[MyAppleMenu] Nov 24, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 24 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Apple Tries To Quantify iPod Halo Effect
<http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7425/52/>
Angus Kidman, ITWire

Apple has commissioned research to try and determine if the much-discussed 'halo effect' -- the notion that people who buy its wildly successful iPod music player are more likely to subsequently purchase a Mac -- actually exists.

*** Ban On MP3 Transmitters Is Lifted
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6177820.stm>
BBC News

Ofcom is legalising the use of FM transmitters that allow iPods and other MP3 players to play through car radios.

*** Can't Judge An E-Book By Its Screen? Well, Maybe You Can
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/24/books/24eboo.html?ex=1322024400&en=00e36ca570b41887&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Charles McGrath, New York Times

*** Podcasts Beginning To Reach Non-Geeks
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/16082799.htm>
Elise Ackerman, San Jose Mercury News

*** OK, Who's Got All The Teaspoons?
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/connected/2006/11/21/ectea21.xml>
Maya Kessler, Telegraph

If this is a global phenomenon, then 600,000 tons of teaspoons are disappearing each year. So where have they all gone?

[Expressions]

*** The Confidence Decoy
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/061127fi_fiction>
Ann Beattie, New Yorker

*** Could Singapore Have Feet Of Clay?
<http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=281&Itemid=31>
Eric Ellis, Asia Sentinel

Among most international media, staff are forbidden, usually under threat of dismissal, of solicitation and acceptances of freebies. But it seems that in the world of Singapore government-sponsored TV production at least, one is called to a different standard.

*** Swingers Swap Sex Partners In Prudish Singapore
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061124/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_singapore_sex_1>
Wee Sui Lee, Reuters

Every two months, dozens of couples meet in a pub in Singapore, have drinks, mingle, and then decide whether they want to sleep with one another. There are more than 10 swingers clubs in Singapore, most of them private, some of them online.

*** Singapore Dolar Drops As MAS Sales Seen: World's Biggest Mover
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aSvXCP_LzAMI&refer=home>
Jake Lee and Yumi Kuramitsu, Bloomberg

The Singapore dollar fell the most in more than two weeks, after reaching a nine-year high, on speculation the central bank sold the currency to protect exporters' earnings.

*** Press Digest - Singapore newspaper - Nov 24
<http://asia.news.yahoo.com/061124/3/2temz.html>
Reuters

The incerasing volatility of Singapore's economic growth since the 1990s is largely due to the vagaries of external demand and the global electronics cycle.

*** The Roadmap To The Courts
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/156564.asp>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) has filed a civil suit against Virtual Map -- the company behind streetdirectory.com -- for copyright infringement. The cpyright material in question: Singapore's map data and street information, which the SLA had licensed to Virtual Map, but whose licence the authority terminated in July 2004.

*** Bus Drivers Kick Up Fuss Over School's New Hours
<http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,118057,00.html?>
Faith Teo, The New Paper

School starts 1 hour later, so kids can get more sleep, but drivers want to pick them up at same time.

[Opinion]

*** Freedom Of The Press
<http://cheesecak.livejournal.com/96579.html>
Cheesecak

*** Goodbye Clementi Part Deux
<http://leafmonkey.blogspot.com/2006/11/goodbye-clementi-part-deux.html>
Midnight Monkey Monitor

As I watched on further from the MRT station platform, I thought with some irony that the sign "Value Life, Act Responsibly" in front of the destruction at the back was quite apt.

*** A Tale Of Two Kinds Of Street Salepeople
<http://blueblueheeler.blogspot.com/2006/11/tale-of-two-kinds-of-street-salepeople.html>
Blueheeler

You think it's because they sell harmless household products while Chee sells dangerous political ideas?

*** Our Disgraceful Trinity: Littering, Inconsideration And Bad Service
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-682.htm>
Yawningbread.org

Are littering and rudeness symptoms of how our politics has shaped our society? Would sociological research to uncover the causes for our behaviour end up asking too many "sensitive" questions?

*** Singapore's Light-Up Plan Will Consume More Power And Add To Greenhouse Effect
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a78751262121f010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Amy Wong Pong Beng, Straits Times

*** Enough Of Courtesy Camaigns, Please. Singaporeans Learned Nothing From Them
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:736651262121f010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Isaac Ong Chair Siang, Straits Times

Let's keep the government out of this.

*** Shameful Democracy For Singapore
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/11/shameful-democracy-for-singapore.html>