[MyAppleMenu] Mar 17, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 17 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** The Truth About Your Battery Life
<http://www.mp3.com/features/stories/3646.html>
MP3.com

The industry needs to include battery specs for DRM audio tracks or the tracks we're buying or subscribing.

*** Apple Files For 'Aloha' Trademark In Hong Kong
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_files_for_aloha_trademark_in_hong_kong/>
Macsimum

*** From A Garage In California To A Billion Downloads Worldwide: Apple At Thirty
<http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/article351732.ece>
Stephen Foley, Independent

Now that the iconic brand is a Goliath and not a David, anti-trust concerns may begin to creep in.

*** PiperJaffray: "75 Percent Change" Of An Apple iPhone
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1599>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

*** Some Soft Spots For Apple Stock
<http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/16/technology/apple_shares/>
Amanda Cantrell, CNN/Money

New products bring short-term risks, which have spooked some investors. Do they plant a seed for future gains?

*** How The XP-On-Mac Prize Was Won
<http://news.com.com/2100-1042_3-6050524.html?part=rss&tag=6050524&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

[Opinion]

*** All I Really Need To Know I Learned From A 128K Mac
<http://looksgoodworkswell.blogspot.com/2006/03/all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned.html>
Bill Scott, Looks Good Works Well

So what did that Mac teach me?

*** Imagine That!
<http://www.mediacenterblog.org/2006/03/imagine_that/>
Katie Lips, Morph

It's true, my mother has a computer; but more than the fact that she (or any of us has one), it's what we are doing with them that is amazing us.

*** Swan Song For An iPod
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-0603140136mar14,1,2964893.story>
Kevin Pang, Chicago Tribune

Death, if we're so lucky, comes in the waning years of one's life. It would arrive with little suffering, as painless as closing your eyes and entering a deep sleep. Some of us aren't so lucky. My iPod wasn't. It suffered. And I cred a thousand tears.

[Review]

*** iPod Hi-Fi Is Disappointing
<http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/the-ipod-hifi-306.htm>
Consumer Reorts

This boom box for your iPod has so-so audio quality.

*** Enigmo 2
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/enigmo2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

The addition of a 3-D workspace adds new challenges that make this a worthy successor to an already great game. I only wish it were a little less expensive.

*** Browseback 1.1: Web-Page Indexing Application Archives Browser History
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/browseback11/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Matt Vance, Macworld

If you are constantly referring to your browser's history, or you need full-text searching, Browseback 1.1 is worth a try.

[Sidetrack]

*** Hello Again
Heng-Cheong Leong

Steve Jobs gave great presentations... even back in 1984 <http://youtube.com/watch?v=WlEAvJ_rEYE>.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft's Big Bet: Win With The Web
<http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0611/microsoft-vista.php>
Mary Jo Foley, Seattle Weekly

Will users deem Vista and Windows Live products ahead of their time, improvements that can wait? Or will they snap up the software-services combo as soon as it becomes available? The answer is six months or so away.

*** Google Wins Copyright Battle; Archiving Issue Is Still Unclear
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114254831293000574-LTL1mMlV91MNkBUlnV0CAVCnXAw_20070316.html?mod=rss_free>
Kevin J. Delaney, Wall Street Journal

*** IBM: The 'Next Big Thing' No Longer Exists
<http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-6050056.html>
Jeanne Lim, CNET News.com

An era of inventions ended with the passing of the 20th century, says a prominent thought leader from IBM.

*** In Game Of Click And Mouse, Advertisers Come Up Empty
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/15/AR2006031502339.html>
Leslie Walker, Washington Post

Click fraud may be far more common than search engines are willing to admit.

*** VoIP: Are We There Yet?
<http://news.com.com/2100-7352_3-6050500.html?part=rss&tag=6050500&subj=news>
Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com

Even in these times of rapid technology development, changes in consumer behavior can be a maddeningly slow process.

[World]

*** A Candid Dutch Film May Be Too Scary For Immigrants
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/16/international/europe/16dutch.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Gregory Crouch, New York Times

This is not exactly a run-of-the-mill homework assignment: watch a film clip of an attractive woman sunbathing topless, and try not to be shocked.

[Life]

*** Girl Uninterrupted
<http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,1732563,00.html>
Toby Litt, The Guardian

Dspite my harsh critique of Winona's tongue, I really am on her side. I'd love her to find a way out the impasse of youth culture. I'd love to see her convincingly tackle some roles where she just has to be a normal, unkooky, confident woman. And I'd love to see her knuckles going white round the knees of an Oscar. But does she want to grow up? I don't know.

*** Where The Buses Run On Time
<http://www.slate.com/id/2138159/>
Austan Goolsbee, Slate

The lure of incentive pay.

[GE06]

*** Living Costs, Jobs Are Top Concerns Of Young Voters
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,378427,00.html?>
Lynn Lee, Straits Times

Young Singapoeans may be better educated and have grown up in an age of plenty, but when they vote, they are likely to be swayed by the same issues as all other voters.

[News]

*** No Tax On Business-Related Taxi Claims, Ad-Hoc Overtime Allowances: IRAS
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/198369/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim and Melvin Yong, Channel NewsAsia

The IRAS says it made the revision based on industry feedback.

*** Commonwealth Games To Be Telecast On MediaCorp TV From Mar 18
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/198361/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

*** Thai Protesters Burn Images Of Singapore PM
<http://localnewsleader.com/jackson/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=160117>
Agencies

Protesters burned posters of Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong outside the city state's Bangkok embassy on Friday as a campaign to oust his Thai counterpart, Thaksin Shinawatra, took a nationalist twist.

*** Lawyer: Singapore Piracy Case Is 'Very Significant'
<http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E18482571340023B219>
Sumner Lemon, InfoWorld Nederland

Criminal charges brought against a Singaproean company for alleged use of pirated software mark an important legal milestone in the country, according to a Singaporean lawyer familiar with the case.

*** Singapore Opposition Leader Sentenced To Day In Jail
<http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-03-17T095826Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-241036-1.xml&archived=False>
Reuters

A Singapore court sentenced an opposition leader, Chee Soon Juan, to one day in jail and fined him S$6,000 on Friday for questioning the independence of the city-state's judiciary. Failure to pay the fine by 5 p.m. on Friday would result in a one-week prison sentence, the High Court said.

*** Aussie Dtained In Queen Protest
<http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18499289-5001028,00.html>
Daily Telegraph

A costumed Australian animal rights activist has disrupted a Singapore visit by the Queen with a protest against the bearskin hats worn by the soldiers who guard Buckingham Palace. Two police officer detained the protestor from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) near the Istana palace, where the Queen was to receive a ceremonial welcome from President SR Nathan.

*** For Singapore Man, Toilets Are Not A Dirty Word
<http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=26705>
NewKerala.com

Jack Sim is passionate about toilets. The 49-year-old Singapore national has made it his life's goal to improve international standards for the humble water closet.

*** Singapore Counts On Undercover Diners To Expose Poor Service
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000088&sid=aVVKU8CnSib4&refer=culture>
Yoolim Lee, Bloomberg

Singapore, which is aiming to double visitor numbers to 17 million by 2015, is counting on undercover diners to expose bad service as part of its attempt to make the city the premier gourmet capital of Asia.

*** Singapore's Temasek To Pare Stake In Shin Corp
<http://today.reuters.com/business/newsarticle.aspx?type=tnBusinessNews&storyID=nSIN209257&imageid=&cap=>
Reuters

*** Faulty Gantry Impedes Baby's Hospital Dash
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107224.asp>
Lin Yanqin, Today

When contacted, Singex Venues -- which manages Singapore Expo -- said it had yet to complete its investigations.

*** Queen Elizabeth II Arrives In Singapore For State Visit
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/198170/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

*** Guilty Chee's Day Ends With One More Chance
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107232.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

On a day on which he was found guilty, showed flashes of defiance in court and, at one point, broke down, opposition politican Chee Soon Juan went home with the judge giving him one more chance to explain his stand.

*** Singapore Suspends Import Of Poultry Products From Perak
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=186133>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

Singapore's Agri-Food and veterinary Authority (AVA) Thursday suspended imports of poultry and poultry products from Perak following the detection of bird flu in the state.

[Opinion]

*** Don't Stop 6am Singapore Train Service
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/17/focus/13686753&sec=focus>
Mandy Boo Chooi May, The Star

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>