[MyAppleMenu] Oct 5, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 5 13:15:00 EDT 2006

[Stock Option Practices Investigation]

*** Apple Comes Clean On Options
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061005_920509.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Apple finally disclosed details of the options irregularities announced in June, but observers want to know more.

*** Former Apple CFO Resigns From Board After Investigation
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/04/stock/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Apple announced Wednesday the results of a three-month investigation into the company's stock option practices, and former Apple Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson announced that he "believes it is in Apple's best interests" for him to resign from the company's board of directors. "I apologize to Apple's shareholders and employees for these problems, which happened on my watch," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

*** Apple's Professional Handling Of Bad News
<http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2006/10/apples-professional-handling-of-bad.html>
Blackfriars Blog

Moral to CEOs: Take responsibility; that's why they pay you the big bucks.

[News]

*** Blogging Tools Highlight Contribute 4 Release
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/04/contribute4/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** Apple Looking For An iTunes Mobile Marketing Manager
<http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061004232237.shtml>
Mac Rumors

An Apple job listing provides some potential insights into a push by Apple to sell iTunes content directly to mobile customers.

*** PocketMac Releases New Blackberry Software
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx/.3c801200?@307.L2ksbCoEq9I@>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

[Opinion]

*** What's Wrong With Apple's Enterprise Strategy
<http://www.hawkwings.net/2006/10/05/whats-wrong-with-apples-enterprise-strategy/>
Hawk Wings

*** Are Apple And Adobe At War Over Aperture?
<http://www.invbiznews.com/wordpress/are-apple-and-adobe-at-war-over-aperture/>
Investment & Business News

[Review]

*** Keeping The College Student's Mac Secure
<http://www.zamwi.com/wordpress/2006/10/04/keeping-the-college-students-mac-secure/>
Zamwi.com

*** iMac Impressions
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/1551/>
Chris Howard, Apple Matters

*** The New iPod: Ready For Battle?
<http://www.moneyweb.co.za/shares/international_news/241283.htm>
Walter S. Mossberg and Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal

The new iPods are more versatile and less costly than ever, but the new iTunes software is an even bigger improvement, although it has one big downside -- its coolest new features is so graphically demanding that it doesn't work right on some older computers.

*** The Missing Sync For Windows Mobile 2.5.1: Sync Software Lets Your Mac Talks To Your Windows-Based Smart Phone
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/reviews/missingsyncmobile/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jeff Carlson, Macworld

Although I hit a few initial snags, locating and fixing the problems were easy.

*** Google's Chief Looks Ahead
<http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1541446,00.html>
Jeremy Caplan, Time

*** What Does Yahoo's Ad Warning Mean?
<http://news.com.com/2100-1024_3-6122455.html?part=rss&tag=6122455&subj=news>
Elinor Mills, CNET News.com

If multibillion-dollar Yahoo was worried about ad sales, should every other internet company be nervious as well?

[R.W. Apple Jr]

*** The GLobal Gourmand
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/travel/05applepics.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
R.W. Apple, New York Times

After half a century of assiduous eating in restaurans around the wrold, first avocationally and more recently professionally, I have become accoustomed to certain questions: "What's your favorite restaurant?" "What will you order for your last meal on earth?" "Which is best -- French cuisine? Italian? Chinese?" All unanswerable, of course. Now comes a more modest proposition: Name 10 restaurants abroad that would be worth borading a plane to visit, even in these fraught days.

*** Singapore: A Repressed City-State? Not In Its Kitchens
<http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/travel/01next.html?n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fA%2fApple%2c%20R%2e%20W%2e%20Jr%2e>
R.W. Apple Jr., New York Times

Singapore already has gastronomic attractions aplenty. Start with its unmatchd street food -- chili crabs and chicken rice, laksa and satay and fish head curry -- served in hundreds of hawkers' stalls. No need to stop there, however; in the last decade and especially the last four or five years, elegant restaurants serving inventive cuisine have sprung up all over town.

*** Asian Journey: A Trip To The Heart Of Dim Sum
<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9804E6DB1531F93AA25750C0A9659C8B63>
R.W. Apple Jr, New York Times

Hong Kong, which has about 10,000 places to eat, probably more per capita than any other city, is utterly obsessed with dim sum, and no place else comes close to offering dim sum of equal excellence and variety.

*** The Other Down Under
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/14/dining/14ZEEL.html?ex=1160107200&en=efa70fffab45cad5&ei=5070>
R. W. Apple Jr, New York Times

"For generations," said Nigel Elder, a former paratrooper in the British Army who now tends the vines at Martinborough Vineyard," we exported our best produce. We didn't taste it, so we didn't know how good it was." Well, that's not true anymore.

[World]

*** No Bluff
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15133448/site/newsweek/>
George Wehrfritz, Newsweek

Maybe North Korea's decision to test a nuclear bomb makes perfect sense.

[Ramblings]

*** New EZLink Card Coming Soon
Heng-Cheong Leong

Just when everyone starts to get comfortable with the current EZ-Link card system, a new one is coming soon.

At least, based on this press release <http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/news/psecom,id,11437,srn,4,nodeid,4,_language,Singapore.html>, it looks like the change will be restricted to the back-end. No changes on the user-interface on buses and trains, it seems.

Unless we have to endure through any new series of bugs while LTA works out the kinks and "fine-tuning."

For me, I just hope that there isn't going to be any increase in deposit amounts.

*** Longtime New York Times Correspondent R.W. Apple Dies At 71
Heng-Cheong Leong

On late September this year, I've linked to an article <http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/travel/01next.html?ex=1317355200&en=c292283985bfce81&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss> by R.W. Apple Jr of the New York Times, where he wrote about "food and travel destinations in Singapore."

I'm sad to learn today that R.W. Apple Jr has died <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/nyregion/05applecnd.html?ex=1317700800&en=5a4a9801020a4685&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss> due to complications of thoracic cancer.

[News]

*** Lee Kuan Yew Stirs It Up Again
<http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=31>
Asia Sentinel

*** Who Says Chinese Vs. Malays?
<http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/04/singapore.malaysia.reut/>
Reuters

Singapore and Malaysia are once again bickering over race relations, raising the political heat in a region scarred by ethnic conflict, but the mood on the street is strangely indifferent.

*** He Shot His Mouth Off... And Himself In The Foot
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/146802.asp>
Today

Star economist quits job after sending an email that went too far.

*** Lee's Apology: Cabinet Not Happy, But...
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/Frontpage/20061005074507/Article/index_html>
Deborah Loh and Farrah Naz Karim, New Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** Singapore Media's Silence On MM Lee's Remarks
<http://transitinn.blogspot.com/2006/10/singapore-medias-silence-on-mm-lees_03.html>
Transit Inn

*** LKY Letter: Diplomacy At Its Best
<http://theshahril.blogspot.com/2006/10/lky-letter-diplomacy-at-its-best.html>
The Thoughts

Singapore has once again, in my opinion, come out on top in the neverending skirmishes between both countries.

*** Would We Rather Be Seen As Safe Or Stimulating?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/146747.asp>
Siew Kum Hong, Today

Singapore needs to decide how it wants the world to view it.

*** The Gumption To Say 'No'
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=223055>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

The irony of it all is that both countries will become more aware from now on of an underlying sentiment that defines their relations -- the gumption to say 'no' to the neighbours.

*** Neighbours Must Always Stay Friendly
<http://www.sun2surf.com/article.cfm?id=15691>
Malaysia Sun

It is unfortunate that both sides squandered much of the warmth that came with Abdullah after he took over as prime minister at the end of 2003.

*** On Pope Benedict XVI And Islam: Muslims Must Learn To Accept Criticisms
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:f485054ccf11e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Zakaria Abdullah, Straits Times

*** Thoughts On Singapore Members Of Parliament (MPs) Blogging
<http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2006/10/thoughts-on-singapore-members-of.html>
Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>