[MyAppleMenu] Oct 12, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 12 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Gore Investigates Apple
<http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1919968,00.html>
Andrew Clark, The Guardian

The former US vice-president Al Gore has been asked to help uncover inconvenient truths at computer company Apple,  which is embroiled in a Silicon Valley scandal over share options.

*** Apple Offers $20 iLife '06 Discount To .Mac Customers
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/11/apple-offers-20-ilife-06-discount-to-mac-customers/>
David Chariter, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** An After Hype Look At iTunes Movies
<http://mega-timosan.blogspot.com/2006/10/after-hype-look-at-itunes-movies.html>
Adventures In Timo-Land

Only Apple can offer us movies on both Mac and Windows right now, and they are off to a good start.

*** Office Delay? Ya Don't Say
<http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2006/10/12/office-delay-ya-don-t-say.aspx>
Mac Mojo

We're hitting our milestones... In fact, for Office 12, we've not even officially announced a launch date.

*** iTunes 7 UI: The Bad And The Ugly
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/11/editorial-itunes-7-ui-the-bad-and-the-ugly/>
Dan Lurie, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Apple iTunes Podcast Directory Is A Piece Of Crap!
<http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/006476.html>
Geek News Central

*** Apple's Jobs Should Give Back The $85 Million
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=AAPL:US&sid=aCjJNnxSKEnM>
Graef Crystal, Bloomberg

Jobs needs to say he's sorry with the one thing CEOs cherish most: Money.

*** What Nova's Price Tells Us About iTunes' Future
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/10/nova/index.php?lsrc=todayatpl>
Philip Michaels, Playlist

If Apple wants the iTunes Store to keep enjoying a position of prominence -- and I'm guessing that the company does -- it's going to have to constantly evolve. Right now, that means adapting its stance on pricing.

[Review]

*** Daylite 3
<http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=2688>
John Martellaro, MyMac.com

There is obvious care and craftsmanship in this product.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: Lasso Spreadsheet Application In iWork '07
Heng-Cheong Leong

Will Apple finally puts a spreadsheet application into the iWork suite come Macworld Expo in Jan 07? Think Secret <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2028393,00.asp> thinks so.

"While Lasso will lack the depth of Excel, Apple expects the softare to strike a chord with the many spreadsheet users who don't require extremely specialized functionality."

Both Pages (easier layout-ing) and Keynote (looks nicer) have their unique selling points over Microsoft Office's counterparts. What will Lasso's unique selling point be?

*** IDC: Virtual Machines Taking Over The World
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061011-7966.html>
Jeremy Reimer, Ars Technica

*** The Web Accoding To Ballmer
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061011_940241.htm>
BusinessWeek

*** The Case Of The Missing Logo
<http://www.boston.com/yourlife/fashion/articles/2006/10/12/the_case_of_the_missing_logo/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Living+%2F+Arts+News>
Kate M. Jackson, Boston Globe

Forget labels. The fashion elite turn to 'stealth wealth.'

*** Damage Control: Singapore Urges Talks To Save Shin Buyout
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/12/headlines/headlines_30015988.php>
The Nation

A top-level official in Singapore has approached Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to discuss the controversial Shin Corp deal in the hope of resolving ownership issues in an amicable manner, a government source said yesterday. "Temasek, from what I have heard," a Singapore investment banker said, "is willing to pay a fine or make other concessions in order to end the controversy rather than allow the issue to drag on." If Temasek reduced its holding in Shin Corp from 96 per cent to 49 per cent by selling some 1.5 billion shares, it would suffer a huge loss.

*** Yudhoyono Says Sorry To Singapore, Malaysia For Haze
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:24f8f2c33783e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Azhar Ghani, Straits Times

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono yesterday apologised to Singapore and Malaysia for the haze caused by land-clearing fires in Indonesia. "Clearly, this is not a problem we intend to inflict on our neighbours, and we are continuously trying to tackle it and prevent it in future."

[Opinion]

*** TV Is Really Dead
<http://www.missizzy.org/2006/10/12/tv-is-really-dead/>
MissIzzy.org

*** Spend What You Have
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/10/spend-what-you-have.html>
My Singapore News

*** On TV
<http://dhdl.blogspot.com/2006/10/on-tv.html>
Daryl Ho, The Book Of D

So the five of us were prancing around at Boat Quay, interviewing tourists, shopkeepers, and basically everyone else who wasn't a Singaporean and taking down their responses religiously. Just as we were coming about the famous "Man-made-tree-that-rains architectural wonder", we spotted a TV crew and were halted by a familiarly chirpy voice.

*** Temasek And The Evaporating 1.8 Billion
<http://www.oikono.com/wordpress/?p=213>
Oikono

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>