[MyAppleMenu] Aug 12, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 12 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** My Next Computer... Mac Mini? <http://ascarter.net/blog/2007/08/11/my-next-computer-mac-mini/>
by Andrew Carter

**** Apple Beats Microsoft At Its Own Open XML Game <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135849-c,techindustrytrends/article.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple Inc.'s release of iWork '08 this week is "embarrassing," an analyst said Friday, not for its maker, but for Apple's rival, Microsoft Corp.

**** Sticking With The Apple Remote <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/11/sticking-with-the-apple-remote/>
by Mike Schramm, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Judge Says Unix Copyrights Rightfully Belong To Novell <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/technology/11novell.html?ex=1344571200&en=053d633402c40956&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink>
by John Markoff, New York Times
In a decision that may finally settle one of the most bitter legal battles surrounding software widely used in corporate data centers, a federal district court judge in Utah ruled Friday afternoon that Novell, not the SCO Group, is the righful owner of the copyrights covering the Unix operating system.

**** The Road To Clarity <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/magazine/12fonts-t.html?ex=1344571200&en=5b5486eee4ea630c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Joshua Yaffa, New York Times
The typeface is the brainchild of Don Meeker, an environmental graphic designer, and James Montalbano, a type designer. They set out to fix a problem with a highway font, and their solution &mdash; more than a decade in the making &mdash; may end up changing a lot more than just the view from the dashboard.

**** Fashion: Singapore Airlines Uniform <http://www.wallpaper.com/fashion/singapore-airlines-uniform/1638>
by Wallpaper

**** Autumn In Singapore? <http://coolinsights.blogspot.com/2007/08/autumn-in-singapore.html>
by Walter Lim, Cooler Insights
One of the things which I love about Jewel Box at Mount Faber is its decor.

**** Filled With Passion <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/8/11/columnists/insightdownsouth/18549632&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
SIngapore not onl marks its National Day on a grand scale but has also evolved it into a national icon that stirs the nation's emotions.

**** Relations With Neighbours Basically Sound, Says Goh <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=278820>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
Singapore will continue to work closely with its neighbours and will not be distracted by outstanding bilateral issues it has with them, senior minister Goh Chok Tong said.

**** When Will We Stop Breaking Senseless World Records? <http://decayonnet.blogspot.com/2007/08/when-will-we-stop-breaking-senseless.html>
by Decay On Net
Can't we break some meaningful records? Like most people to offer a seat to a pregnant woman on MRT? Or shortest waiting time for taxi along Orchard Road on a Friday night? How about least number of guests who turn up late for wedding dinners?

**** Minimum Wage Not The Way To Go <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_147317.html>
by Alvin Harvey Kam Siew Wah, Straits Times
Raising the minimum wage hurts low-skilled workers in two ways. First, there will be fewer jobs. Second, with a large pool of applicants, competition will be stiffer. Job training and skills upgrading remain crucial for vulnerable workers to escape the vicious cycle of falling real wages.
/Training and upgrading is only part of the equation, in my opinion. Ensuring the employers structure the available jobs so that it's worthwhile to pay at least minimum wage is another part of the equation./

**** City Of Possibilities Or Fluff City? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/08/12/city-of-possibilities-or-fluff-city/>
by Ned Stark and Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
Let us not mistake superficilities for substance, or fluff for identity.
It is time the prime minister addresses these issues. That would be a true mark of a leader.

**** Popular Bar Slammed For Cheeky Use Of Stars &amp; Crescent Of Singapore Flag <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,138442,00.html?>
by Esther Au Yong, New Paper
What's unusual is that her striking red swimsuit or underwear is emblaoned with the crescent and five stars of our national flag.
Now take a closer look at the image, and you'll spot, peeking out from a cornr of the swimsuit, a few strnds of pubic hair.

**** Think Big Or Play Safe? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,138462,00.html?>
by Low Ching Ling, New Paper
Who can best be counted on to provide sterling returns, and do so reasonably safely? Temasek Holdings seems the best bet.
See Also:
Dear Temasek, Please Take My Money <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,138464,00.html?>, by Leong Ching, New Paper.