
Despite this set of bad news, I'm not convinced the situation is so dire.

**** I Think Singapore's Trafic Is Worse Than Ho Chi Minh And Tapiei! <http://highwayoflife.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/taipeihcmc/>
by Highway Of Life

**** Deaf, Blind Or Just Oblivious? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/228260.asp>
by Christina P Ondevilla, Today
When my Singaporean colleagues ask me what I miss the most about my country, I tell them I miss the acts of common courtesy. I miss being in a place where men still open doors, give up their seats for women, children and the elderly, and where the young help the elderly. We don't have to tell people to be courteous because it is already practised.

**** Christopher De Souza's Four Rebuttals <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-821.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** After 24 Years, Passing Through, Speaking Up <http://www.yawningbread.org/guest_2007/guw-147.htm>
by Gareth Steen, Yawning Bread
So-called "gay rights" are simply nothing more than human rights. Only when 377A is removed from the penal code will gays in Singapore be fully granted first class citizenship.