[MyAppleMenu] Oct 17, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 17 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple Filing For iPhone Trademarks Worldwide
<http://10layers.com/2006/10/apple-filing-for-iphone-trademarks-worldwide/>
10layers.com

To summarise, we can confirm that Apple has been filing for the iPhone trademarks in Australia, Canada, the European Union, New Zealand, Singapore and the United Kingdom. In addition, it looks like Apple is also, via a third party, applying for iPhone trademarks in Hong Kong and the United States.

*** Macs Ready For Marketshare Explosion, Researchers Claim
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=16182>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Universal Confirms Music Fans Want Rare Tracks Online
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=16181>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Universal Music has seen significant success in releasing back-catalogue and out-of-print music through digital music services, including iTunes.

*** Straight Dope On The iPod's Birth
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/cultofmac/0,71956-0.html?tw=wn_technology_2>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

Thanks to Apple's perchant for CIA-like secrecy, there are several myths concerning the birth of the iPod.

*** IBM/Lenovo, Apple Top Supprot Firm's Hardware Reliability Ratings
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/16/rescuecom_reliability_audit/>
Tony Smith, Reg Hardware

*** MacBook Owners Organize Against Apple On Sudden Shutdown Problem
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/hardware/193303007%3bjsessionid=SAUFG0CLQDVT4QSNDLQCKHSCJUNN2JVN>
Gregg Keizer, TechWeb

*** Apple Files iPhone Trademark, Heads Explode
<http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/apple-files-iphone-trademark-heads-explode-207985.php>
Jason Chen, Gizmodo

*** Gigabit Ethernet ExpressCard Comes To MacBook Pro
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/16/smalltree/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** iBlue Turns Mac Into IP-Based PBX
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/16/iblue/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** Apple Acquires Silicon Color
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/16/silicon/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Silicon Coor developed professional color finishing software for film and video editors working on Macs.

[Opinion]

*** Apple's Xserve Xeon: Built To Fall Apart
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/10/apples_xserve_x.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

I was struck by perferctly Xserve Xeon was designed, and in particular by how easily it comes apart.

*** Will Leopard Get Buried By Vista Buzz?
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/10/will_leopard_ge.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

If you were counting on Leopard gaining an advantage from shipping before Vista, it looks like you're out of luck.

*** Something Old, Something New
<http://googlemac.blogspot.com/2006/10/something-old-something-new.html>
Scott Knaster and Rose Yao, Google Mac

*** Great Customer Service...
<http://dreamingofcolorado.blogspot.com/2006/10/great-customer-service.html>
A Small Peek Inside My Brain

All in all, I spent about 30 minutes in the Apple store, and all I did was tell them my problem and they fixed it without a single question.

*** Et Tu, Tim Cook?
<http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2006/10/et-tu-tim-cook.html>
The Secret Diary Of Steve Jobs

Read: He's already running the place.

*** Out Of One Little Typo, A Kerfuffle Was Born
<http://theshapeofdays.com/2006/10/out_of_one_little_typo_a_kerfu.html>
The Shape Of Days

You might think that sort of thing is okay on the internet, Larry -- God knows there's enough precedent for believing so -- but the web isn't the old west any more. These days, you shovel horse manure, folks gonna complain about the stink.

*** Losing Faith Of A New MacBook
<http://aj007m.blogspot.com/2006/10/loosing-faith-of-new-macbook.html>
Amorn's Blog

I'm losing faith on Apple hardware.

*** Is Apple's Option's Scandal Over
<http://247wallst.blogspot.com/2006/10/is-apples-options-scandal-over-aapl.html>
24/7 Wall St

The options issue at Apple is not over, no matter how much the company wants the market to think it is.

*** Rambings On Digital Education
<http://www.darowski.com/tracesofinspiration/2006/10/16/ramblings-on-digital-education/>
Traces Of Inspiration

*** I Just Can't Help Myself
<http://destinyofshadow.com/blog/?p=359>
Jessehogie

*** One Of Those Times I'm Glad I Have A Mac
<http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/2006/10/one_of_those_ti.html>
Applepeels

What are the things that really make me happy to be a Mac user?

*** My Experience With ProCare
<http://www.macuser.com/stores/my_experience_with_procare.php?lsrc=murss>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

The question comes down to this: Is this proper treatment from Apple for simply buying a ProCare membership? Shouldn't all customers be treated equally, at least in certain politeness and level-of-service respects?

[Review]

*** NewsFire
<http://schwarztech.us/reviews/newsfire>
Eric Schwarz, SchwarzTech

NewsFire offers some unique extra features and still won't overwhelm users who want a simple news reader.

*** Photomatix: A Virtual Magic Wand
<http://db.tidbits.com/article/8711>
Charles Maurer, TidBITS

*** Pangea Arcade
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/reviews/arcade/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

All in all, Pangea Arcade is a competent and mostly fun reinterpretation of classic arcade games; Firefall left me wanting, though.

*** Skills Gap Hurts Technology Boom In India
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/world/asia/17india.html?ex=1318737600&en=59bb0909b2f7eaa6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Somini Sengupta, New York Times

*** The Information Factories
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/cloudware.html>
George Gilder, Wired

The desktop is dead. Welcome to the internet cloud, where massive facilities across the globe will store all the data you'll ever use.

*** Joining The Party, Eager To Make Friends
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/16/technology/16social.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Saul Hansell, New York Times

Social networking sites are trying to move beyond banner ads and develop ways to integrate marketers into the fabric of their online communities.

*** EU Threat To Internet Freedom
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6056942.stm>
BBC News

Internet broadcasters should not be subjected to the same rules which govern television, peers have been told.

[Arthur Miller]

*** Arthur Miller's Death Of A Salesman: A Celebration
<http://jco.usfca.edu/arthurmiller.html>
Joyce Carol Oates, Michigan Quarterly Review

*** Arthur Miller
<http://www.theparisreview.org/viewinterview.php/prmMID/4369>
Christopher Bigby, Olga Carlisle, Rose Styron, The Paris Review

*** A Visit With Castro
<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20040112/miller/>
Arthur Miller, The Nation

Like a lot of other people's feelings toward Cuba, mine have been mixed in the past decades.

[Life]

*** Dare To Be Stupid
<http://villagevoice.com/music/0642,zwickel,74733,22.html>
Jonathan Zwickel, Village Voice

In defense, praise, and unrelenting awe of the increasingly vital Weird Al.

*** Real Estate: Not Your Father's Retirement
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15265977/site/newsweek/>
Daniel McGinn and Andrew Murr, Newsweek

Boomers are redefiing the 'golden years' by buying into communities that feature Pilates over shuffleboard, moving back downtown -- or even staying put.

*** Why Everyone You Know Thinks The Same As You
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/15/AR2006101500913.html?nav=rss_nation/science>
Shankar Vedantam, Washington Post

Homophily may help explain some of the bitter partisanship of our times -- when your friends are drawn exclusively from one half of the electorate, it is not surprising that you will find the views of the other half inexplicable.

[Expressions]

*** Stairway To Heaven
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/061023fi_fiction>
Aleksandar Hemon, New Yorker

[EOF]

*** You Were Born With Your Future Facial Expressions
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10307-you-were-born-with-your-future-facial-expressions.html>
Roxanne Khamsi, New Scientist

Facial expressions appear to be at least partially inherited, according to a study of blind people and their relatives.

[Ramblings]

*** Singapore's Top Among Countries That Practices Age Discrimination At Work
Heng-Cheong Leong

A survey <http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0610/S00328.htm> by Kelly Services indicate that Singapore, together with Sweden and Thailand, are among the top countries among the 28 survedy countries that practice age discrimination in the workplace.

[News]

*** Singpaore Airlines Mulls Higher Ticket Prices After Aircraft Interior Upgrade
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/10/17/afx3095952.html>
AFX News Limited

*** Details Of Scheme For Overseas Law Grad Released
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/149086.asp>
Channel NewsAsia

*** Temasek Vows To Cut Down Stake
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/17/headlines/headlines_30016377.php>
Thanong Khanthong, The Nation

In a statement, Temasek's senior managing director Jimmy Phoon said the share reduction plan was part of his company's original intention, to maintain Shin Corp's listing status on the Thai stock market following Temasek's public tender offer in March.

*** 400 Affected As Rail Services On NEL Break Down Again
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:b84789aff325e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
T Rajan, Straits Times

Train services on a section of the North-East Line (NEL) were disrupted for nearly an hour at lunchtime yesterday, shutting down two MRT stations and leaving about 400 commuters stranded.

[Opinion]

*** Temasek's Letter To Editor
<http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/17/politics/politics_30016388.php>
Jimmy Phoon, Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited, The Nation

*** The Little Something On The Right Of Access To Counsel
<http://kitana.wordpress.com/2006/10/16/the-little-something-on-the-right-of-access-to-counsel/>
Coffee And Cigarettes

*** Shin Corp Deal: Temasek Compiled With Thai Laws
<http://mediawatchsg.blogspot.com/2006/10/shin-corp-deal-temasek-complied-with.html>
Singapore Media Watch

Just as shareholders of a public-listed company have the right to question the board's management of the company, Temasek, as a government investment firm, should be subjected to the same kind of scrutiny by Singaporeans who are de facto its real stakeholders.

*** Economy Of Singapore Is Good?
<http://eastcoastlife.blogspot.com/2006/10/economy-of-singapore-is-good.html>
Eastcoastlife

Those in the government are the only optimistic people around. Why not? They are still going to get their bonuses at the end of the year even if you go hang yourself or jump off a HDB building.

*** Shin Corp Deal: Temasek Compiled With Thai Laws
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:96ab89aff325e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Myrna Thomas, Temasek Holdings, Straits Times

We would like to reduce our shareholding in Shin Corp at the appropriate time and in an appropriate manner for orderly market conduct.

[Technology]

*** Wireless at SG
<http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2006/10/wirelesssg.html>
Open Malaysia

It is really heartening to see Singapore take these first steps towards opening up access in the telecommunications space.

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore Biennale 2006
<http://indielady.multiply.com/photos/album/1>
Words Are Poisoned Darts Of Pleasure