[MyAppleMenu] Aug 4, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 4 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Worries About The iPod's 'Maturity' Miss The Point Of Its Value To Apple <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118619202994988054.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Herb Greenberg, Wall Street Journal
More important, said Charles Wolf, in terms of the overall strategy, even a mature iPod "is incredibly important," because it is converting non-Macintosh computer users into Mac buyers and is driving revenue from other sources, such as iTUnes. And that, he says, "is where the juice in the story is. Not the iPod." And not even the iPhone.

**** Homage To A Great Machine <http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/08/homage_to_a_great_machine.html>
by Micah Walter, O'Reilly Digital Media

**** iPhone Security Slammed At Black Hat <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/03/iphone.security.slammed/>
by MacNN

**** First Native Non-Apple iPhone App Released <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/03/native.iphone.app.released/>
by MacNN
The application, called MobileTerminal, is terminal emulation software developed without an official software development kit (SDK) from Apple.

**** Report: Mobile Phone Industry Already Changing Due To iPhone <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/03/report-mobile-phone-industry-already-changing-due-to-iphone>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica
Coming just a month after the launch, the "iPhone effect" could mean that other manufacturers and carriers hav emore to worry about than they previously thought.

**** The iPhone Explored: The Internet On Your Phone <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/features/iphone_inet/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Take a closer look at the phone's web browsing, e-mail, chat, and map features.

**** Apple Moves Slowly, Surely Into Big Business <http://www.macobserver.com/columns/justathought/2007/08/03.1.shtml>
by Vern Seward, Mac Observer
A compartively low cost of ownership and a bona-fide UNIX OS is what Apple can present to big business. Will they bite? Few things in the IT world change over night and it will take some doing to get CIOs to change their views, but views are changing.

**** Warning Of Webmail Wi-Fi Hijack <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6929258.stm>
by BBC News
Using public wi-fi hotspots has got much riskier as security experts unveil tools that nab login data over the air.

**** E-Book Site For Students Promises To Save Trees, Money <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9754888-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Sabena Suri, CNET News.com

**** Off The Record <http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=9735>
by Robert Sandall, Prospect Magazine
In recent years, the economics of pop music have been upended. The market for CDs has collapsed, and not even the rise of legal downloading can offset the damages to record companies. Meanwhile, demand for live performances has rocketed.

**** Getting Iraq Wrong <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/magazine/05iraq-t.html?ei=5088&en=13354304accc6e06&ex=1343966400&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1186226055-dOg3mwtusTgh1YTmvtDDRg>
by Michael Ignatieff, New York Times
The unfolding catastrophe in Iraq has condemned the political judgment of a president. But it has also condemned the judgment of many others, myself included, who as commentators supported the invasion.

**** Of Winners And Losers <http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2007/08/of-winners-and-losers.html>
by The Kway Teow Man

**** Singapore Is A Good Example Of What We Can't Allow Here <http://tinyqueerfootballs.com/2007/08/03/singapore-is-a-good-example-of-what-we-cant-allow-here/>
by Tiny Queer Footballs
Singapore shows us the dangers of letting these anti-gay people take control of the issues and take control of governmental policy.

**** Khaw's Medieval Approach To Solving The AIDS Problem <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=359>
by Insane Polygons
Knowing you are HIV positive is not going to save or prolong your life, more ofthen than not, in Singapore; it has become a death sentence financially, socially and emotionally.

**** Ex-NKF Chairman Richard Yong Faces 10 Criminal Charges <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292223/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Plans To Quarry For Granite On Pulau Ubin Being Deferred: BCA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292217/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The government has deferred plans to begin quarrying for granite on Pulau Ubin following a significant improvement in the granite supply situation in the last two months.

**** Singapore Bans Gay Story Reading During Pride Event <http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070803/lf_afp/lifestylesingaporegay_070803133759>
by AFP
Singapore authorities have banned a story reading during the city-state's gay pride festival, saying the text showed direspect to public officials.

**** Singapore Court Rejects FEER Bid To End Libel Suit <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070803/3/35tvn.html>
by Reuters
Singapore Court of Appeal has rejected a final bid by the Far Eastern Economic Review to dismiss a libel suit brought against the magazine by two of the city-state's top leaders, state radio 93.8 Live said on Friday.
See Also:
Banned Magazine Has One Week To File Defence In Singapore Lawsuit <http://nz.entertainment.yahoo.com/070803/8/13yt.html>, by AFP.

**** Temasek Not On The Line: Study <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/203960.asp>
by Noor Mohd Aziz, Today
New findings by a senior economist and a former member of the Jakarta commission investigating charges of unfair business practices against Temasek Holdings have verified that the firm's shareholdings in Indonesian mobile-telecom companies do not violate anti-monopoly laws.

**** Camera In Hand, Change In Mind <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/203959.asp>
by Derrick A Paulo, Today

**** Letter To The People Of Singapore <http://www.yawningbread.org/guest_2007/guw-140.htm>
by John Toh (A Pseudonym), Yawning Bread
I am a homosexual Singaporean who has been in a loving and committed same-sex relationshiop for almost ten years. My partner and I currently live overseas because we sought for ourselves a better life in a progressive society more accepting of us.

**** Bark And Crumble <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-770.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
PELU had approved my permit by middle July, on which basis, I paid the $20 fee and proceeded to finalise arrangements for Sanders' talk. On his part, he bought his airline ticket. Did we enjoy legl certainty?
Before we point fingers at others, take a hard look at own banana republic.
See Also:
Police Reject Application To Hold Public Forum On Homosexuality <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292121/1/.html>, by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia.

**** Why Water Conservation Tax Is Not Like COE <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_145432.html>
by Harvey Koenig, Ministry of Finance, Straits Times
It is possible to sell a car without paying any of these registration or ownership charges, provided the car is not registered for use on public roads. Hence, GST is not imposed on them.
See Also:
Is Water Conservation Tax Fair? Ask Iras <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_143223.html>, by Karma Tsultrim Wangchuk, Straits Times.

**** Scholars And The Cage Theory <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/203908.asp>
by Charles Tan, Today
Set them free and they will wing their way back.