[MyAppleMenu] Dec 10, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 10 13:15:02 EST 2007

**** Virtualized Macs In The Enterprise <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19893>
by Lisa Hoover, CIO.com

**** Apple's Big Mac Attack Fuels Growth <http://www.echannelline.com/usa/brief.cfm?item=14881>
by eChannelLine

**** Leopard Shows Windows Its Claws <http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/2007/12/10/134355/Leopard-shows.htm>
by Christoph Dernbach, DPA

**** Apple Calls The Tune In Mobile Music <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article3026165.ece>
by Elizabeth Judge, The Times
Paolo Pescatore, director of operator strategy at CCS Insight, the telecoms research group, says: "The awareness of the iPhone as a device, and its powerfulness, has forced the mobile companies to react and consider their own initiatives."

**** NetNewsWire: Just What You Wanted <http://shawnblanc.net/2007/netnewswire-just-what-you-wanted/>
by Shawn Blanc
What makes NetNewsWire so great is that it at once appeals to every level of user.

**** NTFS Options For Mac Expand <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9351>
by Joe Kissell, TidBITS

**** Misunderstanding Enterprise Software <http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2007/12/michael_krigsma.php>
by Nicholas Carr, Rought Type

**** An American In Hollywood <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/12/17/071217po_poem_bidart>
by Frank Bidart, New Yorker

**** The King Of Sentences <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/12/17/071217fi_fiction_lethem>
by Jonathan Lethem, New Yorker
This was the time when all we could talk about was sentences, sentences&mdash;nothing else stirred us. Whatever happened in those days, whatever befell our regard, Clea and I couldn't rest until it had been converted into what we told ourselves were astonishingly unprecedented and charming sentences.

**** Lawyers Petition Law Society Of Singapore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/12/10/lawyers-petition-law-society-of-singapore/>
by theonlinecitizen

**** Selective Liberalization - On The Brink Of Breakdown? <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/12/selective-liber.html>
by Bernard Leong, Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

**** Singapore Group Urges Rights Commission <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h2b_UvZT6JYVoytTAb5Q8lR1cUvg>
by AFP
Singapore should follow its less-developed neighbours and create an independent human rights commission, an activist said Monday after launching a petition urging establishment of the body.

**** Malaysia And Singapore: Rising Tide Lifts Port Neighbours <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/892c211a-a41e-11dc-a28d-0000779fd2ac.html>
by John Burton, Financial Times
In the early 2000s, there were predictions of a three-way struggle to attract shipping among the Malay peninsula's main ports of SIngapore, Port Klang and newcomer Tanjung Pelepas.
But the predictions proved wrong and all three have propsered because of intcreased traffic between Europe and Asia.

**** Singapore Plans Second Cruise Ship Terminal <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ijvyIHFVUfAtQWW0-p80mkBXujjg>
by AFP
Work on a second Singapore cruise ship terminal is likely to start next year, the chief of the city-state's tourism board said Monday.

**** ComfortDelGro Overhauls Taxi Fare Structure <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/316573/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Flagging down a Comfort or CityCab will cost $0.30 more at $2.80. The metered fare has also been adjusted.
Instead of the $2 surcharge for peak hour travel, there will now be a premium levied. It will be 35 per cent of the metered fare. And the CBD surcharge will go up by $2 to $3.

**** Singapore Suits Get A Bad Rap <http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/5112/1/>
by Patrick Frater, Variety Asia
It highlights an unfortunate reality: that Singapore's media adinistrators are bigger stars than its moviemakers.

**** Singapore Eatery Offers Takeaway Tiffins In Green Bid <http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKSIN22693220071210>
by Melanie Lee, Reuters
A popular Singapore eatery is bringing back the tiffin to entice customers keen to save the planet while enjoying a blast from the past.

**** World's Leading Schools Set Up Campuses In Singapore <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_185271.html>
by Straits Times

**** Party Drugs A Hit With Wealthy In Singapore <http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSSIN135004>
by Melanie Lee, Reuters
Singaporean authorities say drug use is low, but anecdotal evidence tells of the emergence of an underground party drug scene mostly at night clubs frequented by the wealthy.

**** PAP Or Not, Singaporeans Are Like Frogs In A Well <http://haumau.org/index.php/2007/12/09/pap-or-not-singaporeans-are-like-frogs-in-a-well/>
by Hau Mau

**** Facts On The Ground More Eloquent Than Statistics: Ngiam <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/226611.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Questioning the Monetary Authority of Singapore's use of the exchange rate as the key monetary policy instrument &mdash; while eschewing the interest rate as a tool &mdash; Mr Ngiam Tong Dow said that long-term growth could only be sustained by increases in productivity.
Such shortsightedness has come back to haunt Singapore in some instances, Mr Ngiam added.

**** The Media Is Not Free, But Who Cares? <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/176236.html>
by Mollymeek