[MyAppleMenu] Sep 17, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 17 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** A Damp Squib From Apple's Mr Incredible
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-2361236,00.html>
The Times

The scale of Steve Jobs's success in digital music helps to explainw hy his move into the film business failed to meet his fans' high expectations.

[Opinion]

*** A Look Behind The iPod/iTunes Report
<http://www.internet-nexus.com/2006/09/look-behind-ipoditunes-report.htm>
Paul Thurrott, Internet Nexus

As iPod moves from gotta-have-it fashion accessory to all-too-common electronics device, it will be interesting to see if Apple can keep the momentum going. The good news, of course, is that Apple is pretty much the only company I know of that can probably make it happen.

*** iTuens 7 Killed My Clock Radio
<http://www.backupbrain.com/2006_09_10_archive.html#a004949>
Tom Negrino, Backup Brain

Well, actually, it didn't. I think. But there was a suspicious coincidence, and iTunes 7 did break my clock radio.

*** Mom Vs. The Machines
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/16/AR2006091600107.html?nav=rss_technology>
Amy Alexander, Washington Post

I can't help feeling a bit nervious as I watch my children experience new technology at such tender ages -- and at so many contact points in their young lives.

*** The Rise Of Baidu (That's Chinese For Google)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/17/business/yourmoney/17baidu.html?ex=1316145600&en=66b5bbadeb5c493b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Barboza, New York Times

Baidu is doing what no other internet company has been able to do: clobbering Google and yahoo in its home market.

*** Far Across The DMZ
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/17/magazine/17lives.html?ex=1316145600&en=fb4eafceb7e3fac7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Mary Chi-Whi Kim, New York Times

Last December, after 55 years, members of our South Korean family reunited with northern relatives for two hours via satellite. It was one of hundreds of such virtual reunions that the Red Cross has organized for families who have been separated since the 1953 armistice split the country in half.

*** Rights Group Says 48 Deported, Banned In Singapore
<http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-09-17T160027Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-267987-1.xml>
Koh Gui Qing, Reuters

Around 48 activists from 16 countries who wnted to attend the IMF-World Bank meetings or related events in Singapore have been deported, banned or interrogated by police, a rights group said on Sunday.

*** Singapore Politician Plans Prolonged Standoff
<http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-09-17T045351Z_01_SIN236970_RTRUKOC_0_UK-IMF-SINGAPORE-PROTEST.xml>
Fayen Wong, Reuters

A Singapore opposition leader, who was surrounded by police in a prolonged downtown stand-off over the right to protest, said on Sunday that he would refuse to move until Tuesday's formal start of the IMF-World Bank meetings.

*** Singapore Politician-Police Standoff Continues
<http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-09-17T022630Z_01_SIN236970_RTRUKOC_0_US-IMF-SINGAPORE-PROTEST.xml>
Sebastian Tong, Reuters

A downtown stand-off between Singapore police and an opposition politician over the right to hold a protest march entered its second day on Sunday, after the overnight encirclement of Chee Soon Juan and several supporters.

*** Singapore Police, Opposition In Park Standoff
<http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-09-16T211314Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-267872-3.xml&archived=False>
Fayen Wong, Reuters

The standoff comes at an awkward time for the Singapore government, with dozens of central bankers and finance ministers in town for the International Monetary Fund and World Bank event.

*** Singapore: Inside The Lion City, Part 4
<http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=31>
Philip Bowring, Asia Sentinel

Welcome to Singapore, the state ranked 140th out of 167 in the press freedom standings league of Reporters Without Borders. It is a well-earned honor.

[Opinion]

*** New Paper: More People At Singapore Idol Than Hong Lim On Saturday!!!
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2006/09/new-paper-more-people-at-singapore.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

*** False Information Of Rally And March
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/09/false-information-of-rally-and-march.html>
Singapore Election Watch

The PAP controlled media is engaged in a campaign of false information on the ongoing Empower Singaporeans March & Rally.

*** Smiles And Paved Roads Aren't Enough
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/9/17/focus/15449273&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Singapore is discovering just how different even strait-laced banking representatives in today's world think and act compared to them. How fast it is ready to change will decide its pace of progress towards becoming a global city of distinction.

*** Without The PAP, Singapore Will Collapse!!!
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2006/09/without-pap-singapore-will-collapse.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

Reading the Straits Times everyday, I feel that Singpaoreans are so lucky to be living in such a system created by MM Lee, where the leaders do everything in our interest and we can concentrate on our weekend shopping without thinking too much about anything else.

*** Singapore's Paranoia: Police Statehood Taken To New Levels
<http://diodati.omniscientx.com/2006/09/16/singapores-paranoia-police-statehood-taken-to-new-levels>
E Pur Si Muove