[MyAppleMenu] Sep 20, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 20 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Updates Mac Pro Firmware
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15909>
Macworld UK

*** Disney CEO Touts New iTunes Movie Downloads
<http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-09-19T191403Z_01_N19424671_RTRIDST_0_MEDIA-DISNEY.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna>
Gina Keating, Reuters

Walt Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger on Tuesday said the company sold 125,000 movie downloads worht $1 million in revenue through Apple's iTunes online music store in the frist week. Iger told a conference of analysts the company expects to take in $50 million in added revenue  during the first year of the iTunes movie download program.

*** Apple The Favorite Amongst European Post Production Pros
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2061>
Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

*** iTV: What You Need To Know
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/firstlooks/itvfaq/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes and Jason Snell, Macworld

We answer questions about Apple's upcoming movie-playing set-top box.

[Opinion]

*** Add Easy Listening To Guilty Pleasures Of Digital Downloads
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115870788096368214-_V4KUz15ijsakHOxLDVcbPynSwc_20070919.html?mod=rss_free>
Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal

Sure, the internet has revolutionized the spread of information and all that high-minded stuff, but its combination of reach and anonymity also makes it the greatest enabler of guilty pleasures ever invented. Indulgence is just a click away, and nobody needs to know, except you and some server somewhere.

*** Apple Should Release An iPod Game SDK
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/index.php?p=288>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

I wish that there was more of a selection.

[Review]

*** Galactica A.D.
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=697>
Franklin Pride, Inside Mac Games

Galactica is a very addictive and very enjoyable game.

*** Warning: iTunes Pricing Is Seriously Buggy
<http://www.macuser.com/itms/warning_itunes_pricing_is_seri.php?lsrc=murss>
Dan Moren, MacUser

It seems that the price of movies on iTunes can vary, depending on what listing you look at.

*** Why Won't The 5.5G iPod Play My 640x480 Videos?
<http://www.macuser.com/ipod/55g_ipod_wont_play_640_x_480_v.php?lsrc=murss>
Aaron Freedman, MacUser

*** SnapMail 5.0: No-Spam, No Frills Messaging System
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/reviews/snapmail5/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

SnapMail 5.0 offers secure, simple interoffice messaging and file transfer. If you're lookign for a no-frills internal messaging system, this fits the bill.

*** Coping With iTunes Confusion
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/09/itunesconfuse/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

[Sidetrack]

*** Do You Watch McLaughlin Group?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I've only watched this program a few times during the days when I was a student in U.S. back in the early 90s... My memory tells me it's basically a bunch of people sitting around talking and yelling at each other.

So, I was a little surprise to find the entry <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083448/combined> for The McLaughlin Group in IMDb has listed a Stunt Double.

Does anyone know why there is a need for stunt double on this talk show? I'm curious...

*** Is Your iTunes Too Loud?
Heng-Cheong Leong

No, I'm not talking the audio volume. I'M TALKING ABOUT THE "UGLY CAPITALISATION" IN THE LEFT SIDEBAR THAT MAKES I-TUNES SEEM LIKE SHOUTING.

Here's MacOSXhints.com <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060913032817384> how-to on removing the capitalisation.

*** How To Be Human
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17518&ch=infotech>
Duncan Graham-Rowe, MIT Technology Review

Call centers might be able to teach "chat bots" a thing or two about passing the Turing Test.

*** Gonzales: ISPs Must Keep Records On Users
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6117455.html?part=rss&tag=6117455&subj=news>
Declan McCullagh and Anne Broache, CNET News.com

Atorney General Alberto Gonzales on Tuesday stepped up his efforts to lobby for federal laws requiring internet providers to keep track of what their customers do online.

*** Yahoo Tests 'Right' To MP3 Downloads
<http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117950324?categoryid=1009&cs=1&nid=2570>
Ben Fritz, Variety

[Tech & Science]

*** Bush's Climate-Controlled White House
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/09/19/noaa/index_np.html?source=rss>
Paul D. Thacker, Salon

The administration claims it wasn't trying to tell government scientists what to say about climate change, but e-mails obtained by Salon prove otherwise.

[Life]

*** Tales Of The City: Dog On The Track
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/19/nyregion/19cnd-dog.html?ex=1316318400&en=d8ea8dedc34b09be&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Joe Sexton, New York Times

The Q train announcement was, actually, decipherable. That's not to say it was easy to comprehend. "This train is being delayed. There is a dog on the tracks."

[Expressions]

*** The Road To Katherine
<http://www.storyquarterly.com/prose/goldbloomgoe.htm>
Goldie Goldbloom, Story Quarterly

*** Personal Effects
<http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~simmers/>
Cheryl Snell, Snakeskin

*** Handphone
<http://www.shampoopoetry.com/ShampooTwentyseven/27/ng.htm>
Gaston Ng, Shampoo

*** Our Lady Of Paris
<http://www.all-story.com/issues.cgi?action=show_story&story_id=322>
Daniyal Mueenuddin, Zoetrope: All-Story

*** The Rope-Dance
<http://www.slope.org/23wilkinson.html>
Judith Wilkinson, Slope

*** The Status Seekers
<http://www.aprweb.org/issues/current/ossip.html>
Kathleen Ossip, American Poetry Review

*** Remember, Baby?
<http://www.slate.com/id/2142947/>
Gregory Di Prinzio, Slate

*** Temasek Holdings: Singapore Connection At Center Of Thai Crisis
<http://au.news.yahoo.com/060920/19/10lv6.html>
AFP

The military coup in Thailand marked the culmination fo a political crisis partly triggered by the Singaporean takeover of a Thai conglomerate from ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's family.

*** PM Silent On Controversy
<http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=108624&version=1&template_id=45&parent_id=25>
AFP

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hisen Loong stayed silent on a controversy over foreign activists when he took the spotlight yesterday at the opening of the IMF-World Bank annual meetings.

*** Singapore Urges Citizens In Thailand To Stay In Safe Areas, Register With Foreign Ministry
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/20/asia/AS_GEN_Singapore_Thailand_Coup.php>
Associated Pres

*** Singapore Activists End Protest As PM Delivers Speech At IMF-World Bank Meeting
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/19/asia/AS_GEN_Singapore_Protest.php>
Associated Press

"The world now knows the extend of the repression in Singapore, and hopefully this wil translate into pressure on the Singapore government to reform the system," said protest leader Chee Soon Juan.

*** Chee Ends Protest After Three Days
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/143601.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

Dr Chee said there would be "an escalation of campaigns" in the coming months and that he would recruit more activists and "train" them in "strategies" of peaceful protests.

*** Don't Label Our Girls 'Easy', Say Angry Convent Schools
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/143587.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

Eleven convent schools in Singapore have threatened legal action against Singapore Press Holdings for an article that allegedly defamed convent schoolgirls.

[Opinion]

*** Someone Escaped The System
<http://www.oikono.com/wordpress/?p=204>
Okono

A person whom I know spent the last half a year in limbo hiding out in a foreign country. He was waiting for his asylum application to be processed as he was on the run from the Singapore army.

*** Fare Comparison Not Absolute
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/143600.asp>
Look Teik Soon, Public Transport Council, Today

*** Singapore, Johor And The Shenzhen-HK Model
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:e8935a5f186cd010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Yang Razali Kassim, Straits Times

The umbilical cord tying Johor and Singapore is a reality of history and will always be a factor in bilateral relations. Hopefully, the SJER will strengthen, not undermine, those relations.

*** StarHub Isn't Obliged To Carry RTM1. It Does This As A Public Service
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:ad32ff83c74cd010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Jeannie Ong, StarHub, Straits Times

[Entertainment]

*** JB The Mee Rebus Capital Of The Nation?
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=220635>
Dan Guen Chin, Bernama

Former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Singapore's Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew are ardent lovers of this savoury dish, especially the one prepared by the doyen of mee rebus Johor, Haji Wahid Ali of Kampung Melayu here.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]