[MyAppleMenu] May 4, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 4 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Legal Slams Something Awful
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14549>
Macworld UK

Apple's legal team has scarmbled to lay a lawsuit down against the Something Awful website because it tried to help MacBook Pro owners make their Macs run at lower temperature.

*** Take Control Books Offer Half-Price Sale
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14544>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** PortalPlayer Vows To Regain iPod Biz
<http://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800416722_499495_12d2e31d200605_no.HTM>
EE Times

*** Apple Sues Itself In The Foot (again)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/04/apple_sa_deep_links/>
Andrew Orlowski, The Register

*** Apple Fights To Hold 99-Cent Download Line
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-apple3may03,1,1748786.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Charles Duhigg, Los Angeles Times

The industry is far from united -- and Jobs and Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple have leveraged those divisions ot keep prices flat.

*** A Time To Patch III: Apple
<http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/05/a_time_to_patch_iii_apple_2.html>
Brian Krebs, Washington Post

Bud Trible said that while Apple wasn't satisfied with an average three-month turnaround on security fixes, Apple considers its performance on the most-serious security holes to be far better than that.

*** Does Apple, The Labels Or Customers Win If iTunes Songs Have A Single Price?
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1766476,00.html>
Charles Arthur, The Guardian

*** Podcasting: The CBC Dips The Rest Of The Foot In The Water
<http://www.robcottingham.ca/20060503/podcasting-the-cbc-dips-the-rest-of-the-foot-in-the-water/>
Rob Cottingham

*** Tas School First To Use iPods In Class
<http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=98595>
AAP

Media and Design students at Hobart's Rosetta High School are this year part of trials of a global "iPodagogy" project that involves iPod use in US, Scotland and Singapoe schools.

*** Korean Apple Online Store Hacked
<http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6067955.html?part=rss&tag=6067955&subj=news>
Dan Ilett, CNET News.com

[Opinion]

*** Why Apple Did It, And What's In The Future For PortalPlayer?
<http://technopedia.info/tech/2006/05/03/why-apple-did-it-and-whats-in-the-future-for-portalplayer.html>
Technopedia.info

*** Laptops: How Not To Store Them In The Classroom
<http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/entries/1113>
bgilmore725

"So does anyone know what surprise I had hidden in this desk yesterday?"

*** Apple: Bully For You?
<http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2006/05/apple_bully_for.html>
Alice LaPlante, InformationWeek

The bad news is that Apple's much-loathed proprietary digital rights management scheme will remain firmly in place.

*** Why Booting Windows On Macs Matters
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1954245,00.asp>
Michael J. Miller, PC Magazine

In the short term, Boot Camp will be most useful for people who want to move to a Mac but need to run a particular Windows app.

*** Letting "Them" Eat Cake
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gillmor/?p=265>
Steve Gillmor, ZDNet

Why don't they get that the iPod broke the back of the record monopoly, just like the VCR broke the back of hte projectionist's union.

*** Apple: Get A Mac
<http://www.microsoftmonitor.com/archives/015177.html>
Joe Wilcox, Microsoft Monitor

Other high-tech vendors should take notes. Communicating products' value is not easy. Apple has taken one of the most recognizable metaphors -- interaction between two people -- and communicated something very big in a small way. The approach is compelling, to say the least.

*** The iPod Has Taught My Thumb To Be Doulbe-Jointed
<http://my.opera.com/usability/blog/show.dml/242259>
Eddie Lopez, User Centered

Am I the only person on earth that thinks the iPod scroll wheel should be up on the top part where the thumb most comfortably rests (where the screen is)?

*** Open Document Format Gets ISO Approval
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1957321,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Peter Gali, eWeek

[World]

*** Teaching Political Theory In Beijing
<http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=418>
Daniel A. Bell, Dissent

Tsinghua trains much of China's political elite, and I might be able to make a difference by teaching that elite. The political future of China is wide open, and I'll be well placed to observe the changes when they happen.

[Life]

*** Why Students Are Turning To Philosophy
<http://education.independent.co.uk/schools/article361684.ece>
Claire Smith, Independent

Why -- at a time when job prospects are so important -- teenagers are turning to Plato, Kant and Hume.

*** The Mushroom Huntes: It's A Long Route From Forest Floor To Chez Panisse Tabletop
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/30/CMGDSHVKJD1.DTL>
Leonie Sherman, San Francisco Chronicle

On a bustling Saturday afternoon at Chez Panisse, a platoon of pastry artists, interns and prep cooks move around one another with precisiion and grace. But these five words momentarily freeze the action; everyone in the kitchen knows that the brothers consistently deliver the plumpest, tastiest porcinis on the West Coast. Today they're four hours late.

[EOF]

*** Why Women Don't Relax
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/gender/story/0,,1766848,00.html>
Germaine Greer, The Guardian

Men fish, play golf, watch football, play computer games. Women shop. But don't confuse that with having fun -- men may spend their free time relaxing, but for women it's just another form of work.

*** Writers Bid On eBay To Create New Book
<http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/61096.shtml>
David Ross, The Herald

[GE06]

*** Lift Upgrading Not As Expensive As PAP Claims: SDA's Chiam
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/206517/1/.html>
Goh Lian Cheong and Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

*** FM Yeo Wants To Movve On From Gomez Issue, Focus On Aljunied Residents' Needs
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/206518/1/.html>
Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

*** MM Lee Not Suing Low As WP Chief Had Not Defamed Him
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/206486/1/.html>
Teo Chia Leen, Channel NewsAsia

*** Police Investigating Another Incident Involving SDP Chief Chee
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/206453/1/.html>
Audrey Ang, Channel NewsAsia

*** At 82, Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew Girds For Battle
<http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-05-04T060949Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-247583-1.xml&archived=False>
Sara Webb, Reuters

Even at 82, Singapore's elder statesman Lee Kuan Yew relishes a fight. With elections set for May 6, he is once again busy blasting the opposition and silencing his critics with lawsuits.

*** MP: Union A Win-Win Plan
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/4/nation/14129386&sec=nation>
Nelson Benjamin, The Star

Long-serving Opposition MP Chiam See Tong has defended his suggestion of an economic union between the republic and Malaysia.

*** Prove Your Claims, Says Low
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/116355.asp>
Val Chua, Today

Low Thia Khiang said the Minister Mentor should prove his claims in the court of law, or else his reputation -- along with Singapore's -- would suffer.

*** Bad Eggs In Workers' Party? It's For Voters To Decide: Sylvia
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,390368,00.html?>
Peh Shing Huei and Ken Kwek, Straits Times

*** Chee Takes Up Brother's Baton
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/116353.asp>
Lin Yanqin, Today

"Do you really think a Minister like that has your interest at heart when some of our citizens only live on $800 a month? Does he expect them to live on $80 a month?"

[Election Talk]

*** Moving Away From The Middle
<http://jason-leow.blogspot.com/2006/05/moving-away-from-middle.html>
j-talk

If the PAP could strive not to maintain status quo but to expand its representation, that for me would be a vote-winner.

*** Can You Really, Really Trust Your PAP MP?
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/05/can-you-really-really-trust-your-pap.html>
Singapore Election Watch

*** Minilee Speech Decoded
<http://akikonomu.blogspot.com/2006/05/minilee-speech-decoded.html>
Illusio

If he's really unable to deal with an opposition that global leaders drawing lesser pay cheques have to live with, he should either step down or work for peanuts.

*** The Ang Mo Kio Seige
<http://chemgen.blogspot.com/2006/05/ang-mo-kio-seige.html>
Chemical Generation Singapore

Considering that Singaporeans are generally more disenchanted with the PAP government since 1991, the MIW might get below 77.25% of the votes at the AMK GRC seige.

*** Some Words To The Authoritarian Government
<http://starlandre.blogspot.com/2006/05/some-words-to-authoritarian-government.html>
Singapore Starlandliu

*** Gangs Of Singapore
<http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2006/05/gangs-of-singapore.html>
Singapore Life And Times

How can the NTUC chief abandon the workers, whether they live in Chua Chu Kang or Ang Mo Kio? That is Lim Boon Heng's message to the rest of the workers in Singapore. If they don't vote PAP, the NTUC will abandon them.

*** Political Situation In Singapore
<http://thebuddiesdiaries.blogspot.com/2006/05/political-situation-in-singapore.html>
The Buddies Diaries

Are we going to allow eltisim to trample the opposition in Singapore?

*** Infamous Quotes Of The Glorious PAP
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/05/infamous-quotes-of-glorious-pap.html>
Singabloodypore

*** Singapore - Annual Report 2006
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/05/singapore-annual-report-2006.html>
Reporters Without Borders, Singapore Election Watch

More than a year after coming to power, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had not begun any liberalisation of the media. Despite statements in support of an "open" society, the ruling party still does not brook any criticism.

*** Keep NTUC Apolitical
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/116325.asp>
Haslinda Shamsudin, Today

Telling residents that if they want an MP with the backing of the NTUC, they should elect the PAP candidate, could prove divisive in the long run.

*** Giving A Lift To The Upgrading Debate
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,390416,00.html?>
Ong Soh Chin, Straits Times

If estate upgrading is always going to be an election issue, or a condition, the playing field is always going to be tipped in favour of the ruling party.

*** Politics In Singapore
<http://cheewing.blogspot.com/2006/05/politics-in-singapore.html>
Life Of Mr Cellophane

*** PAP UOB Plaza Lunchtime Rally
<http://www.djourne.net/sgelection06/index.php/2006/05/04/pap-uob-plaza-lunchtime-rally/>
Sg Election '06

*** How HDB Flats Are Priced?
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-hdb-flats-are-priced.html>
See Leong Kit, Singapore Election Watch

Mr Mah Bow Tan should provide simple honest answers to these pertinent HDB questions.

*** Political Filrtation With Trade Union Movement
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/05/political-flirtation-with-trade-union.html>
See Leong Kit, Singapore Election Watch

[News]

*** Singapore Warns On Regional Co-Operation
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/00da190a-dac8-11da-aa09-0000779e2340.html>
Andrew Jack, Financial Times

The reluctance of some nations to share samples of the H5N1 bird flu virus risked blocking "our battle" against a virus that that threatens the world with a human pandemic, Singapore's health minister warned yesterday.

*** There Is Always Hope Of A Bridge, Says Syed Hamid
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/4/parliament/14146974&sec=parliament>
The Star

"One day, we hope Singapore will not look at it only from the credit and debit standpoints."

*** 'Problems Caused By Singapore's New Demands'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/National/20060504080705/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

"If Singapore had taken advantage of our renewed ties without bringing in the issue of sand and airspace, no problems would have arisen."

*** KL Postpones Vehicle Entry Fee
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,390420,00.html?>
Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu