[MyAppleMenu] May 6, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 6 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Tim Janis: Music With A Mission
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/janis/>
Barbara Gibson, Apple

"Music resonates in my whole being throughout the day, so I write almost every day. Even when I'm on the road, I might have a second to turn on my keyboard and write down a quick idea. That's the gathering process."

*** McAfee Bites Into Apple Security
<http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6069330.html?part=rss&tag=6069330&subj=news>
Tom Espiner, CNET News.com

McAfee has launched a Mac security product, saying that Apple's OS X is "just as vulnerable" as other operating systems are to targeted attacks.

*** Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center: Cutting-Edge Medical Imaging
<http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/ucla/>
Joseph Lo, Apple

Standard Apple notebook and desktop computers at UCLA have been transformed into full-fledged Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine PACS workstations.

*** Apple's Newest iPod Ad Has Been Posted Online
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/05/05/ipodad/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

*** MacBook To Hit Tuesday?
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=14566&Page=1&pagePos=1>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

[Opinion]

*** Inconsistent DAV Integration
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/05/inconsistent_dav_integration.html>
Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Network

I understand Apple wanting to sell "advanced" features to power users, but I also think that increased openness / interoperability would make OS X more attractive to many power users.

*** With Patent And Trademark, Apple Phone Appears Inevitable
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2987>
David Berlind, ZDNet

*** Hacking The iPod
<http://blogs.walkerart.org/newmedia/?p=196>
Brent Gustafson, New media Initiatives Blog

Leanding iPods out to patrons is much more involved than just the simple question of how you clean them, or avoid theft.

*** Crossing Over To The Dark Side
<http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2006/05/crossing-over-to-dark-side.html>
Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian

People don't buy a Mac just because they view Apple's ads. The process starts with existing users enjoying the Apple experience, which leads to pesistent word of mouth, which makes people like me being aware and keen to know more, leading me to ads that are snazzy and conversational, and finally a decision is made to own one.

[GE06]

*** Singapore's Polls Close
<http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-05-06T131319Z_01_SIN154232_RTRUKOC_0_US-SINGAPORE-ELECTION.xml&archived=False>
Fayen Wong, Reuters

Singaporeans voted on Saturday in a general election in which anything less than a resounding victory for the ruling People's Action Party could be regarded as a failure for Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. The poll is the first real popularity test for Lee, 54, since he was appointed in August 2004 without an election in a planned leadership transition.

*** Dr Chee's SIster Emerges As SDP's Driving Force
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/116762.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

*** Home Issues On Voters' Mind
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/6/nation/14166260&sec=nation>
Joceline Tan, The Star

Singapore goes to the polls today after a campaign that has been marked by concerns over heartland issues and indicators that the opposition parties are ready to play a bigger role in the republic's PAP-dominated politics.

*** 'Support WP And Help Its Renewal'
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,391080,00.html?>
Chua Chin Hon, Straits Times

Party says it has run campaign without personal attacks.

*** PM Asks For Strong Mandate
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,390966,00.html?>
Chua Mui Hoong, Straits Times

With strong backing and good growth, more Progress Packages can be given in future, he says.

*** Singapore's Young Challengers Beg To Differ
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/05/news/sing.php>
Seth Mydans, International Herald Tribune

As his party headed for another crushing victory in another election, being held Saturday, the man who created Singapore in his own severe image, Lee Kuan Yew, had an unsettling glimpse into what could be the future of his country, and he did not like it.

*** 1.22 Million Singaporeans Vote Today In Singapore's 10th General Election
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/206831/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore's 'Fear Factor' Fails To Silence Dissident
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,1753851,00.html>
Sion Tisdall, The Guardian

*** SDP's Chee Siok Chin Reads Out Brother's Email At Rally
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/206783/1/.html>
Rita Zahara and Chua Chin Chye, Channel NewsAsia

[Election Talk]

*** Voting In Beijing
<http://alvinrobina.topcities.com/blogger/2006/05/voting-in-beijing.html>
Alvin's Spiel

Robina and I went down to vote at the Singapore embassy, this will be her first ever election since her parents' place was in Queenstown and therefore in Tangjong Pagar GRC.

*** The Apology Election
<http://infidelsonic.blogspot.com/2006/05/apology-election.html>
Scratchpad

The election is ending, and the 2006 edition will be remembered for apologies. Which is what I think all the parties owe people in Singapore, for not putting on a better, more dignified show.

*** Dawn Of A New Era?
<http://blog.gerek.org/2006/05/dawn-of-new-era.php>
Zuco's Blog

*** Election Virginity
<http://kaishun.blogspot.com/2006/05/election-virginity.html>
A Stranger At Home

Obviously from an economic perspective, it is best to not be a supporter of the PAP so that your vote can be bought.