[MyAppleMenu] Sep 8, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 8 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Bare Bones Unveils BBEdit 8.5
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15800>
Macworld UK

Bare Bones Software calls this a "significant update," ushering in a claimed 160 new features to the HTML and text editor for the Mac.

*** Apple Files Upgraded Trademark For iMovie
<http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=97>
MacNN

*** Powers Of Persuasion
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/lanier/>
David Levy, Apple

*** Parallels Updated With Mac Pro, Leopard Support
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/07/parallels/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Apple's iTunes Advantage
<http://vegblog.veggiedude.com/index.php?/archives/1275-Apples-iTunes-advantage.html>
A Liberal Atheistic Vegblog

*** Things I Don't Like About My Mac
<http://www.comeacross.info/2006/09/07/things-i-dont-like-about-my-mac/>
ComeAcross

*** Apple Enters Phase 3 Of Its Mac Ad Strategy
<http://www.artofgeek.com/?p=6>
Art Of Geek

Apple's Mac marketing strategy is now coming into focus and seems to be close to firing on all cylinders for the upcoming holiday season.

*** Can A 30" iMac Be Far Behind
<http://www.kinnon.tv/2006/09/can_a_30_imac_b.html>
Achievable Ends

*** The Diary Of A Low-End Computer Consultant
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=131>
David Pogue, New York Times

[Review]

*** The TV Mini HD: Revisiting HDTV On The Mac
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/09/the_tv_mini_hd_revisiting_hdtv.html>
Erice Sadn, O'Reilly Network

*** USB Microphones Compared
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/reviews/usbmicrophones/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Blue Snowball and Samson C01U offer ease of use for computer-based recording.

[Sidetrack]

*** Movie Store? What Movie Store?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I read all these rumors and speculations and gossips about Apple and Amazon and online movie store and pricing and DRM and all such issues with, well, just a little bit of distance and indifferent.

Here in Singapore, I am still waiting for a iTunes music store, let alone television show and movies. :-)

*** Money To Spend? How About Some Clothings?
Heng-Cheong Leong

For the ultimate Mac users (*cough*fanboy*cough*), here's a guide on how you can spend more money so that you can dress like a Mac <http://www.lifeclever.com/2006/09/07/how-to-dress-like-a-mac/>. No, we're not talking about Halloween costumes. Rather, it's the "Hi, I'm a PC. Hi, I'm a Mac" Mac.

Of course, real Mac users are either hanging on to their money to spend after next Tuesday ("It's Showtime!"), or have already spend their life savings on that 24-inch iMac.

*** Six Good Reasons To Jump Ship
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2013523,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Deborah Rothberg, eWeek

*** Fastest Supercomputer To Be Built
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5322704.stm>
BBC News

Computer giant IBM will build the world's most powerful supercomputer at a US government laboratory.

*** Open Things Up, Microsoft
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2012969,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Mary Jo Foley, eWeek

It's time for Microsoft to put its software where its mouth has been.

*** Front Page For Sale
<http://www.slate.com/id/2149176/fr/rss/>
Jack Shafer, Slate

So hidebound and dimwitted are U.S. newspapers that it's predictable that their idea of breaking all the rules is something U.S. newspapers were doing a century ago.

*** World Bank, IMF Urge Singapore To Allow All Accredited Activists To Attend Annual Meetings
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/08/asia/AS_GEN_Singapore_IMF_Civil_Society.php>
Associated Press

The Singapore government has informed the World Bank and IMF that it objects to the accreditation of several civil society representatives, and stated its intention to prevent them from attending the Sept. 11-20 meetings, the two institutions said in a joint statement.

*** Singapore Orders Out Peta Activists
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=112755>
DPA

Two members of an international animal rights group were ordered to leave Singapore on Friday after disclosing plans to protest outside a KFC restaurant in the nude, the organization said.

*** Smoky Haze Blankets Singapore
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=112752>
DPA

A smoky haze blanketed Singapore Friday as airborne pollutants reached 2006 highs, meteorologists said.

*** The Sound Of Silence
<http://www.asia-city.com/feature/content.php?articlesid=2111&section=62&category=4&rating=&orderby=1&searchtype=issuedate&scity=4&sissuedate=2006-09-08&totalrecord=1&issuecity=Singapore&type=&currentrecord=0&nextrecord=0&currentpageno=1>
Elaine Meyers, I-S

It's nearly impossible to get a protest off the ground these days.

*** Gloom In Hotel Lobbies
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/229207/1/.html>
Jasmine Yin, Today

*** Batam Offiically Bans Anti-IMF Protests
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/229205/1/.html>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

A move to protest International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank policies -- right at Singapore's doorstep -- has been officially banned by the Batam police.

*** Singapore's Temasek Too Wants A Pie Of Asia Growth
<http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=139761>
Financial Express

Temasek Holdings, Singapore's state investment company, said India, China and Japan are accelerating together for the first time and it wants to capture that growth.

*** Just How Good Are Temasek's Returns?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:e01797b29b88d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Bryan Lee, Straits Times

Lack of appropriate benchmarks makes it hard to assess its return of 24%.

*** Mickey At Marina?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/141260.asp>
Val Chua, Today

[Opinion]

*** A Nation In Crisis?
<http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2006/09/nation-in-crisis.html>
The Kway Teow Man

What's going on with our local universities? Why are our students crying out for quotas against the foreign students who are already handicapped.

*** Library Etiquette: Hogging Of Table And Seat
<http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2006/09/library-etiquette-hogging-of-table.html>
Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian

*** Punggol 21 Still Doesn't Add Up
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/141242.asp>