[MyAppleMenu] Sep 16, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 16 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** 'Teardown' Finds Few Changes To New Video iPod
<http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193001317>
Dylan McGrath, EE Times

Wedbush Morgan Securities, which conducted the teardown, concluded that the new device is a short-term stopgap until Apple is "ready to launch its true iPod Video later this year or early next year."

*** Who Is Jonathan Ive?
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_39/b4002414.htm>
BusinessWeek

An in-depth look at the man behind Apple's design magic.

*** iPod fans Shun iTunes Says Report
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5350258.stm>
BBC News

Despite the success of Apple iTunes, few people stock their iPod with tracks from the online store, reports a study.

[Opinion]

*** Is Steve Jobs The New Lord Of The Rings?
<http://featured.gigaom.com/2006/09/15/is-steve-jobs-the-new-lord-of-the-rings/>
Gary Morgenthaler, GigaOM

The next release of Mac OS X (Leopard) is that long-sought "Ring" and Steve Jobs is about to become "Lord of the Rings."

*** Creative Does Apple's Dirty Work On Zune
<http://www.invbiznews.com/wordpress/?p=464>
The Business News Source

In what must be the most amazing stroke of luck for Apple, it seems that hte non-iPod player market is turning in on itself whilst Apple sits on the sidelines creaming in more sales and more plaudits.

*** US Warns Of Overzealous DRM Regulation; Reframing The DRM Debate
<http://www.digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/09/14/us-warns-of-overzealous-drm-regulation-reframing-the-drm-debate/>
Grant Robertson, Digital Music Weblog

The Europeans understand, far better than we, that DRM does absolutely nothing to protest content. Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

*** Apple Gave Me Back All My Lost Music, Free Of Charge
<http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2006/09/apple_gave_me_b.html>
Wil Wheaton, WWdN: In Exile

She assured me that this is Apple's corporate policy, and they'll do this for anyone who has a catastrophic loss of their iTunes Music Store purchases, regardless of the cause.

*** Showtime: The New iPods
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/09/showtime_ipods>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

*** The Most Exciting Feature Of iTV May Be It's USB Port
<http://huibert-aalbers.com/blog/?p=48>
Huibert-Aalbers.com

*** Circular Arguments
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/09/circular/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

The pattern I was seeing is now plainly apparent: circular application icons.

[Review]

*** Hands-On Details On Mac Pro
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/09/handson_details.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

*** 24-Inch iMac Core 2 Duo/2.16GHz
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/reviews/24inchimac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

If you're looking for the ultimate iMac with a taste of the pro-level features the Mac Pro provides, you'll find the 24-inch iMac to be the perfect middle ground.

*** iPod Nano (Second Generation: Updated Mid-Sized iPod Finds Inspiration In The Past
<http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2006/09/nano2g/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

*** A New, Computer-Generated Voice
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fg-chimedia16sep16,1,7142383.story?track=rss>
Mark Magnier, Los Angeles Times

Chinese are increasingly demanding a freer flow of information, and analysts say the internet will thwart government efforts to prevent it.

*** For Central Park Carriage Horse, Death Arrives Inelegantly
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/16/nyregion/16horse.html?ex=1316059200&en=5a9c6639775c4db4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Corey Kilgannon, New York Times

"For a million tourists, she was what they remember of Manhattan. Her picture is all over the world. And look at her now."

*** Apple Flavor The Language, Too
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/12/AR2006091200413.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/foodanddining>
Grant Barnett, Washington Post

An apple is more than the seed of man's original sin. In American English, it's also a baseball, a basketball and a badly rolled bowling ball; a regular person, a fool and a sucker.

[Ramblings]

*** What I Hope singapore Would Be 40 Years From Now
Heng-Cheong Leong

For a government that constantly remind the citizens that one must change -- upgrade skills, accept newcomers -- in order to stay relevant in this global world, it is a little disturbing to find the same government wanting to cling on to its old ways of government.

Lee Kuan Yew: "We have structured the system such that a competent group which gets in will find a machine that works. Don't tinker with it."

Unfortunately, in my opinion, this is a system that will fail the country if we continue to use the same system for the next 40 years. This is a system where there are no safeguards; no separation of power; no checks and balances.

Lee Kuan Yew is not an idiot. The answer on how to change the system is right there under his nose -- or as the Straits Times reports <http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:9a03106d7e1bd010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>: "Mr Lee mused that the problem with Singapore was that it had 'now reached a very odd stage' - an electorate which wants the PAP in power, but also an opposition to 'squeeze' the government."

Well, one man's "squeeze" is another man's "checks and balances."

If there are no checks and balances, one freak election result will probably spell serious trouble for the nation. Two freak election results will probably mean "the country comes to a grinding halt." That I agrees with Lee Kuan Yew. What I don't agree is the PAP's method: prevent freak results by oppression, by being authoritarian, by using repressive powers.

The correct method, I feel, is to start building extensive checks and balances. Lift the party whip permanently: pass laws because everyone is convinced that the law is good, not because no one can oppose. Don't "fix" the oppositions by "buy[ing] ... supporters over." Fix the opposition by convincing the opposition that the government is doing good. Allow a thousand voices to bloom; don't repress different opinions; no more 'Mr Brown' incidents. Let Chee Soon Juan march. Build a judicial system where libel lawsuits do not require expensive lawyers to defend, and where public figures have to prove harder than non public figures. Build a judicial system where it is not only fair, but preceived to be fair.

The U.S. system has two freak presidential elections already, where a president has been elected that not only lie to the public, but also bend laws to suit his own's agenda, and probably break laws too. But if you ask typical Americans, they will tell you that they are still very optimistic about the future of their country. Why? Because U.S. has good fundamentals. Two freak election results did not kill the country.

What I hope Singapore would be 40 years from now? A system of checks and balances to be in place; a system where I and my daughter don't have to worry about freak results.

[News]

*** Activists Say Might Take Legal Action Against Singapore
<http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2006/09/16/activists_say_might_take_legal_action_against_singapore/>
Koh Gui Qing, Reuters

Activists are considering legal action against Singapore, accusing the government of violating human rights after police held members incommunicado before deporting them, an activist said on Saturday.

*** Police, Protesters Face Off In Singapore
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1742564.htm>
Karen Percy, ABC

Singapore's police are in a stand-off with a handful of local pro-democracy advocates who have broken a law that prevents gatherings of more than four people without a permit.

*** Singapore Stops Opposition Protest
<http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2006/09/16/singapore_agrees_to_admit_globalization_foes_1158387128/>
Fayen Wong, Reuters

Singapore police stopped an opposition politician from leading a protest march past the venue for the annual IMF-World Bank meetings on Saturday, again highlighting the city-state's restrictions on freedom of speech.

*** More Than 160 NGOs Boycott IMF-World Bank Meetings
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/060915/1/43gpa.html>
AFP

More than 160 non-governmental groups declared a boycott of IMF and World Bank meetings in Singapore to protest against a clampdown on free speech and the banning of activists.

*** Singapore Activists To Stage 'Illegal' March For Democracy
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1742402.htm>
ABC

Pro-democracy activists in Singapore are pushing ahead with plans to stage a protest march today, despite the threat of arrest.

*** Singapore Must preserve Its System Of Govt: MM
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:9a03106d7e1bd010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times

*** Singapore's Climbdown On Activists Too Late: NGOs
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060916/wl_afp/singaporeimfworldbankprotest_060916024858>
AFP

"This gesture is, quite simply, too little too late. Expensive travel plans have already been undone, and many civil society organizations are unable to fly to Singapore on a moment's notice."

*** Strong Singapore Needed To Say 'No' To Neighbours - Lee
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/060915/3/43gi5.html>
Reuters

Singapore's former leader Lee Kuan Yew defended his party's political dominance, saying it was vital for the predominantly ethnic Chinese state to stand up to its bigger, majority-Muslim neighbours, Indonesia and Malaysia. "Our neighbours both have problems with their Chinese. They are successful. They are hardworking and therefore they are systemically marginalised."

[Opinion]

*** Say Cheese!
<http://ianinsingapore.blogspot.com/2006/09/say-cheese.html>
Ian In Singapore

I like looking like a foreigner.

*** This Singapore Librarian's Take On The International Monetary Fund And World Bank Meetings In Singapore
<http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2006/09/this-singapore-librarians-take-on.html>
Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian

I don't think the meetings are organised just so that demonstrations and protests can be held.

*** Absolute Fare Comparison Is Misleading
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/142916.asp>
Lim Boon Hee, Today

*** Noisy When People Thrown Stones At Tinpots
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-650.htm>
Yawningbread.org

It's time Singaporeans see how ill-served we are by our government's authoritarian instincts.

*** Change Of Mind
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/09/change-of-mind.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma