[MyAppleMenu] Sep 19, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 19 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** A Bite Out Of Apple? Mac OS Share Goes Flat
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193003069&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All>
Gregg Keizer, TechWeb

Net Applications says the fact that Mac usage was growing until this year may be an indication of larger problems for Apple.

*** A Report On iTunes Bugs
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=139>
David Pogue, New York Times

*** Adobe Release Acrobat 8, Updates Creative Suite
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/18/acrobat8/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Steve Schwankert, IDG News Service

[Opinion]

*** Regarding Analyst Speculation On iPod Pricing
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/09/ipod_pricing>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

What I think is going on is that these analysts are still reading from the old script where Apple products get written off as overpriced and their customers branded as mindless cultists/zealots/fanatics/fools who are willing to pay exorbitant markups.

*** How Apple Can Take The Cell Phone Market With One Feature
<http://critic.typepad.com/planetsab/2006/09/how_apple_can_t.html>
Planet Sab

*** Apple Looks Ahead With iTV
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/09/itv/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

[Review]

*** 17- And 20-Inch iMacs Core 2 Duo: Speed Boost And Lower Prices For 17- And 20-Inch Models
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/reviews/imaclineup/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

*** iTunes 7: Rough Edges Mar Significant iTunes Enhancement
<http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2006/09/itunes7rev/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

A more organized interface, new Album and CoverFlow views, gapless playback and tighter iPod integration hint that it is the most significant enhancmeent to iTunes.

*** Berners-Lee: Intelligent Web Requires Co-Operation
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39283443,00.htm>
Jonathan Bennett, ZDNet UK

Creating a Semantic Web will need organisations to think beyond their own industries, according to W3C director Sir Tim Berners-Lee.

*** Reich To IT: Don't Fear Globalization
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2017274,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Stan Gibson, eWeek

Education is our most important weapon in fending off the challenge of the global economy, according to former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich.

[World]

*** A Sorry Situation
<http://www.slate.com/id/2149885/>
Anne Applebaum, Slate

It's time to stop apologizing and start defending freedom of speech.

[Tech & Science]

*** In Science-Based Medicine, Where Does Luck Fit In?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/19/health/19essa.html?ex=1316318400&en=39a02d438a549c5a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Barron H. Lerner, New York Times

Luck: Why are doctors and patients so reluctant to discuss a phenomenon that permeates medicine every day?

[Expressions]

*** Freight
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/060925fi_fiction>
Henry Roth, New Yorker

In February of 1939, having failed to establish myself as a screenwriter in Hollywood, I decided to hitchhike back to New York, where my future wife waited. It was a bland California mroning, pleasant and calm.

*** Good Governance Needed To Face Globalisation Head-On: PM Lee
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/231271/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

*** Malaysia-Singapore Talks On Outstanding Issues Stil On Hold
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=220533>
Bernama

Negotiations on various outstanding bilateral issues between Malaysia and Singapore are still on hold, with both sides focusing on confidence building efforts.

*** Parliament To Convene On Nov 2
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/143401.asp>
Today

[Opinion]

*** Out To Dinner
<http://whittakersingapore.blogspot.com/2006/09/out-to-dinner.html>
Whittakers In Singapore

I think last Friday was the first time I have ever exited one country, entered another country, went to dinner, and came back.

*** Return Public Transort As A Public Service
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/09/return-public-transport-as-public.html>
My Singapore News

The myth that it has to be privatised to be efficient and effective should be grounded.

*** Singapore MRT
<http://klcommuter.blogspot.com/2006/09/singapore-mrt.html>
KL Commuter

KL transport planners need not travel across the world and universe to do their expensive lawatan sambil belajar with their wives/mistresses. How about just paying Singapore a visit?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]