[MyAppleMenu] Aug 11, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 11 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Moneydance 2007 Enhances Interface <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/10/moneydance/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** The Quiet Riot: iPhone Volume Complaints Continue To Pour In <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/10/the-quiet-riot-iphone-volume-complaints-continue-to-pour-in/>
by iPhone Atlas

**** First Look: Keynote '08 <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firstlooks/flkeynote/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Franklin N. Tessler, Macworld
Path animation, instant transparency highlight Apple's updated presentation app.

**** iPhoto '08 Does Selective Importing <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/10/tuaw-tip-iphoto-08-does-selective-importing/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
The new import dialog itself has been updated, presenting thumbnails of all the photos on the device you plugged in.

**** And They Call It The Cult Of Mac... <http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/washington/plugged/entries/2007/08/10/and_they_call_it_the_cult_of_m.html>
by Bob Keefe, Austin American-Statesman
Of course none of the web "journalists" bothered to call and ask me, but my qustion had nothing to do with Apple or its computer design and all to do with a story I'm working on about the future of the long-running "Intel Inside" program.
See Also:
Some Perspective De On "Intel Sticker Guy" <http://www.macobserver.com/columns/ihnatko/2007/08/10.1.shtml>, by Andy Ihnatko, The Mac Observer. It wasn't a stupid question. It just wasn't a very /good/ question, particularly under the circumstances.
In Mild Defense Of Bob Keefe <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/08/in_mild_defense.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>, by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek. Cut Keefe some slack. Maybe he's not a Mac user, or maybe new to the Apple beat, or was filling in for someone who normally covers Apple for Cox.
The Columbo Technique <http://powazek.com/posts/644>, by Derek Powazek. To the Apple faithful, sure, it was dumb. But a PR event is not for the faithful (that's Macworld), it's for the rest of the world. And to the world at large, it's not a dumb question at all.

**** The Deliverymen's Uprising <http://nymag.com/news/features/35540/>
by Jennifer Gonnerman, New York Magazine
For $1.75 an hour, they put up with abusive employers, muggers, rain, snow, potholes, car accidents, six-day weeks, and lousy tips. Not anymore.

**** Kindergarten Angst <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/07/AR2007080701427.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Jill Hudson Neal, Washington Post
One step into school and the race begins. How does a Mom keep her cool?

**** A Segregated Road In An Already Divided Land <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/world/middleeast/11road.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin>
by Steve Erlanger, New York Times
Israel is constructing a road through the West Bank, east of Jerusalem, that will allow both Israelis and Palestinians to travel along it &mdash; separately.

**** The Potent Art Of Worrying <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/b6003270-46d7-11dc-a3be-0000779fd2ac.html>
by Susie Boyt, Financial Times
I first met Wnedy Perriam six years ago at a literary festival in Devon.

**** Foreigners Flocking To Singapore For State-Of-The-Art Medical Care <http://www.thestar.com/News/article/245316>
by Prithi Yelaja, Toronto Star
The latest, possibly most state-of-the-art player in the medical tourism sweepstakes, Singapore hopes to lure Western patients frustrated with long waits or high costs, or both. But unlike India and Thailand, where medical tourism is the purview of private institutions, Singapore's public hospitals are grabbing a piece of the market.

**** Government To Spend More On Education, Looking At Setting Up 4Th University: SM Goh <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_147577.html>
by Straits Times
Currently, about one in four in each cohort receives a university education. "We will up the percentage," Mr Goh promised.

**** Singapore To Let Malaysia Set Pace Fo Econ Cooperation: PM Lee <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_147561.html>
by Straits Times
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said Singapore-Malaysia cooperation, which he described as good, will proceed at the pace that Malaysia is comfortable with.
"Otherwise, if we push too hard there might be some misinterpretation," Mr lee added.

**** Business Pitch Pays Off As SIngapore's Economy Swells <http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/business-pitch-pays-off-as-singapores-economy-swells/2007/08/10/1186530616327.html>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg
Singapore's economy grew at the fastest pace in two yars in the second quarter as an influx of bankers helped fuel the construction of offices and apartments.

**** Singapore In TV Tug O' War <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117970044.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562>
by Patrick Frater, Variety
Singapore has an almost unique pay TV battle brewing &mdash; a face-off between digital cable and internet protocol TV, by implication also digital.

**** Asia: Wall Street's Money Crisis Hits Again <http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/aug2007/gb20070810_205181.htm?campaign_id=rss_as>
by Ian Rowley, BusinessWeek
High anxiety sweeps through Asian stock markets once more, and central banks in Japan, Australia, and Singapore turn on the cash spigot.

**** Do I Really Love This Country? <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-i-really-love-this-country.html>
by Singapore Election Watch

**** National Day? Not In Our Name! <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/08/national-day-not-in-our-name.html>
by Singapore Election Watch
It's supposed to be our national day. But I don't feel like it is mine.