[MyAppleMenu] Dec 11, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 11 13:15:01 EST 2007

**** Apple Retail Shifts Empty .Mac Boxes <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19914>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple's smart move to integrate .Mac services into Macs and iLife have driven strong sales of the service - despite complaints as to the system's reliability.

**** You Don't Have To Buy Apple Monitors For Your Macs <http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2007/12/you_dont_have_t.html>
by Alan Zeichick, bMighty.com
What woudl you want to use a non-Apple monitor? Cost is one reason.

**** One Last Thing For 2007
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
If I remember my history correctly, Apple does sneak out a few small updates to its product line just before any expected large updates during the Expo or the WWDC. Which is my way of saying that Ars Technica has a rumor that Apple will have television shows on iTunes in Canada <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/10/tv-to-make-its-debut-on-itunes-canada-this-week> real soon now.
And if past rumors are accurate, this will also be the month where iTunes expand geographically &mdash; perhaps into Singapore, where Apple has been trying to get "unauthorised" iPhones off the shelf space.

**** Apple: 40 New Retail Stores In 2008 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/12/10/40.new.retail.stores.in.08/>
by MacNN

**** Leopard Revealing Apple Cinema HD Display Corruption <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/10/leopard-revealing-apple-cinema-hd-display-corruption>
by Erik Kennedy, Ars Technica

**** Keeping Those Old Macs Useful <http://lowendmac.com/myturn/my07/1210.html>
by David Passell, Low End Mac

**** Why The Apple TV Failed <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/10/why-the-apple-tv-failed>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica
If it isn't clear&mdash;and apparently it's not at Apple&mdash;the problem with the Apple TV is that its fate is ultimately in the hands of the content owners, not Apple. Those still thinking Steve Jobs will work out a deal with the movie studios like he did with the music labels need to understand that is exactly why he /won't/ get such a deal.
/Will Steve Jobs ever give up the television-on-iTunes idea, and add a DVR and DVD tray into Apple TV?/

**** Macworld Expo To Feature New Show Floor Attractions <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/10/macworldexpo/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Phase For iPod: Guitar Hero-Like Music Game Is Everything iPod Gaming Should Be <http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/12/phase/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Playlist
Phase is exactly what iPod gaming should be about &mdash; rather than reinventing the iPod as an also-ran game system, making it a truly unique game experience.

**** One Month With The iPhone <http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2007/12/one-month-with-the-iphone.htm>
by Mark Wilson
Unlike every other mobile handset that I've ever owned, I enjoy using my iPhone.

**** Using A Mac... Why Oh Why? <http://www.rassoc.com/gregr/weblog/2007/12/10/using-a-macwhy-oh-why/>
by Greg Reinacker
I don't miss Windows.

**** Five Reasons Why Apple Stores Are Rockin' <http://techiqmag.com/2007/12/10/five-reasons-why-apple-stores-are-rockin/>
by TechIQ
Apple has a simple, clearly positioned product line. And the stuff works.

**** iPhone On Right Track, But Won't Knock iPod Sales Yet &mdash; Report <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/12/10/iphone_on_right_track_but_wont_knock_ipod_sales_yet____report.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
In spite of its convergence appeal, the iPhone won't yet crave into the iPod's success &mdash; but it checks off many of the boxes needed for a future windfall, according to an investor note from analyst firm Piper Jaffray.
/Perhaps, we are all waiting for the "hell freezes over" event, just like the Windows' iPod: the Great Unlocking Of The iPhone. (Or maybe the SDK will be enough?)/

**** Traveling Music Teacher Keeps Students In Tune <http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/newportmesa/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple
In the Middle Ages traveling minstrels roamed between castles and manors, providing musical entertainment for royalty. Sarah Grenier has much in common with those performers of old: She divides her time on the road, bringing musical instruction to students at two Southern California elementary schools. Grenier leaves the mandolin and lute at home, however. Instead, her teaching instruments of choice are a MacBook computer and an iPod. Still, the caliber of education she provides is fit for all future kings and queens.

**** Appel Ups iPhone Purchase Limit To Five <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9831927-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
After putting a two-unit limit on purchases of the iPhoen back in October, the company has quietly raised the limit back to five.

**** Is Ive Apple's Next CEO? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/12/is_ive_apples_n.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hessldahl, BusinessWeek
As long as Jobs loves going to work every day, anyone with their eye on the CEO job will likely have a long wait.
See Also:
Ive Could Eventually Replace Jobs At Apple, Says Paper <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/10/ive-could-eventually-replace-jobs-at-apple-says-paper>, by Justin Berka, Ars Technica.
/Maybe, someday, one day, the "One More Thing" event will not be a new computer or new phone or new music player, but a new guy. :-)/

**** How Not To Adapt To The Internet <http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-strike11dec11,0,1182.story?track=rss>
by Los Angeles Times
The music industry suffered big losses before it warmed to the web. How long will it take Hollywood?

**** LinkedIn Needs To ReachOut <http://gigaom.com/2007/12/10/linkedin-needs-to-reachout/>
by Anne Zelenka, GigaOM
Professional networking service LinkedIn wants to emulate Facebook's success by drawing users and applications through the use of a similar portal strategy. But LinkedIn's best chance at success lies in doing just the opposite: reaching out to other web sites and applications.
See Also:
LinkedIn Opens Site To Developers <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/10/LinkedIn-opens-site-to-developers_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/10/LinkedIn-opens-site-to-developers_1.html>, by Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service.

**** CIA No Role Model For CIOs <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/10/CIA-no-role-model-for-CIOs_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/10/CIA-no-role-model-for-CIOs_1.html>
by Grant Gross, IDG News Service

**** Buyers Forgive Facebook <http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003682812>
by Mike Shields, MediaWeek

**** The World War Speaks <http://www.slate.com/id/2175524/fr/rss/>
by Sandra Beasley, Slate

**** 2 Singapore Funds Invest And Recruit Talent Abroad <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/business/worldbusiness/11fund.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by Wayne Arnold, New York Times

**** Cab Stands On The Fringes Of Downtown Will Be Affected By Fare Hike: Experts <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_185783.html>
by Maria Almenoar and Jessica Jaganathan, Straits Times
If you need to hail a cab on the fringes of downtown, be prepared to wait, a transport expert warned on Tuesday. In the wake of new rules that give some cabbies a bonus for picking up passengers in the heart of the city, many are likely to skip the outskirts and make a bee-line for places like Orchard Road.

**** UNSW Signs Settlement Agreement With Singapore Government <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/316820/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
The University of New South Wales and EDB, as well as other Singapore agencies, have reached a settlement over their fallout.
No details were provided as to how much the settlement agreement involves.
/Should the government be invovled in such secret deals using public funds?/
See Also:
UNSW Agrees To Repay $32.3m <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_185714.html>, by Sandra Davie, Straits Times. The University of New South Wales (UNSW), which shut its Asia campus here early this year, has agreed to repay Singapore over $32 million in backed loans and grants, The Straits Times has learnt.

**** Singapore Calls For New Broadband Network Bids <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSSIN29378120071211>
by Reuters
Singapore called on Tuesday for bids to build the country's next-generation broadband network, saying the winning bidder would have to be structurally separate from the city-state's telecommunication and internet operators.

**** Why I'm Disturbed <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/176725.html>
by Mollymeek

>From whom do you think Mindef got the money to compensate the farmers? And guess what? Mindef is not telling us how much it paid in compensation.

**** Who Really Is "Not Ready" For A Non-Chinese PM? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/12/11/who-really-is-not-ready-for-a-non-chinese-pm/>
by Gerald Giam, theonlinecitizen

**** When A Big Tip Turns Into Big Trouble <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/business/11flier.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by John McDonnell, New York Times
In my job, I travel about 200,000 miles a year. After a while every city starts to look alike. But I can always tell what part of the world I'm in by its drivers. Growing up in Boston, I figured I could handle any type of problem the gods of driving threw at me. I met my match in Singapore, a place known for its law-abiding citizens.

**** Psst! Straits Times, Stop Clogging Up My Screen! (Pictures Included) <http://blog.simplyjean.com/2007/12/11/psst-straits-times-stop-clogging-up-my-screen-pictures-included/>
by Simply Jean

**** The Men In Uniform Gets It Right <http://www.youngupstarts.com/index.php/2007/12/10/the-men-in-uniform-gets-it-right/>
by Daniel Goh, Young Upstarts
While the Prima Deli crisis continues to escalate, the guys in MINDEF actually gets it quite right dealing with their own recent public relations mishap.

**** Singapore Investment Arm To Sink Billions Into UBS <http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/10/ubs-gic-singapore-markets-equity-cx_jc_1210markets03.html>
by Shu-Ching Jean Chen, Forbes
See Also:
Singapore's Temasek Says Ups Sorak Stake To 75 Pct <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSSGC00151620071211>, by Reuters.
Sovereign Funds Scoop Up Crisis Victims <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/money/2007/12/11/ccswf111.xml>, by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, Telegraph.

**** Analysts Not Worried About Singapore's Competitiveness <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/316608/1/.html>
by Pamela Almeda, Channel NewsAsia

**** Possible US Recession Key Concern For Singapore's Growth In 2008 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/316613/1/.html>
by Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia

**** More Jobs, Higher Pay In The Offing <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/226798.asp>
by Sheralyn Tay, Today
Here's one more reason to celebrate in the New Year &mdash; the job market is expected to remain rosy for all sectors in the first quarter of 2008, with the highest employment projections for teachers and public administrators, according to the Manpower Employment Outlook Survey.
/The unasnwered question: will those without jobs or with low-paying jobs today get a better job? The boom may not, obviously, apply to them./

**** Dialogue Is A Start <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/226849.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
The government and community may be going all out to promote inter-faith dialogues, but scepticism still remains, it seems, about the effectiveness of such discussions.

**** Set-Top Box Rental Fees: StarHub Explains <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_185374.html>
by Caitlin Fua, StarHub, Straits Times
We would also like to point out that in many markets around the world, customers are charged the full fee for all subscribed channels for each additional set-top box. In comparison, StarHub customers only need to pay a relatively low monthly charge for each additional set-top box, and do not have to pay additional fees for each channel accessed from these set-top boxes.
/If you still don't understand, maybe this explanation will help: we couldn't have charge you much more, but we didn't, so just be grateful, okay? :-)/

**** Be Grateful To Migrant Workers And Foreigners <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_185376.html>
by Leaena Tambyah, Straits Times
See Also:
Attitude Towards Foreigners - We Can Do Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_185380.html>, by Wong Jock Onn, Straits Times.

**** Social Stability Is Key: Poll <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/226831.asp>
by Zul Othman, Today
Singaporeans generally prefer social stability to freedom of the press. At the same time, more feel that government or publicly-funded media are doing a "good job" in accurately reporting news compared to privately-funded companies.
/Since when stabilty and freedom of the press are on the opposite end of a spectrum? We can't have both? That's news to me./