[MyAppleMenu] Sep 24, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 24 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** The Invasion Of The iPod People
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0609220370sep24,1,1594482.story?coll=chi-techtopheds-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true>
Chuck Green, Chicago Tribune

The hills might be alive with the sound of music, but Scott Terpstra can hear his favorites simply by climbing into his car -- and without a bunch of compact discs in tow.

*** Wal-mart Says Not Trying To Fight Movie Downloads
<http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060922:MTFH49922_2006-09-22_23-34-23_N22181208&type=comktNews&rpc=44>
Gina Keating, Reuters

Wal-Mart disputed a report on Friday saying it was trying to dissuade movie studios from working with other forms of distribution, such as Apple's iTunes.

[Opinion]

*** Swimming With Sharks
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060914.html>
Robert X. Cringely, PBS

The success of Apple's movie download business right now depend mainly on not alienating Wal-Mart.

*** I Cried In The Apple Store Today
<http://niquimerret.com/?p=31>
Niqui Merret

Today I questioned why I am such a Mac advocate. In fact today I thought about becoming a waitress on an island far away from technology.

*** Apple Trademark office Docs Point To Real Reasons For "Podcast" Controversy
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1252>
Russell Shaw, ZDNet

I am not an attorney, but if I were on Apple's legal team fighting to make things right with the two important marks, iPod and iPodcast, I just might be tempted to use an overabundance of vigilance against anyone who is selling services and products that in name, are coming close to these sought-after protections.

*** A Cast By Any Other Name...
<http://www.twit.tv/2006/09/22/a_cast_by_any_other_name>
Leo Laporte, TWiT.TV

I think it's time for a change. Can't we come up with a better word than podcasting for what we do?

*** FairPlay: Coming To A Classroom Near You?
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/23/fairplay-coming-to-a-classroom-near-you/>
Jay Savage, Unofficial Apple Weblog

The #1 request from universities completely floored me: DRM. In fact, it is so in-demand that it has apparently been the deal-breaker for the majority of universities that had been approached about iTunes U and refused.

*** My Two Cents On "Podcast"
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/09/23.html#myTwoCentsOnQuotpodcastquot>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Apple sneers at the popple who gave them this innovation, and sends demand letters to members of the community.

*** Dumbing Up
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/books/review/Donadio.t.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&ref=books&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin>
Rachel Donadio, New York Times

Few thirsts run deeper these days than the one for self-improvement, and few recent books have slaked it better than the ubiquitous bumble-bee-colored titles in the "For Dummies" series.

[EOF]

*** 'Fawlty Towers' Reopens, Rejoicing In Its Notoriety
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300905.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Associated Press

*** DAP Agrees With Lee Kuan Yew, Slams BN Leaders
<http://promahathir.blogspot.com/2006/09/dap-agrees-with-lee-kuan-yew-slams-bn.html>
MalaysiaKini

*** PM To Young: Help Make Singapore Better
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:ef0d0a20aebdd010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** From Singapore With Mixed Bag
<http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/2006/sept/24/backpage.html>
Louis Odion, The Sun

The Big Man cuddles you with a hand, but a cane in the other.

*** PM To Young: Help Make Singapore Better
<http://windz1984.blogspot.com/2006/09/pm-to-young-help-make-spore-better.html>
Windz1984

Staying is one thing, but making a difference, daring to speak up and persist in your pursuit of what you think is right should be the main point.

*** Listening But Not Hearing
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/09/listening-but-not-hearing.html>
My Singapore News

How could Singaporeans compete with foreigners when the playing field in his own country, homeground, is levelled against him?

*** Better To Call A Spade A Spade
<http://www.malaysia-today.net/guest-columnists/2006/09/better-to-call-spade-spade.html>
Kim Quek, Malaysia Today

In the chorus of angry protests against Singapore Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's recent remark that Chinese Malaysians have been marginalised, can these angry protesters answer one simple question? If there has been no racial marginalisation, why has the word meritocracy been a taboo in malaysian politics ever since the racial riot of May 13, 1969 -- the only country in the world doing that?

*** Worrying Comments From A Wise 83 Years Old
<http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2006/09/perilous-comments-from-singaporean.html>
Urbanrant

In his twilight years, he has become the things that he used to fight against... oppression, freedom and the right to self-determination.

*** Singapore Has Every Right To Comment
<http://dq6633.blogspot.com/2006/09/singapore-has-every-right-to-comment.html>
Malaysia2Day

It would be foolish for our leaders to deny that what M.M Lee Kuan Yew said is not true. By the act of denial our leaders are merely prolonging and accentuating the disunity that is currently prevailing in our country.

*** Lee Kuan Yew Statement And A Young Man's Dream
<http://theshahril.blogspot.com/2006/09/lee-kuan-yew-statement-and-young-mans.html>
The Thoughts

I do believe Mr Lee's statement to be slightly inappropriate and undiplomatic. even that sentiment is arguable. What is not arguable however, is the validity of his claims.

*** Why The 100 Flowers Never Bloomed
<http://kitana.wordpress.com/2006/09/23/why-the-100-flowers-never-bloomed/>
Alterius Non Sit Qui Suus Esse Potest

Political change is one thing that will not occur in Singapore while the conservatives stay in power.

*** PAP's Increased Engagement Of Young Singaporeans: Sincere Desire Or Enlightened Self-Interest?
<http://searchingforenlightenment.blogspot.com/2006/09/post-no-86-paps-increased-engagement.html>
Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker