[MyAppleMenu] Sep 25, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 25 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Virgin Atlantic Revises Complete Dell, Apple Laptop Ban
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/24/virgin-atlantic-revises-complete-dell-apple-laptop-ban/>
Cyrus Farivar, Engadget

[Opinion]

*** Why Inconsistency Is Consistent
<http://dustin.waterfallsw.com/2006/09/why-inconsistency-is-consistent.html>
Dustin MacDonald

I am not sure this goes for anyone else, but I would probably get bored if every app looked the same and had no innovative graphical decisions.

*** iPod Makes Bothersome Technology So Portable
<http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Style/167652/>
Jennifer Christman, NWAnews.com

*** Ah Macs...
<http://towniebastard.blogspot.com/2006/09/ah-macs.html>
Townie Bastard

Allow me to once again boast of the virtues of Mac. It just makes your life easier, kids.

*** On Trademarks And Podcasting
<http://eyeonwiner.org/archives/2006/on-trademarks-and-podcasting>
Eye On Winer

Apple has a decent (thought not air-tight) argument that the term 'podcast' infringes on the iPod mark.

*** Say No To Apple (Or: Talk To Apple In The Only Language They Understand: Money And Bad Press)
<http://crueltobekind.org/archive/2006-09-23/say_no_to_apple_or_talk_to_app>
Cruel To Be Kind

*** Podcasting Dead, Long Live Zunecasting!
<http://www.sparkplug9.com/bizhack/index.php/2006/09/23/podcasting-dead-long-live-zunecasting-2/>
Sparkplug 9

*** Please Don't Sue Me: Pod
<http://theappleblog.com/2006/09/24/please-dont-sue-me-pod/>
Todd Baur, The Apple Blog

Apple, and the lawyers on staff, please stop the nonsense.

[Review]

*** iPod Getting Away From The Basics
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0609250149sep25,1,3864028.story?coll=chi-business-hed>
Eric Benderoff, Chicago Tribune

[Sidetrack]

*** Boom!
Heng-Cheong Leong

You've watched the Steve-note bloopers reel. Now, get ready to hear Steve say "Boom <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8L39UwOS-Y>!" Yes, that's right. You've heard me. Steve does like to say the word 'Boom.' (Via Digg <http://digg.com/apple/Steven_Jobs_saying_boom_many_times>)

*** Internet's Future In 2020 Debated
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5370688.stm>
BBC News

The internet will be a thriving, low-cost network of billions of devices by 2020, says a major survey of leading technology thinkers.

[Linux]

*** GPLv3 Could Kill Open Source, Top Linux Dev's Warn
<http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5561540450.html>
Linux-Watch

*** Phony Identification
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/09/24/phony_identification/>
Tom Keane, Boston Globe

Caller ID is dying.

*** Sex On The Brain
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/09/24/sex_on_the_brain/>
Mark Liberman, Boston Globe

It's easy to see how funky numbers about an exotic language can turn into an urban legend. But it might surprise you to find apparently authoritative sources doing the same thing with basic facts about your own language use.

*** Give Me Five More Minutes
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/09/25/op_homecoming/index_np.html?source=rss>
Christy Miller, Salon

I had always imagined with horrow what it would be like to get the news that my son was killed in Iraq. Then it happened.

[Ramblings]

*** Lift Upgrading: Where We Steal Money From Everybody To Build Something I Like
Heng-Cheong Leong

There is one aspect of the Lift Upgrading (and the estate upgrading) plan that really bothers me, and that is you don't need 100% agreement in order to go ahead with the upgrading plans.

And even though these upgrading are subsidized (with people's money, of couse), the upgrading is still not cheap.

In order to counter pro-upgrading proposals like Fok Kah Hon <http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:f48b6a35111ed010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD> writing in Straits Times, urging a change of policy by not counting votes by people who don't vote, I propose thus:

That the cost of upgrading, after deducing the subsidies, should be borne entirely by people who voted yes. Those who voted no should not need to pay, althought they will still be in terrible living quarters for quite a few months or even years.

We should not simply have the rich folks imposing additional burdens to the poorer folks, in the name of a better living environment. Just because one has some additional monies sitting around in the CPF accounts doing nothing shouldn't entitle anyone to force other people to pay money for "common good" that the poor can do without.

Sometimes, when you are poor, all these "essentials" are simply just luxuries.

[News]

*** Thai Adventure Backfires On Singapore Inc
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/09/24/1159036414899.html>
Eric Ellis, The Age

It was, at best, a spectacular misjudgement. Far from being the great buy Temasek claimed, the deal ignited six months of politicl turmoil, culminating in the coup. Thais stopped using the businesses Temasek had bought, including an airline, a finance company and telco AIS Thailand, also part-owned by Singapore Telecommunications. Now the Shin buyers wear a US$2 billion paper loss on the deal after less than six months.

*** SIA And Pilots Quarrel Over Pay Once More
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:ea3a6a35111ed010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times

*** Sunday Times Retracts Comments On IJ Girls
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/144623.asp>
Today

The Sunday Times has apologised for the distress caused by an article it published that sparked off angry reactions from local convent schools, their students and parents.

[Opinion]

*** What We've Yet To See, Hear Or Speak Of
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-656.htm>
Yawningbread.org

Nowhere does our government give space for the consideration of human rights, be they freedom of expression, the right to privacy, or equality and non-discrimination.

*** The Power And Politics Behind Kularb Kaew
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/25/opinion/opinion_30014555.php>
Uan Na Thap Thiang, The Nation

Money and politics rarely come together in transparent fashion. It is always in the interest of transparency's enemies to decry as conspiracy-theorising any attempts to get to the bottom of events. The Shin-Temasek deal appears to involve a group of serious pros in the regional money-and-power game: Daim Zainuddin, Singapore Inc's dominant Lee family and Thaksin and Pojaman Shinawatra.

*** Optimum Degree Of Unhappiness
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/126951.html>
mollymeek

In the latest twist to Singapore's politics, it has become perfectly normal to be unhappy. Just don't be too unhappy.

*** Thinking Journalists And Editors? ... Not
<http://samaryn.com/2006/09/24/thinking-journalists-and-editors-not/>
A Gecko's Tale

As proven yet again, the Straits Times journalists and editors really need to get their act together. Your press is slowly but surely sinking to zero credibility with each faux pas you make.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]