[MyAppleMenu] Nov 22, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 22 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Apple Shares Close At All-Time High
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6137767.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Erica Ogg, CNET News.com

*** New iPod Shuffle Ad Debuts
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/11/21/shufflead/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

*** Attack Code Targets Zero-Day Mac OS X Flaw
<http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6137710.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Elinor Mills, CNET News.com

A security researcher has published attack code for an unpatched flaw in Mac OS X, the latest vulnerability in the "Month of Kernel Bugs" campaign. The proof-of-concept code exploits a security hole in the way Apple's operating system handles disk image files.

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

Pangea Arcade <http://www.pangeasoft.net/arcade/info.html>: Three action arcade games based on aracde classics that has been beefed up to the extreme.

Groupcal <http://www.snerdware.com/groupcal/>: Take full advantage of all the group calendaring features of Exchange directly frm iCal.

[Opinion]

*** Wherever iTurn, It's An iPod World
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2006/11/22/wherever_iturn_its_an_ipod_world/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Living+%2F+Arts+News>
Alex Beam, Boston Globe

It's an iPod world and we only live in it.

*** Nielsen Schmielsen
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/11/nielsen/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

Maybe people watch just exactly as much video as is appropriate for a portable video device given that we consume video differently than we consume music. Ya thought of that, Nielsen? Huh, have you?

[Review]

*** Tiny New iPod Shuffle Delivers Big Sound
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/4350293.html>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

It's sleek and stylish, unobtrusive and tiny, and it sounds as good as more expensive iPods.

*** MacBook Core 2 Duo/1.83GHz And 2.0GHz
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/reviews/13inmacbookcore2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Henry Norr, Macworld

Among the three standard configurations, I like the middle model best.

[Sidetrack]

*** One Button To Rule Them All
Heng-Cheong Leong

Joel Spolsky argues <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html> -- and I more or less agree -- that computers should really have only one button to switch off. He calls it the "b'bye". No need to have a long list of commands, with names like "Restart" and "Lock" and "Sleep" and "Hibernate".

I just feel that I still want a good power manager that allows me to configure what happens when I click on that "b'bye" button.

*** The Vanishing Veg-Out Vacation
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2062442,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Deborah Rothberg, eWeek

*** Book Lovers Seek Lovers, Buttered Or Plain
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/world/europe/21personals.html?ex=1321765200&en=a331fbd7a65d0e72&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Sarah Lyall, New York Times

In the strange alternate universe that is the personals column in the London Review of Books, a fetish for even the naughtiest dairy product is considered a perfectly reasonable basis for a relationship.

*** Goodbye, Mr. Altman
<http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2006/11/22/altman/index_np.html?source=rss>
Stephanie Zacharek, Salon

A great director, a poet, Robert Altman changed the landscape of filmmaking, and never stopped shooting. It's almost impossible to believe he's gone.

*** Singaproe Hopes Relations Will Heal
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/22/business/business_30019597.php>
Jiwamol Kanoksilp, The Nation

Amid rising tension between Singapore and Thailand over Temasek Holdings' buying into Shin Corp, an informed financial source from a large Singaporean institution still hopes that both sides can clear up "these misunderstandings" to restore public friendship.

*** SLA Launches Free Street Map And Land Query Portal
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/242864/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Cracks Down On Foreign Banks Poaching Local Staff
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20798902-36375,00.html>
Florian Gimbel, The Australian

Singapore has added a new twist to the increasingly fierce battle for Asian private banking talent -- an informal non-poaching agreement that effectively protects two local banks from aggressive foreign rivals.

[Opinion]

*** Mixing Welfare And Elitism In Singapore
<http://atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/HK23Ae02.html>
Alex Au, Asia Times

Is Prime Minister Lee Hisen Loong moving to soften the island state's time-tested capitalist credentials with state welfare policies for the poor?

*** Is There An Alternative To Raising GST?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/156096.asp>
Roger Tan, Today

Issurance of government bonds may be a good way to finance expenditures and ensure transparent use, returns.

*** Why Were Students Put In 'Movie Marathon' Instead Of Enrichment Classes?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:979c98154b90f010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Hasri Ibrahim, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.