[MyAppleMenu] Mar 6, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 6 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Helpful Mac OS X Worms?
<http://cnet.com.au/software/security/0,39029558,40060826,00.htm>
Robert Vamosi, CNET

Kevin Finisterre has started a publicdialogue over Mac OS X security. But he has also opened a Pandora's box, giving script kiddies techniques that could be used in future Mac OS X viruses.

*** Mac OS X Hacked In Less Than 30 Minutes
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Mac_OS_X_hacked_in_less_than_30_minutes/0,2000061744,39241748,00.htm>
Munir Kotadia, ZDNet Australia

Gaining root access to a Mac is "easy pickings," according to an individual who won an OS X hacking challenge last month by gaining root control of a machine using an unpublished security vulnerability.

*** For iPod Users, A Budding Problem
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2006-03-05-ipod-hearing_x.htm?POE=TECISVA>
Mary Brophy Marcus, USA Today

Apple and other MP3 player manufacturers can help listeners by reducing volume levels, experts say. But in the end, it is up to the user.

*** Apple's MP3 Lead Faces Legal, Technical Challenges
<http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=musicNews&storyid=2006-03-06T001927Z_01_N05400506_RTRIDST_0_MUSIC-APPLE-DC.XML>
Brian Garrity, Billboard

[Opinion]

*** What Jobs Didn't Say
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,70331-0.html?tw=wn_culture_2>
Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired News

Perhaps the real meat of last week's Apple announcement is that the digital home may end up seeded with computers rather than the specialized networked entertainment devices the folks at CES have been talking about for years. I just hope when they're done remodeling our living rooms, we'll still be able to use our legally purchased content the way we want to.

*** Apple Versus The Analog Monster
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/3/4/3059>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

Apple is shipping computers with crapy analog electronics. It has been doing so for years, and it continues to do so, right into the Intel transition.

*** iPod: Threat Or Menace?
<http://www.stereophile.com/news/030606menace/>
Wes Phillips, Stereophile

The iPod Hi-Fi points to the real challenge confronting the audio industry, which is that the iPod has changed the way listeners expect to experience their music.

*** Why Doesn't The Front Row Remote Have A Click Wheel?
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/03/05/why-doesnt-the-front-row-remote-have-a-click-wheel/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

It's just about the best darn UI for browsing through massive amounts of media -- and isn't that what Front Row is designed to do?

*** Apple Web Support Doesn't Like IE7 (Which Leads To A Rant)
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/securityadviser/archives/2006/03/apple_web_suppo.html>
Roger Grimes, InfoWorld

Jobs, maybe you should sell songs for $1.05 and get some real tech support.

*** The High-Speed Money Line
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/06/technology/06broadband.html?ex=1299301200&en=8d3878a2b1fef9be&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Ken Belson, New York Times

[World]

*** Sins Of The Fatherland
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/03/05/sins_of_the_fatherland/>
Eric A. Posner, Boston Globe

Domestic law punishes individuals who commit crimes, not families, villages, or ethnic groups. Why should international law punish states?

[Life]

*** The Raw Facts
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw03052006/taste.html>
Greg Atkinson, Seattle Times

Allow me to spear the notion that it's good to eat only what is uncooked.

*** Bedtime Stories
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,1723561,00.html>
Louise France, The Guardian

Erotic fiction has been languishing on the top shelf for years, but a new generation of women writers is moving it from the fringes to thel iterary mainstream.

*** If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/03/05/if_it_aint_broke_dont_fix_it/>
Jan Freeman, Boston Globe

There will never be an Oscar for Most Correct English, but that doesn't keep us from grumbling about movie titles that seem to be vying for the Least Correct prize.

[GE06]

*** First White Elephants, Now 'Red Ants' Show Up In GRC
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,375749,00.html?>
Tee Hun Ching, Straits Times

Opposition sells red ant T-shirts in Pasir Ris-Punggol.

*** Divide And Conquer, Don't Butt Heads: SDA
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/104840.asp>
Christie Loh, Today

Leaders of four opposition parties are set to meet this afternoon to try to avoid three-cornered fights at the upcoming general elections, sources told Today.

[News]

*** Braless Order At School
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/6/nation/13579938&sec=nation>
The Star

Students of a secondary school in Singapore, who were recently found to be wearing coloured bras to school, were forced to go braless, reported China Press. According to the daily, the school only allowed students to wear white, beige and light grey bras.

*** Foiled In the U.S., Singapore Port Operator Seeks To Invest Elsewhere
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/04/business/worldbusiness/04singapore.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Wayne Arnold, New York Times

Now, analysts say, PSA will have to search for more bite-size additions. But new acquisitions will be increasingly expensive.

[Opinion]

*** iBlog, iPodcast: The Rise Of Citizen Journalism Using Tech
<http://www.asianjournal.com/?c=51&a=11055&sid=653ff842e3b917c3e9d9b5496a5278f9>
Asian Journal

Perhaps that is why censorship and sedition charges are being thrown at individual bloggers and podcasters. Perhaps they are growing more and more influential, and the old power base is being threatened.

*** Train Strain
<http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/03/05/1430106.htm>
Sunday Mail

Tanjung Pagar was a head shaker. It was so not Singapore.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]