[MyAppleMenu] Mar 5, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 5 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Justice Probes Music Firms' Pricing Of Downloads
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/03/AR2006030301852.html>
Yuki Noguchi, Washington Post

[Opinion]

*** Screwy MacBook Pro Speaker
<http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/2006/Mar/01>
Chris Liscio, SuperMegaUltraGroovy

To my own ears, the right speaker was notcieably quieter, and lacked bass when compared to the left speaker. Also, it sounded horribly distored.

*** A Remote Control That Tells The Future?
<http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback104.html>
Michael Greeson, TDG Research, Design Technica

It's the remote control's banality that makes it such a powerful expression of deeply Apple believes in this vision, what I call the "sophisticated simplicity" strategy. If one looks closely into the remote control, you can almost make out images of Apple's future...

[Review]

*** Apple iPod Hi-Fi
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1933838,00.asp>
Mike Kobrin, PC Magazine

I wholeheartedly recommend this speaker if you're looking for an extremely powerful single-cabinet speaker that's portable, because this is about as good as it gets.

*** Well, It Can Fill A Room With Sound...
<http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-technopolis5mar05,1,6454922.column?coll=la-utilities-business>
David Colker, Los Angeles Times

Apple's new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system is tested against three rivals by a panel of trained listeners. The verdict: Buy something else.

[Sidetrack]

*** Life Imitates Art
Heng-Cheong Leong

Or, more precisely, a real life <http://youtube.com/watch?v=49IDp76kjPw> version of the opening theme of The Simpsons.

*** AOL Bows To Nonprofit E-Mailers
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-aol4mar04,1,5587803.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Associated Press

Less than a week after interest groups complained about a proposed bulk e-mailing fee, America Online said nonprofit organizations woul dnot have to pay to send mass messages to their members after all.

*** How Much Profit Is Lurking In That Cellphone?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/business/yourmoney/05frenzy.html?ex=1299214800&en=7420622ca33fc5fa&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Richard Siklos, New York Times

*** Diplomatic Baggage
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/c80bae88-aaa0-11da-8a68-0000779e2340.html>
Nick Woodsworth, Financial Times

The past is another country, they say, and it is hard to find your way back. What they don't tell you is that if you carry a diplomatic passport you can pretty well forget ever crossing that particular frontier again.