[MyAppleMenu] Aug 3, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 3 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** My 25 Year Love Affair With Computers <http://www.micropersuasion.com/2007/08/my-25-year-love.html>
by Steve Rubel, Micro Persuation
This week I took my first overnight business trip in 10 years without a laptop. All I took was my iPhone and a travel router. It worked perfectly.

**** 64-Bit PCs Still Searching For Software <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39288396,00.htm>
by Tom Krazit and Ina Fried, CNET News.com
Now that they're 64 (bits, that is), personal computers are still searching for developers to need them and feed them.

**** The Seven Ages Of Steve Jobs <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gallery/2007/aug/03/stevejobs?picture=330299368>
by Guardian

**** Does The iPhone Need A Screen Saver? <http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/aug2007/gb2007082_419315.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech>
by Jack Ewing, BusinessWeek
Balda, reportedly the touch-screen supplier for the uberpopular cell phone, says sales were down due to last-minute changes &mdash; maybe Apple's.

**** Brilliant Journalists Prove That If You Leave Your iPod Lying Around, It'll Get Stolen <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/brilliant_journ.html>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek
I'm sure there's a Pulitzer Prize in this for Dateline. Because we could never have figured that out on our own.

**** Unprofessional In Black <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2007/08/02/Black-Beauty>
by Tim Bray, ongoing
I'm talking about my computer, which is a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro, and a lovely flat black colour. It's by a long shot the best Mac I've ever had.

**** Apple Playing 'Chord' Patterns With Future Devices? <http://news.com.com/8301-13579_3-9753835-37.html>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Apple could have a lot more in mind for the multitouch user interface found on the iPhone.

**** Reassessing Office's Space <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/08/office/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
For every day that Office 2008 doesn't come out that's another day for users to get acustomed to not having it &mdash; and to wonder whether they even need Office in the first place.

**** Apple Releases iTunes 7.3.2 <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-releases-itunes-732/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** Octaga Player Launched For Mac OS X <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/02/octaga.player.for.mac/>
by MacNN
Octaga today launched its Octaga Player for Mac OS X, a new 3D player developed on behalf of the Seattle-based Ymetech and the NASA.

**** Noodlesoft Releases Hazel 2 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/08/02/noodlesoft-hazel-2/>
by MacMinute
Noodlesoft today announced the release of Hazel 2, a housekeeper for your folders and files.

**** Taiwan Suppliers Seeing No iPhone Slowdown? <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/02/no.iphone.supply.slowdown/>
by MacNN

**** LicenseKeeper 1.2 Major Update Released <http://www.macminute.com/2007/08/02/licensekeeper/>
by MacMinute

**** Black Hat: Security Researchers Exercise AJAX Attacks <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/01/black-hat-ajax_1.html>
by Matt Hines, InfoWorld
Experts say attacks are made easy by a lack of expertise among developers working with the AJAX language.

**** Playing Their Own Way <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19137/?a=f>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
People who love to create their own blogs, podcasts, and movies have a new outlet for self-expression: home-made video games.

**** And Now, Folks, Behold The 15-Minute Publisher <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/nyregion/02books.html?ex=1343707200&en=60c447f3e8e1c7cf&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Anthony Ramirez, New York Times
Few things are as fast as something called the Espresso Book Machine, the product of a high-tech publishing venture that has nothing to do with caffeine.

**** Beating Joel Stein <http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-stein3aug03,0,4663424.story?track=rss>
by Joel Stein, Los Angeles Times
The main difference between me and the average blogger is that I get paid. How long I can continue to earn a living off of something people do just as well for free is a question I occasinally ask myself, and one I frequently am asked by people who send me hate mail.

**** Archaeological Digging In The Digital Age <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/01/AR2007080102407.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Michael Laris, Washington Post
Inspiration to find a new way to view the county came from years of frustration with the marred paper copies of aerial photo sthat provided a disjointed and grease-pencil-stained picture of Fairfax's history.

**** Your Cheatin' Listenin' Ways <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/fashion/02cheat.html?ex=1343707200&en=f37a77a8fe11aeca&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Andrew Adam Newman, New York Times
Is it acceptable, they debate within and among themselves, to listen to that month's book rather than read it? Or is that cheating, like watching the movie instead of readng the book?

**** Police Reject Application To Hold Public Forum On Homosexuality <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292121/1/.html>
by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia
The police have cancelled a licence under the Public Entertainments and Meetings Act for a public forum on the issue of homosexuality, which had been planned for next Tuesday.
The event was to be called "Sexual Orientation In International Law: The Case Of Asia" and it was to be held at Mohamed Sultan Road.
See Also:
Singapore Ban Gay Rights Forum <http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-08-03-singapore-gays_N.htm?csp=34>, by Associated Press.

**** The Problem With A Meek Press <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/the-problem-with-a-meek-press.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
A meek press has zero credibility.

**** EDB May Have To Write Off $17.3M Given To UNSW <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_145217.html>
by Straits Times
The Economic Development Board (EDB) may have to write off the $17.3 million it awarded in grants to the University of New South Wales (UNSW) Asia, as the university may declare itself insolvent.
In a statement on Friday, the parent university in Sydney said UNSW Asia, the company behind the now-defunt Singapore campus, was faced with 'significant claims' from creditors.
See Also:
Who Is Responsible For This Bad Debt Write Off? <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/08/cannot-collect-s173m-from-unsw-asia-who.html>, by Urbanrant. We just lined up foreign institutions and hand them the hard-earned money of Singaporeans. And yes, we probably said thank you to them as well.

**** MOH May Introduce Opt-Out HIV Testing For Male Adults <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292087/1/.html>
by Foo Siew Shyan, Channel NewsAsia
Health minister Khaw Boon Wan has said his ministry is considering having opt-out HIV screening tests for male adults at hospitals.

**** HDB To Make It Easier For Couples To Buy Flats Near Parents <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_145123.html>
by Straits Times

**** Special, Express Courses For Higher Mother Tongue Subjects To Be Merged <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/292058/1/.html>
by Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia
Special and Express courses for Higher Mother Tongue subjects in secondary schools will be merged into one from next year.
The Ministry of Education says the change reflects the growing similarities between the two courses over the years.

**** The Criticality Of Singaporeans <http://brennan.sg/2007/08/03/the-crticality-of-singaporeans/>
by Digital Terrorist
Just complain, bear no responsibility, and continue on the never-ending race of the fittest.

**** Controversy And Art Go Hand-In-Hand: Lee Boon Yang <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/291925/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Dr Lee Boon Yang said: "I can't imagine an arts event of the scale of the Singapore Art Show going off without any controversy. In fact, I'll be very, very surprised."

**** Taxis, Taxis Everywhere... But Not A Single One Is Stopping <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/203674.asp>
by Tabitha Wang, Today
Taxi drivers are Singapore's biggest whiners. So, it's time we stopped pampering them by rewarding bad attitudes.

**** Downtown Line: Work On 1St Stage To Start This Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_145013.html>
by T. Rajan, Straits Times

**** Jobless Rate At 6-Year Low: Singapore Aims To Do Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_144995.html>
by Zakir Hussain, Straits Times
Labour chief sets out way to achieve one of the highest employment rates in the world.

**** Credit Card For Students: Steps Taken To Promote Responsible Use, Says Citibank <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_144838.html>
by Adam Abdur Rahman, Citibank Singapore Limited, Straits Times

**** Solve Problem Of Bus Bunching For Good <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_145014.html>
by Richard Seah Siew Sai, Straits Times

**** Singapore Show Its Financial Muscle <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/08/02/bcnsing102.xml>
by Mark Kleinman, Telegraph
The Singapore government investor in Barclays and Standard Chartered underlined its growing financial firepower as it revealed its asset portfolio is now worth in excess of $100bn.

**** Singapore Gays Allowed A Step Forward, But Pushed Two Back <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/02/news/singapore.php>
by Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, Internationa Herald Tribune
In a city-state that reservs the right to control public expression and private sexual behavior, these have been interesting weeks for the emerging gay rights movement.

**** Qantas Takes On Tiger By Flying Jetstar To Singapore <http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/qantas-takes-on-tiger-by-flying-jetstar-to-singapore/2007/08/02/1185648060037.html>
by Danny John, Sydney Morning Herald