[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 16 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** 'Does Music Still Matter? Yes... And No!'
<http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1923704,00.html>
Jarvis Cocker, The Guardian

*** Mac Sales Climb In Q4, Analysts Say
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=16163&page=1&pagepos=0>
Macworld UK

*** Classroom Is An iPod?
<http://www.star.niu.edu/articles/?id=33581>
Lauren Stott, Northern Star

Podcasts of class lectures may be a possibility in the near future thanks to an increased access to technology.

*** Apple's No. 2 Has Low Profile, High Impact
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116096027141893457-aw4qwn7qYUIsPkdiK5OYcdC3RAc_20071015.html?mod=rss_free>
Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal

Timothy D. Cook's low profile notwithstanding, his contributions at Apple have earned him enough notice within technolgy circles that he is routinely solicited for CEO jobs, although the 45-year-old has voiced no near-term plans to leave Apple, say people who know him.

*** Marquette One Of The First Schools To Use iPod For Tours
<http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=5541769>
Associated Press

*** Digital Rights In Question As Business Model
<http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-10-15T204243Z_01_N15371797_RTRUKOC_0_US-DIGITAL.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsHome-C3-technologyNews-3>
Antony Bruno, Reuters

If the music industry truly wants to loosen Apple's iron grip on digital music sales, it should start allowing music to be sold without digital rights management protection. That's the theory posited by several music services these days in response to the whipping they're taking from the dominant iTunes Store.

*** 'Good For The Soul'
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15262121/site/newsweek/>
Steven Levy, Newsweek

With iPod's fifth birthday around the corner, Steve Jobs discusses the MP3 player's design, the cool factor and the imapct on how we listen to music.

[Opinion]

*** Apple More Secure Than Windows NT?
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Apple_more_secure_than_Windows_NT_/0,130061744,339271555,00.htm>
Patrick Gray, ZDNet Australia

With exploit code for an OS X vulnerability released recently and a compromised Australian university Mac server caught hosting malware in August, it may be time Apple admitted its platform is no more secur ethan any other.

*** Apple And Microsoft; A Tale Of Two Piracy Fighters
<http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6356/983/>
Stan Beer, ITWire

A recent interview between Apple CEO Steve Jobs and Newsweek editor Steven Levy was most instructive with respect to the differences between Apple and Microsoft with respect to fighting piracy of music and software.

*** Weeding Out The Wi-Fi Scams
<http://q.queso.com/archives/002021>
Jaso Levine, Q Daily News

*** A Consultant Who LIes? Well Shut My Mouth
<http://theshapeofdays.com/2006/10/a_consultant_who_lies_well_shu.html>
Jeff Harrell, The Shape Of Days

*** Larry Bodine: Attorney At Flaw
<http://innerdaemon.wordpress.com/2006/10/14/larry-bodine-attorney-at-flaw/>
Sharing The Truth One Thread At A Time

*** Flame: My Birthday Present To Me
<http://wilshipley.com/blog/2006/10/flame-my-birthday-present-to-me.html>
WIl Shipley, Call Me Fishmeal

In summary: you are fundamentally only interested in using Microsoft products, and you find that your experience o a Mac using nothing written by Apple and everything by Microsoft is sub-par. Wow! I am SHOCKED!

*** Why I Got A MacBook...
<http://www.averageadmins.com/blog/2006/10/15/why-i-got-a-macbook/>
Jeff Cross, Average Admins

The main kicker of the Mac to me is OS X. The operating system is built upon FreeBSD which makes me like it even more. The GUI is far superior to any versions of Windows I have used.

*** Why I Switched
<http://parrview.blogspot.com/2006/10/why-i-switched.html>
Don Parr, Parr View

I discovered after a short time that I was no longer using my Windows desktop PC at all, but spending all my computing time on my iBook!

[Review]

*** Mac Mini Review
<http://ldopa.net/2006/10/15/mac-mini-review/>
ldopa.net

*** Blackberry Pearl Review: A Mac User's Perspective
<http://theblackcoat.com/2006/10/15/the-blackberry-pearl-review-a-mac-users-perspective/>
The Black Coat

Overall, the Blackberry Pearl works well, but is still a little buggy for those who want to sync it with their Mac (pretty much everyone).

*** Sony Reader Performs Like A Good First Draft
<http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/business/98005,5_3_WA16_MOSSBERG_S1.article>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

*** Message On Sensitive E-Mails Is Not Getting Through
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0d7e8394-5aed-11db-8f80-0000779e2340.html>
Ben White, Financial Times

When new employees start at Goldman Sachs, among the first things they are told is that they should not put anything in an e-mail that they wouldn't want to read in the newspaper.

[World]

*** Hillary Is Us
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/10/16/hillary/index.html?source=rss>
Rebecca Traister, Salon

Feminists want to see in Hillary Rodham Clinton what they want to see in themselves. With expectations so high, can the potential presidential candidate do anything but let women down?

[Life]

*** One More Daring Step
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/10/15/one_more_daring_step/>
Scott Sutherland, Boston Globe

>From performing on New York's subway trains to dancing topless in white paint and a mohawk, it's been quite a journey to Boston Ballet for Tai Jimenez.

[EOF]

*** French Diet Secrets Revealed: Swallow Consonants, Fell Full All Day
<http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/stories/2>
Elizabeth Morgan, Weekly World News

*** Commuters Can Now Help In Search For Missing Persons
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/148877.asp>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Crime Library Singapore has found an important partner in its work of helping to find missing persons. Transport operator SMRT has agreed to allow the local volunteer group to display missing persons' posters at all its 51 MRT stations and six bus interchanges for free.

*** Biggest Crowd Yet At Vivocity, But No Jams
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:f5fddb3c21d4e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
T. Rajan and Adeline Chia, Straits Times

*** New-Look Changi Point Retains Rustic Charm
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/148839.asp>
David Chew, Today

What previously was just bare coastline with a few benches and scattered narrow pathways, is now linked by a well-lit boardwalk that blends in with the flora and fauna.

[Opinion]

*** PAP-bashing With Reasoning
<http://singaporegovt.blogspot.com/2006/10/pap-bashing-with-reasoning.html>
Singapore Politiics

*** PSI Obsession
<http://shantipeace.blogspot.com/2006/10/psi-obsession.html>
Singapore Living

*** How To Spend Your CPF Savings Without Your Consent
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-to-spend-your-cpf-savings-without.html>
My Singapore News

*** Chicken? I Can Stomach It
<http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,115647,00.html?>
David Turner, The New Paper

Just when I think I've seen and eaten everything, Singaporeans' food habits bamboozle me some more.

*** Top 10 Things Singaporeans Do In JB
<http://majulah.xblogger.net/index.php/2006/10/15/top-10-things-singaporeans-do-in-jb/>
Majulah Singapura

*** What Riles Me Up
<http://emyln.blogspot.com/2006/10/what-riles-me-up.html>
Musings Of A Virgin

The truth of the matter is, social norms are hard to erase and I believe the Singapore school sysem today isn't much different from when I was in it over 10 years ago, the syllabus and methods of teaching might have changed but not the actual experience, and for this I feel sad.

*** What A Clean And Cultured Place We Have
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-665.htm>
Yawningbread.org

Shame, Singapore, shame.

*** Local Publishers Are Not Doing Enough To Help Singapore Writers
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:91b0436da124e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Gilbert Goh Keow Wah, Straits Times

*** Why Delay Opening Up Electricity Retail Market?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:419f766876c4e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Leong Sze Hian, Straits Times

[Technology]

*** StarHub's Ad Misleads Customers On Free Broadband Access
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:060bee1e8714e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** s Is One Half g t Squared
<http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/lehrer/sgt2.htm>
Lewis M. Branscomb, Munro S. Edmonson, and Tom Lehrer
<http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/lehrer/sgt2.mp3>

*** There's A Delta For Every Epsilon
<http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/lehrer/delta.htm>
Tom Lehrer
<http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/lehrer/delta.mp3>

*** Any Questions?
<http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/lehrer/questions.htm>
Tom Lehrer, Lewis M. Branscomb, and other cast members
<http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/lehrer/questions.mp3>