[MyAppleMenu] Oct 4, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 4 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple Still Gaining Teen Inerest
<http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/06/10/03/apple.sees.teen.interest/>
ipodnn

Apple is still gaining ground in the MP3 player market and the online music market and the online music business, according to a new study conducted by analyst firm Piper Jaffray.

*** FSF Targets Apple Stores In Anti-DRM Protests
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2023583,00.asp>
Peter Galli, eWeek

Members of DefectiveByDesign.org, a campaign by the Free Software Foundation, are set to descend on flagship Apple stores in New York and London to protest the company's embrace of digital rights management technology.

*** Steve Jobs To Keynote Macworld Expo
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=16044>
Macworld UK

Apple today confirmed CEO Steve Jobs will deliver the keynote speech at Macworld Expo San Francisco in January 2007.

*** iLive Introduces iPod-Ready 'Home Docking System'
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/10/03/ilive/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

[Opinion]

*** Why Doesn't Mac OS X Support Bluetooth Headphones?
<http://fanpotai.wordpress.com/2006/10/03/why-doesnt-mac-os-x-support-bluetooth-headphones/>
The 60 Billion $$ Man

*** DRM May Mean Strange Anti-Apple Bedfellows
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2023667,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Larry Dignan, eWeek

It's hunting season on Apple's iTunes and iPod juggernaut. That may make for some strange bedfellows.

*** When Subscription Services Make Sense
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/10/subscription/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Playlist

*** Ever So Humble
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/02/AR2006100201277.html?nav=rss_technology>
Alan Sipress, Washington Post

The heart of Google's wild success is a home page of calculated simplicity.

*** Online Music Comes Of Age - And Now Fans Are Getting In On The Act
<http://arts.guardian.co.uk/netmusic/story/0,,1887085,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=1>
Owen Gibson, The Guardian

As downloads soar, social networking sites are increasingly giving artists their first break.

*** 5 Things You Shouldn't Spend Money On When Starting A Business
<http://www.instigatorblog.com/5-things-you-shouldnt-spend-money-on-when-starting-a-business/2006/10/02/>
Ben Yoskovitz, Instigator Blog

*** Nokia: We've Improved On Bluetooth
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061003-7895.html>
Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

Wibree is a new, short-range wireless technology that is designed to perform many of the same tasks as Bluetooth but in a more energy-efficient manner.

*** Is Anyone Else Out There?
<http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=3ftrc3s1dfz7lbmxzpq0ptl3swq02s36>
Bruce Jakosky, Chronicle Of Higher Education

Determining whether humans are alone in the universe certainly is of profound significance. This is the case whether we are thinking of the possible existence on other planets of intelligent life or the simplest kind of microbes.

*** Packing It In
<http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0640/backpack.php>
Nina Shapiro, Seattle Weekly

A great Northwest pasttime -- backpacking -- is getting a little too gray.

*** Design Opportunities, Everywhere You Look
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/business/03flier.html?ex=1317528000&en=97123e46361ef65f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Glenn Pushelberg, New York Times

I'm always paying attention to deisgn when I go places. I can't help but look at each hotel, each aircraft interior, each terminal, with a cirtical eye.

[Expressions]

*** Space Needle
<http://www.slate.com/id/2143398/>
Kristin Fogdall, Slate

*** Andy Xie's Singapore Swing
<http://www.financeasia.com/article.aspx?CIaNID=37736>
Steven Irvine, Finance Asia

Morgan Stanley's vocal star analyst suddenly resigns. An email he wrote about Singapore may explain why.

*** Indoensia Receives Response From Singapore Over Lee
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20061004.B08&irec=7>
Veeramalla Anjaiah and Tony Hotland, Jarkarta Post

"We have received the Singapore government's response through our embassy in Singapore," Foreign Ministry director for East Asia and Pacific Yuri O. Thamnin said. said. "Lee Kuan Yew and the Singapore government said they didn't have any intention of interfering in the internal affairs of Indonesia. They wanted to strengthen the existing relations."

*** Reply Gets Prominent Play In Malaysian Media
<http://www.malaysia-today.net/Blog-n/2006/10/reply-gets-prominent-play-in-malaysian.htm>
Reme Ahmad, Straits Times

*** Umno Welcomes Lee Kuan Yew's Apology
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=222945>
Bernama

*** Kuan Yew's "Apology" Is Not An Apology, Says Syed Hamid
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=223012>
Bernama

"It is not an apology. He is just saying that he is sorry for causing the discomfort, not that he is sorry for saying that (the controversial remark)," said Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar. "They are two different things."

*** PM Stops Short Of Accepting LKY's Apology
<http://www.sun2surf.com/article.cfm?id=15680>
R Manirajan and Husna Yusop, Malaysia Sun

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has taken note of the letter of explanation from Singapore Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, but stopped short of accepting his apology.

*** Lee's Statement Could Have Incited Feelings Of Malaysians
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/4/nation/15620392&sec=nation>
Mazwin Nik Anis, The Star

*** Traffic-Control Measures Right From Start For KPE
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:4c8d507786f0e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

Observers say this could signal a possible move to charge motorists for using the $1.8 billion road tunnel from the time it opens, probably in the middle of next year.

[Opinion]

*** It Takes A Real Man To Say He's Sorry
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/57704>
Richard Teo, Malaysiakini

This gesture by a great statesman reflect the calibre of the man he is. This wise man spoke the truth and yet chose to apologise because it was in the larger interest of his country.

*** The Apology That Wasn't
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-659.htm>
Yawningbread.org

The tight control that the Singapore government loves to have is thus shown once again to be hurting Singapore's interests. We are left with no one else and no other means to educate our population about political realities but the government ministers themselves. Yet, ministers aren't free to pass frank comments without diplomatic consequences.

*** Political Apathy Among The Youths In Singapore
<http://neevirp.wordpress.com/2006/10/04/%E2%80%9Cpolitical-apathy-among-the-youths-in-singapore/>
Youth In Politics

*** The 'R' Word Again
<http://desperateyouth.wordpress.com/2006/10/04/the-r-word-again/>
Desperate Youth

There are no laws in place to prevent discrimination based on race in hiring practices.

*** Why Should MM Lee Apologise?
<http://chongyokemun.blogspot.com/2006/10/why-should-mm-lee-apologise.html>
My English Blog

Should MM Lee apologize in this instance? I think not, especially since it appears that Malaysia politicians use 'Carte Blanche' to criticize and marginalize their Chiense citizens.

*** Be Fair To Our People Back Home
<http://ronnieliutiankhiew.blogspot.com/2006/10/be-fair-to-our-people-back-home.html>
Malaysian First

The best way to defend Malaysia is to build a truly just, liberal, free democratic, progressive and prosperous Malaysia.

*** Annex Of Lee Kuan Yew's Letter
<http://pablopabla.blogspot.com/2006/10/annex-of-lee-kuan-yews-letter.html>
PabloPabla

Why was the Annexure not published at all in Malaysian newspaper when it represents part of the official reply given by LKY? Was there a "gag order" issued by the government to ensure that these records of statements about Singaporean Malays being marginalised be kept away from the public as it represents a slap in the government's face? Your guess is as good as mine.

*** From Singapore, With Love...
<http://the-commentator.blogspot.com/2006/10/from-singapore-with-love.html>
Thinking Allowed

What MM Lee said was already quite obvious for all to see just that it is a taboo subject. However, what makes him so smug to believe that the opposite is not happening here?

*** Pin Yellow Ribbon Civil Service First
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/146544.asp>
M Lukshumayeh, Today

Government agencies must lead the way in hiring ex-offenders.

*** Leave No Room For Doubt
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/146520.asp>
Thomas Koshy, Today

*** Fighting To Win A 'Freak' Election?
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/10/fighting-to-win-freak-election.html>
Singapore Democrats, Singapore Election Watch

The truth is that the longer we put off working for, and not just talking about, reforming the election system and breaking the PAP's control of the media the longer we are going put ourselves through the misery of living in a system where the PAP pretends to give us a choice and we pretend to make it.

*** Trip To CPF Board Got Mum All Of $3.47
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:958720d7b9e0e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Alice Tok Mui Peng, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.