[MyAppleMenu] Aug 6, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 6 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Researcher Calls Apple "Negligent" Over iPhone Security <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/06/researcher-calls-apple-negligent-over-iphone-security>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

**** VMware Fusion <http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/vmware.html>
by Robert Mohns, MacInTouch
VMware Fusion worked very well for use with Windows XP and Windows Vista, and fairly well with Ubuntu 7. We had a few issues, and there are some missing features we'd like to see added, but we're quite impressed with Fusion.

**** Journey To The Core Of Apple <http://stuff.tv/blogs/future/archive/2007/08/06/journey-to-the-core-of-apple.aspx>
by Tom dunmore, Stuff.tv
I'm more confident about the future of the Mac platform these days...

**** Will Fake Steve Jobs Take Over The Stage?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
It's not without precendent: Noah Wyle, the first and original Fake Steve Jobs, opened the Macworld Expo back in year 2000. (Noah Wyle, if you cannot remember, played Steve Jobs in the "Pirates of Silicon Valley" movie.)
Will we get to meet another Fake Steve Jobs this coming January? :-)

**** Fake Steve Jobs Comes To Forbes.com <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/08/05/fsj-blog-apple-biz-media-cx_pm_0805fsj.html>
by Forbes
"From Jonathan Switft to Jon Stewart, satire has spoken truth to power as well as amued," said Forbes.com Editor Paul Maidment. "Fake Steve Jobs will add a different voice to Forbes.com, but one that is in the Forbes tradition for both."

**** The Trial Of Fake Steve Jobs <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/the-trial-of-fake-steve-jobs/>
by Brad Stone, New York Times Blog
Are you happy that the mystery has been solved? Or did we just ruin the fun for everyone?

**** Fake Steve On Fortune, BusinessWeek, And Forbes <http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/august#sun-05-fsj_biz_mags>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** Tech World Falls For Tom's Foolery <http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/toms-foolery-bruises-apple/2007/08/06/1186252586790.html?s_cid=rss_news>
by Edmund Tadros, The Age
A 16-year-old Austrlian who duped high-profile technology blog Gizmodo.com with a fake Apple rumour said the site should "triple-check its sources."

**** A Mystery Solved: 'Fake Steve' Blogger Comes Clean <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/technology/06steve.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin>
by Brad Stone, New York Times
"Im stunned that it's taken this long," said Mr Daniel Lyons, a senior editor at Forbes magazine who lives near Boston, when a reporter interrupted his vacation in Maine on Sunday to ask him about Fake Steve. "I have not been that good at keeping it a secret. I've been sort of waiting for this call for months."
Mr Lyons writes and edits technology articles for Forbes and is the author of two works of fiction, most recently a 1998 novel, "Dog Days." In October, Da Capo Press will publish his satirical novel written in the voice of the Fake Steve character, "Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs, a Parody."
See Also:
Damn, I Am So Busted, Yo <http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2007/08/damn-i-am-so-busted-yo.html>, by The Secret Diary Of Steve Jobs.

**** Slap In The Facebook: It's Time For Social Networks To Open Up <http://www.wired.com/software/webservices/news/2007/08/open_social_net>
by Scott Gilbertson, Wired

**** Survey Says: Only DRM-Free Music Is Worth Paying For <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070805-survey-says-only-drm-free-music-is-worth-paying-for.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica
One of the largest surveys of music consumers to closely examine the question of Digital Rights Management (DRM) has an important two-part message for the music industry. The first is that DRM is definitely turning consumers off music sales, and charging them extra to get rid of it may be an uphill battle. The second message is that knowledge of DRM and its problems is spreading fast.

**** Is The Demand For Desktop Linux Negligible? <http://www.zdnetasia.com/smb/news/0,39043754,62030344,00.htm>
by Luke Anderson, ZDNet Australia

**** The Dream Of Time Travel <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6933059.stm>
by Neil Bowdler, BBC News

>From HG Wells to the latest Big Brother challenge, time travel has sparked the popular imagination. Now, an American scientist has broken his silence about his dream of time travel, with a book documenting his life-long struggle to build a time machine.

**** Publishing Never Had A Golden Age <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/08/publishing_never_had_a_golden.html>
by Louise Tucker, The Guardian
So, today's book industry is focused on profit margins and it's tough for authors to get themselves in print. What's new?

**** Sink Or Swim <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/01/AR2007080101717.html>
by Jeannie Marie Laskas, Washington Post
Courage can get you into deep water.

**** Unemployed 17 Months And Counting <http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2007/08/05/unemployed_17_months_and_counting/>
by John McCarthy, as told to Mark Pothier, Boston Globe
I've questioned my resume. I've debated leaving the state. I've doubted my self-worth.

**** Oldest Profession Flourishes In China <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/04/AR2007080401309.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Maureen Fan, Washington Post
No longer limited to well-known bars or a growing number of karaoke parlors, prostitutes are everywhere in Chinat today, branching out onto college campuses, moving into private residential compounds and approaching customers on mobile phone networks.

**** Singapore's Leadership Not Inferior To Old Guards <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_146036.html>
by Imelda Saad, Straits Times
Singapore's minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew does not think that the present leadershiop team is inferior compared to the old guards.
"Intelligence, adminstrative capabilities and political sensibilities" have improved over the years. What's missing, Mr Lee noted, is the 'combat experience' of Singapore's first generation leaders who have gone through the tumultuous independent years.

**** Q2 GDP Growth For Singapore May Come In Weaker Than 8.2%, Say Economists <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/292540/1/.html>
by Tung Shing Yi, Channel NewsAsia

**** AirAsia's Requested Kul-Sin Flights Need Greenlight Of Both Govts <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=277795>
by Bernama
A decision to grant budget carrier AirAsia's request to operate on the lucrative Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route depends on approvals from both the Malaysian and Singaporean governments, transport minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said today.

**** New Rules To Hound Irresponsible Dog Owners <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292516/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Agri-Fod &amp; Veterianry Authority (AVA) in revising the ANimals and Birds (Dog Licensing and Control) Rules will make it compulsory for each dog that is licensed from next month, to receive an ISO compliant microchip. This is to manage the dog population as it will discourage pet abandonment.

**** Multi-Pronged Approach Needed To Ensure Security: Teo Chee Hean <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292500/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
See Also:
Speech By Mr Teo Chee Hean, Minister For Defence, At 9th Asia-Pacific Programme For Senior Military Officers, 6 August 2007 <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20070806990.htm>, by Singapore Government.

**** I Just Live Here <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=360>
by Insane Polygons
Nothing is scared anymore &mdash; not memories, monuments, people or the social contract between the leaders and the people. Only money matters. What money we can pay them and what money we can bring in. Hard to feel any sense of belonging or rootedness anymore.

**** Ashamed To Be An ASEAN <http://burmadigest.info/2007/08/05/ashamed-to-be-an-asean/>
by Kanbawza Win, Burma Digest
Human rights issues appear to be a low priority in this part of the world. Democracy is just part of the lip service.

**** Lee Kuan Yew Teaches Us A Lesson <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070806.F04&irec=3>
by Zaenal A Budiyono, Jakarta Post
We may disagree with Lee's opinions. But, like it or not, they are the opinions of the leader ouf our neighboring country, whose track record in transforming Singapore from a third world nation to first world one is undeniable.

**** Attracting Foreign Univerisites - Do We Have The Right Balance? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/08/06/attracting-foreign-universities-do-we-have-the-right-balance/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** NDP Online Viewing Only For Windows Users? <http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/60606.html>
by Harish Pillay
Spending tax payers money on proprietary products that in turn forces the citizens to have to acquire even more proprietary products to participate is not smart and downright offensive.

**** Singaporeans Back Licence For Jazeera, Hail New Perspective <http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=165197&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16>
by Daniel Ong, Gulf Times
People in Singapore have welcomed the move by Al Jazeera English to secure broadcast rights in the city-state and said the Qatar-based news channel should be given the license.

**** Rental Hikes Force 20% Rise In Expats' Allowance <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_145934.html>
by Josephine Tay, Straits Times

**** Have Minimum Wage That Matches Inflation <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_145812.html>
by Ong Hwee Peng, Straits Times
It is unconscionable for us as a government and people to have low-salary workers subsist on such meagre salaries.
/It's immoral for our society to have people who cannot earn a honest living through an honest day of work./
/What's the point of spending big bucks on getting a "first-class" government, when the government cannot &mdash; or refuses to &mdash; even protect the minorities in our society?/

**** Is The Federal Government Funding Singapore Via Optus? <http://www.smartofficenews.com.au/Communication/X9H5V4T3>
by David Richards, Computer Daily News
Now the fight is set to get dirty as Telstra resort to the courts to take on the government and Optus, a company that is owned by SingTel, a Singapore government-run organisation.