[MyAppleMenu] Aug 7, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 7 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** MacBook Pro: Are Macs "The Dark Side"? <http://blog.pcmag.com/blogs/miller/archive/2007/08/06/2054.aspx>
by Michael J. Miller, PC Magazine
I've always thought the "Perfect PC" was the one that worked best for you, at your price range. For those who can afford it, the Mac may well be the right choice, especially now that we are moving into a world where many of the great new applications all run in a browser.

**** FileMaker Pro 9: Hitching A Ride On The SQL Bus <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/filemakerpro9/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by William Porter, Macworld

**** My Fantasy Tuesday Announcement
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
As an existing Mac customer, things I would like to see in the Tuesday announcement:
1. Safari Explained: Why the heck did Apple port the browser onto Windows? Apple should be committed to changing the world, not to just gain a few marketshare points. Does this have anything to do with the new (rumored) super-duper .Mac service?
2. Leopard Revealed: Come on, Apple. 3D docks and translucent menu bars just don't cut it. You said you were hiding juicy (and lickable) Leopard stuff from Redmond. Isn't it time for you to tempt us, so that we can start saving for the October purchase?
3. iPod Transformed: Yes, you said that this is a Mac event. No iPods and no iPhones. But, what if, you call that brand new iPhone-but-no-phone device &mdash; not an iPod, not an iPhone, but &mdash; MacBook Nano? It can QuickTime, it can Safari, and it can definitely do mail. And, together with a iPhone-but-no-phone SDK, it can do anything under the sun. It runs OS X &mdash; that gotta be a Mac, right?
Okay, I'd admit. The last one is /really/ deeply rooted in the fantasy realm.

**** Fake Steve, Unmasked <http://daringfireball.net/2007/08/fake_steve_unmasked>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
It's the performance that counts, not the secret.

**** Project Calculator 2.1 Released <http://www.macminute.com/2007/08/06/project-calculator/>
by MacMinute

**** Further Progress Made On US, European iPhone Unlocking <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/06/further-progess-made-on-us-european-iphone-unlocking>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica
However, the iPhone still hasn't been fully unlocked.

**** Apple's .Mac Service Unavailable During Tuesday's Event <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9755477-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Apple is expected to unveil new iMacs during an event Tuesday, but it could also have some improvements to its .Mac service up its sleeve.

**** Running Windows On Macs Becomes A Race With VMware Fusion Out Of The Gates <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/06/VMware-offers-Fusion-for-running-Windows-on-Macs_1.html>
by Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service

**** For Apple, What A Difference A Decade Makes <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/06/decade/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld
In contrast to Microsoft's atitude of benign neglect of the Mac platform, Apple seems to be innovating away on the Windows platform.

**** Open Source Upheaval <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/06/32FEosimpact_1.html>
by Neil McAllister, InfoWorld
Support-based business models and collaborative software communities have changed the software industry forever. Is it make or break time for conventional vendors?

**** IT Staffs Challenged By Tech-Savvy Employees, "Consumerization" Of IT <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070806-it-staffs-challenged-by-tech-savvy-employees-consumerization-of-it.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

**** It's A Female Dog, Or Worse. Or Endearing. And Illegal? <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/nyregion/07bword.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin>
by Michael M. Grynbaum, New York Times
Conversations over the last week indicate that the "b-word" (as it is referred to in the legislation) enjoys a surprisingly strong currency &mdash; and even some defenders &mdash; among many New Yorkers.

**** Eating Made Simple <http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=3CDDB14C-E7F2-99DF-39AC2C4049B2F6C0&ref=rss>
by Marion Nestle, Scientific American
How do you cope with a mountain of conflicting diet advice?

**** Reinvent Your Life <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/02/AR2007080202070.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Dan Zak, Washington Post
Is your day-to-day disappointingly dull? Aim for something completely different.

**** Japanese Find Romance And Rituals Far From Home <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/world/europe/07paris.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Doreen Carvajal, New York Times
Most of the brides and grooms are more familiar with Shinto practices than Christian rites. But they are flocking to Paris and other romantic European locations in search of rituals, stained glass and bellowing pipe organs, all chosen from convenient online catalogs.

**** A Village Life <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/08/13/070813po_poem_gluck>
by Louise Gluck, New Yorker

**** Magda Mandela <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/08/13/070813fi_fiction_kunzru>
by Hari Kunzru, New Yorker

**** Aesop In The City <http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2007/08/13/070813sh_shouts_brenner>
by Yoni Brenner, New Yorker

**** In Rome, A New Ritual On An Old Bridge <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/world/europe/06rome.html?ex=1344052800&en=8b2ae840e6667cea&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Ian Fisher, New York Times
The story of how Ponte Milvio, north of Rome's center, became the city&rsquo;s symbol of love follows a particularly Italian script blending history, myth, truly ludicrous political posturing and the unexpected.

**** In Search Of Lost Time <http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2141008,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=10>
by Jenny Turner, The Guardian

>From chemistry sets to homemade face scrubs &mdash; following the success of The Dangerous Book for Boys comes The Great Big Glorious Book for Girls, with anthologies from children's classics Look and Learn and Ladybird on the way. What does the popularity of nostalgia lit tell us about ourselves today?

**** Learning To Tie The Policy Hands <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/08/learning_to_tie_the_policy_han.html>
by Singapore Angle
Unpredictable policy changes, even those made with the best of intentions, must count as a risk factor to citizens, investors and businesses.

**** Authoritarianism In Singapore <http://www.infernalramblings.com/articles/Public_Policy/590/>
by Infernal Ramblings
At one point or another, Singapore must turn to democracy to maintain its good government.

**** James Seng <http://redcouch.typepad.com/weblog/2007/08/james-seng.html>
by Shel Israel, Global Neighbourhoods
"Both socially and politically, Singapore is slowly becoming more open and liberal because of the internet."

**** Is There A Nation In That City Of Possibilities? <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/161694.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Student Made To Pay Adult Fare <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/204337.asp>
by Ang Su Sze Carolyn, Today
It is preposterous to suspect that I would put on a school uniform just to avoid paying a few extra cents.

**** News Channel Al Jazeera Confident Of Getting Licence <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_146144.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times

**** Please Reduce The Commentary In NDP Broadcast <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_146043.html>
by Janet Tan Bee Gek, Straits Times
This way, viewers will be able to better enjoy the show and the music. Less is more.

**** Why I Speak Up <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/08/why-i-speak-up.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
Those who disagree with Section 377A should speak up. They owe it to themselves, as self-respecting, thinking citizens, to make their views known. This is espcially so if their view, like mine, is that Section 377A is fundamentally wrong and unfair, in decriminializing private consensual acts between adults that does not objectively harm anyone else.

**** None People, No Nation, Not Singapore <http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2007/08/none-people-no-nation-not-singapore.html>
by A Xeno Boy In Sg