[MyAppleMenu] Mar 18, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 18 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Amateurs Run Windows XP On A Mac
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/14121761.htm>
Dean Takahashi, San Jose Mercury News

Cross-over contest code could be offered as open source.

*** MacBook Magnetic MagSafe Connector Not So Safe After All
<http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/macbook-magnetic-magsafe-connector-not-so-safe-after-all-161229.php>
Gizmodo

*** Jody Dole: A Master Of Digital Photography
<http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/dole/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

"I'm captivated by the beauty of new things. And on the Mac, I can design a book, get it printed in a couple of days, make a presentation -- then change it in a heartbeat. It's like a magic carpet."

*** Elizabeth Witham: A Cadence For Cutting
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/witham/>
Barbara Gibson, Apple

"When I sit down and decide how I'm going to approach a project from an editing point of view, I find Final Cut Pro completely adaptable to every project and to how I need to operate or organize that project."

*** U.S. Patent Office Launches New Mac Compatible E-Filing System
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/03/17/uspto/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Yes, The iMac Does Windows
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/03/winmac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

As I write this, it's still rough going.

[Review]

*** Two Juicy New Apples: MacBook And Mini Please The Eye, The Brain, And The Budget
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_13/b3977030.htm>
Stephen H. Wildstrom, BusinessWeek

*** MemoryMiner 1.0: Innovative Photo-Organizer, Prematurely Released
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/memoryminer1/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Owen W. Linzmayer, Macworld

Conceptually, I like MemoryMiner, but it's closer to a beta release than a finsiehd product.

*** Senators Renew Call For .xxx Domains
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6050973.html?part=rss&tag=6050973&subj=news>
Anne Broache, CNET News.com

[GE06]

*** Bloggers at elections.net
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107441.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

They're anonymous, they are eager to comment, but do they know the rules?

[News]

*** Relations With Thailand Still Good Despite Protests: Singapore's Yeo
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/198488/1/.html>
Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

*** Bridge Delay Costs RM70m
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/18/nation/13679700&sec=nation>
Nelson Benjamin and Marsha Tan, The Star

An official familiar with the project said although parts of the temporary access at Tanjung Puteri could be reused for the bridge, a "couple of millions of riggit" would definitely be lost.

*** Singapore Urged To Join Hands On Bridge
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Saturday/National/20060318072628/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak urged Singgapore to consider the proposal in the spirit of "give and take" and in the interest of future bilateral relations.

*** Believe Those Blogs? Only 1 Percent Find Them Credible
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=41110>
Sim Chi Yin, Straits Times

Despite the popularity of hte internet, online media is rarely a news source.

*** Ad Spending Slips 8 Percent But Newspapers Grab Biggger Share
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=41112>
Bryan Lee, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** A Rare Public Display
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/03/rare-public-display.html>
Singapore Election Watch

Jobs for foreigners, N.S. for Singaporeans.

*** NSMen Tax Relief Aligned To SAF Work Year
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107462.asp>
Benedict Lim, Ministry Of Defence, Lee Leng Kiong, Inland Revenue Authority Of Singapore, Today

We are sorry that when Mr Kuah tried to e-file his tax return in early March, the NSmen relief records were still in the process of being updated onto IRAS' computer system. This has since been completed.

*** Why PSC Exceptions Are Made
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107426.asp>
Benedict Lim, Ministry of Defence, Choo Lee see, Public Service Commission Secretariat, Today

This special consideration is given only for PSC scholarship holders as it is an important conduit for bringing key talent into the public service.