[MyAppleMenu] Oct 30, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 30 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Greenpeace Reaction To MacExpo Ejection
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16317>
Mark hattersley, Macworld UK

Greenpeace has responded to being ejected from the MacExpo in London saying it was "a totally over-the-top reaction".

*** Apple Has Maths Library Problem
<http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35412>
Charlie Demerjian, The Inquirier

It looks like Apple has a problem with its math libraries in OS X 10.4.8 on Intel.

*** A Bruised Apple
<http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/technology/10/30/30apple.html>
Bob Keefe, Austin American-Statesman

Computer maker is showing cracks in its product quality.

*** 2G Shuffle Finally Shipping
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/29/2g-shuffle-finally-shipping>
Engadget

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

NovaMind <http://www.nova-mind.com/>: To conduct and record the outcomes of brainstorming sessions.

[Opinion]

*** My MacBook Pro, Week 1
<http://www.sgtstryker.com/index.php/archives/my-macbook-pro-week-1/>
The Daily Brief

There's definitely a learning curve.

*** Think Secret Foiled Again
<http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2006/10/30/think-secret-foiled-again/>
Thomas Fitzgerald

It never ceases to amaze me how the Mac rumour site "Think Secret" can throw out a random rumour, call it fact and have everyone pick up on it.

*** Steven Levy Talks About His iPod Book
<http://www.wordyard.com/2006/10/29/levy-ipod/>
Scott Rosenberg, Wordyard

*** New Apple Patent Art I Show You Here May Point To iPod With Camera
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1297>
Russell Shaw, ZDNet

*** Dear Apple, Please Don't Screw Up My iPhone!
<http://macthoughtcrime.blogspot.com/2006/10/dear-apple-please-dont-screw-up-my.html>
Mac Thought Crime

Here's my humble list of requests for a smartphone.

*** I Like Macs. Why Don't You?
<http://art-tao.blogspot.com/2006/10/i-like-macs-why-dont-you.html>
The Tao Of Art And Stuff

Mostly I like the way Macs pretty much just let me do what I need to do without demanding much in the way of maintenance or attention.

*** Lessons Learned From Nearly Twenty Years At Apple
<http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/2006/10/lessons_learned.html>
Applepeels

The first thing I picked up at Apple is that you are your own best resource.

*** A Tale Of One iPod
<http://ramblindave.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_ramblindave_archive.html#116216162583657400>
Another American (Near) Paris

*** Does Apple Have A Blogging Policy?
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/10/29.html#doesAppleHaveABloggingPolicy>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

If Apple really believes what Chuq says, they can relax a bunch, the blogosphere is smart enough to discern between a spokesperson and a plain old person.

*** Under Fire, Soldiers Kill Blogs
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,72026-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Xeni Jardin, Wired News

Some of the web's more popular "milblogs" -- blogs maintained by present or former active duty military personnel -- are going quiet following a renewed push by U.S. military officials to scan sites for security risks.

[World]

*** In Early Newspapers, Only 'Mr Silky Milky' Would Be Impartial
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116216815220307359-_LOE_tBHeaaP1gz5O0Ru5gNvJg0_20071029.html?mod=rss_free>
Cynthia Crossen, Wall Street Journal

Early American newspaper publishers scoffed at the idea that they should hide their political prejudices under a cloak of objectivity.

[Life]

*** History As Written By A "SimCity" Freak
<http://www.salon.com/books/int/2006/10/30/johnson/index_np.html?source=rss>
Scott Rosenberg, Salon

Gifted amateurs defeated London's cholera epidemic in the 1850s, says culture/tech visionary Steven Johnson, and today a similar bottom-up approach to knowledge can improve neighborhoods, reform cities, even thwart terror.

*** Ready To Be Dads, But They're Going To Need Help
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-na-surrogacy29oct29,1,6949320.story?track=rss>
Kevin Sack, Los Angeles Times

For a bab of their own, David and Chad will have to draw on science, the law, their families -- and most of all, each other.

*** How To Be Funny
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/10/29/svcarr29.xml>
Jimmy Carr and Lucy Greeves, Telegraph

Why are comedians such good liars? How hard do they work on their jokes? And how important is... timing?

*** Thai Govt'll Not Intervene In Temasek-Shin Corp Scandal
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/30/headlines/headlines_30017513.php>
The Nation

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont assured Singapore on Monday that his government would not intervene in the Temasek-Shin Corp takeover scandal. Surayud told Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong the matter would be left entirely to the law courts to determine.

*** Political Elitism Enhances Class Divide
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/29/focus/15847372&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Singapore's People's Action Party is confronted with a widening class divide and a creeping political elitism that could drive it from power, if they are allowed to fester.

*** Press Digest - Singapore Newspapers - Oct 30
<http://asia.news.yahoo.com/061029/3/2s1z1.html>
Reuters

Next year's haze could be the worst yet, with experts predicting a possible return of the super El Nino weather effect; Singapore's foray into biotechnology could prove successful in the long run, but it faces some big threats and risks along the way, according to a paper by researchers from the World Bank.

[Opinion]

*** My Singapore's First Day Routine - Part 3
<http://madnessreloaded.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-singapores-first-day-rountine-part-3.html>
Madness Reloaded

I couldn't complete my 1st day routine in Singapore anymore because some wise guys shut down Empress.

*** The Importance Of Being Moderate
<http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2006/10/the_importance_.html>
Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

It is important that there is a need in our education to emphasize the need for moderation.

*** A Question Of Misjudgement
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/30/opinion/opinion_30017462.php>
The Nation

We can only hpe this is the last such stumble for Temasek. It must remove any cloud of uncertainty surrounding the Shin Corp deal. If it tries to think that it can manipulate persons supposedly occupying positions of influence in Thailand in order to find a quick-fix to its embarrassing situation, then it is a bad miscalculation.

*** The Taxis In Singapore Know Where You Are
<http://easteatswest.typepad.com/east_eats_west/2006/10/the_taxis_in_si.html>
East Eats West

*** Temasek Holdings' Tongnoi Tangle
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-672.htm>
Yawningbread.org

This only serves to remind people that Temasek might not have done sufficient political due diligence prior to finalising its purchase of Shin Corp, thus causing the political problems it now faces.

*** LTA Has Identified 'Spots' In Fare Over-Charging And Will Fix Problem
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:f8728c9f4088e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Tammy Tan, SBS Transit, Straits Times

Fare stages are automatically updated by the system using GPS signals. Errors occur when the system is not receiving accurate GPS signals, when there is lost communication between devices, when there are changes in bus routes due to temporary road diversions, or when there are manual input errors and the system is not working.

*** One Company For Bus Service, One For Trains
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:97fb42820849e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Toh Kai Hua, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.