[MyAppleMenu] Oct 11, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 11 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Torvalds Takes Bite Of Mac Mini
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Torvalds_takes_bite_of_Mac_mini/0,130061702,339271592,00.htm>
Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia

Linus Torvalds has picked up one of Apple's new Intel-based Mac minis to play with, but the Linux creator still prefers Apple's old PowerPC architecture for his primary desktop machine.

*** Eudora E-mail Client To Go Open Source
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/11/eudora/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Qualcomm on Wednesday announced plans to release future versions of its Eudora e-mail client software as open source. The compay is collaborating with The Mozilla Foundation to base the next version of Eudora on Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail software.

*** Analyst: No More Studios On iTunes Before Holidays
<http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2006/10/10.1.shtml>
Brad Cook, Mac Observer

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster on Tuesday said that recent meetings with four of the six major film studios revealed that they likely won't be adding their movies to iTunes before the holidays because of fear over retaliation by big retailers, as well as issues with content protection and pricing.

*** Textbook Company Tries Putting Bonus Materials On iTunes
<http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/1628/textbook-company-tries-putting-bonus-materials-on-itunes>
Jeffrey R. Young, Chronicle Of Higher Education

"The students were more engaged with the content served up in this platform."

*** Unwarranted Q1 Concerns Weigh On Apple Shares
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2127>
Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

*** Google Launches Mac Blog
<http://news.com.com/2061-10812_3-6124368.html?part=rss&tag=6124368&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

*** Accounting Outside The Box
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/cowen/>
David Levy, Apple

"I chose Mac because I saw it as a clear competitive advantage. Because I wanted to focus on accounting, not computing."

[Opinion]

*** One Monitor Or Two?
<http://homepage.mac.com/swithers/iblog/C436660961/E20061011100554/index.html>
Stephen Withers

Difference of opinion may reflect differences between Mac OS X and Windows.

*** I Just Stole Music From Myself. And I'd Do It Again
<http://www.lostremote.com/2006/10/10/i-just-stole-music-from-myself-and-id-do-it-again/>
Lost Remote

For every software barrier there is a software tank.

*** Why Microsoft Can't Compete With iTunes
<http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/F6DC3D84-5B4D-43D4-B9ED-1F2033A895DA.html>
RoughlyDrafted

*** For Apple, Google Is A Better Dance Partner THan YouTube
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=304>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

*** My Personal Apple Truth
<http://www.atsbs.com/2006/10/my_personal_app.html>
Ain't That Some Bull Shit

My biggest turn off, and issue with Apple, and the community... is in fact the community itself.

*** An Apple Or A Ring?
<http://marry-me-again.blogspot.com/2006/10/apple-or-ring.html>
Marry Me Again

But really, ask any woman: "An Apple or a ring?" ... Isn't my wife one of a kind!

*** New Mac Ads: 1 Out Of 3 Ain't Bad
<http://homepage.mac.com/elisa_camahort/iblog/C1894745042/E20061010074315/>
Elisa Camahort

*** Intel Wants Its Cake Both Ways
<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2006/mft06101016.htm>
Anders Bylund, Motley Fool

Giving Apple a free pass while everyone else is supposed to get in line makes Intel look like a wishy-washy turncoat that doesn't really believe in its own product.

[Review]

*** Magnifying With A Touch
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/10pogues-posts-3/>
David Pogue, New York Times

*** File Vaults
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2006/10/knox/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Knox is a nifty utility that gives you many of the benefits of FileVault without the overhead, along with many of the benefits of individual encrypted disk images via an easier-to-use interface.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: More iPods
Heng-Cheong Leong

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is nowhere near, but rumors about new iPods have surfaced <http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/apple-about-to-announce-wireless-video-ipod/>. Of course, one could argue that the rumors never died in the first place.

Wireless? Widescreen? No phone?

Are you tired <http://blog.wired.com/music/2006/10/the_inevitable_.html> already?

*** Does YouTube Make Google A Big Target For Copyright Suits?
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116049721244288215-yqmQXzM4PeNYW2VkZHOTq6ijTII_20071010.html?mod=rss_free>
Wall Street Journal

*** Thousands Of Brits Fall Victim To Data Theft
<http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6124342.html?part=rss&tag=6124342&subj=news>
Graeme Wearden and Tom Espiner, CNET News.com

[Internet]

*** Warning Over 'Broken Up' Internet
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6037345.stm>
Darren Waters, BBC News

The internet could one day be broken up into separate networks around the world, a leading light in the development of the net has warned.

*** Researchers See A Downside As Keyboards Replace Pens In Schools
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/10/AR2006101001475.html?nav=rss_email/components>
Margaret Webb Pressler, Washington Post

The computer keyboard helped kill shorthand, and now it's threatening to finish off longhand.

*** In Marine's Death, Clues To A Son's Life
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/10/AR2006101001470.html?nav=rss_email/components>
Dan Morse, Washington Post

Mother finds answers in effort to understand sergeant killed in Iraq.

*** Seduced By Snacks? No, Not You
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/11/dining/11snac.html?ex=1318219200&en=6db57e8afe38e6e2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Kim Severson, New York Times

According to Professor Brian Wansink's research, people make over 200 food decisions a day -- and are outwitted at every turn.

*** Thailand Tourists: 'Coup? What Couop?'
<http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/08/travel/08journeys.html?ex=1317960000&en=c2f6278ca9680fc7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Austin Considine and Newley Purnell, New York Times

Coup? What coup? That seems to be the attitude among travelers and travel professionals as the recent political turmoil in Thailand appears to have had little or no effect on tourism there.

[Expressions]

*** Poem Ending With Three Lines From 'Home On The Range'
<http://www.slate.com/id/2149124/>
Frank Bidart, Slate

*** MacRitchie Reservoir To Get Makeover To Make It More Visitor-Friendly
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/234826/1/.html>
Noor Mohd Aziz, Channel NewsAsia

The changes include increasing its lushness and greenery as well as improving the basic amenities there.

*** Pay For Taxi Rides Via Nets, At 30cents More
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/147924.asp>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

[Opinion]

*** To Engineer Is Human: From Life Sciences To IT
<http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2006/10/to_engineer_is_.html>
Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

We should perhaps have a movement called "Singaporean mothers against Social Engineering."

*** Tharman's Thinking
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/10/tharmans-thinking.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

*** Thank God We're Not (Yet) Singapore
<http://simonworld.mu.nu/archives/200189.php>
Simon World

*** Headlines Matter
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-663.htm>
Yawningbread.org

*** No Tax Bias? What About Workers Aged 50-54?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:ff97b3ee7a23e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Chua Kim Cheng, Straits Times

*** Hopes And Dreams
<http://www.p65.sg/2006/10/11/hopes-and-dreams/>
Zaqy, P65 Blog

You would probably get a small segment of hardcore offenders. The res,t I sensed still had much to offer society.

[Technology]

*** MIT, Singapore Set Up Game Lab
<http://news.com.com/2061-10802_3-6124386.html?part=rss&tag=6124386&subj=news>
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

[Entertainment]

*** Biennale For All Seasons
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Wednesday/Features/20061010152620/Article/index_html>
Lee Sue Chien, New Straits Times

Levity, burlesque and hard questions surface at the ongoing Singapore Biennale 2006.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]