[MyAppleMenu] Mar 1, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 1 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Bloggers Underwhelmed By Apple Announcements
<http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-6044465.html?part=rss&tag=6044465&subj=news>
CNET News.com

Several bloggers voiced frustration at Apple's $349 solution to a problem they have been able to sovle with a $5 cable.

*** Over High-Fidelity, Companies Attempt To Refocus On Sound
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114117951081886103-PCCuPfSM9VK22DT_4cTAv21la1k_20070228.html?mod=rss_free>
Ethan Smith, Wall Street Journal

*** iPod Hi-Fi Has Big-Sounding Ambitions
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6044422.html?part=rss&tag=6044422&subj=news>
John Borland, CNET News.com

*** Could iPod Hi-Fi Alienate Accessory Makers?
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/02/28/hifianalysis/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Playlist

The release of the iPod Hi-Fi speaker system moves Apple squarely into the high-end accessory territory marked out by third-party developers. And that could wind up backfiring on Apple if the company finds itself jostling with those developers for sales, analysts warn.

*** Apple Unveils Intel-Powered Mac Minis
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/28/macminiintel/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Macworld

*** Apple Announces iPod Hi-Fi Speaker System
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/02/28/ipodhifi/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

Apple boosted its iPod accessory offerings Tuesday with the release of the iPod Hi-Fi, a portable high-fidelity speaker system taht works with the handheld music device.

*** Apple Updates Front Row Multimedia Program
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/28/frontrow/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan and Peter Cohen, Macworld

The new version of Front Row allows users to access hared iTunes and iPhoto libaries and video throughout their home via Bonjour.

*** PowerBook G3s Get New Long-Life Batteries
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/28/newer/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Is Apple Preparing An Embedded Front Row Device?
<http://www.zolkos.com/wordpress/?p=50>
Zolkos

Why do I need a full blown computer sitting there streaming all my media? I think people will start to question this. It is also why I think Apple will shortly come out with a simpler -- and cheaper -- solution.

*** Apple Boom Box Blooming Horrid
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29977>
Nick Farrell, The Inquirier

Let us be blunt about this: It is ugly.

*** In Defense Of The Aple Rumor-Mongering
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/03/01/in-defense-of-the-apple-rumor-mongering/>
Damien Barrett, Unofficial Apple Weblog

That the products released today are underwhelming isn't the fault of our admittedly overhyped expectations, it's the fault of the underwhelming products being released.

*** The iTunes Music Store Is Outdated
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/the_itunes_music_store_is_outdated/>
James R. Stoup, Apple Matters

If Apple doesn't do something to iTunes soon, then the application will quickly develop into a twisted version of Windows Media Player.

*** Apple's New Software May Steal The Show
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/13985186.htm>
Mike Langberg, San Jose Mercury News

Jobs spent only about five minutes talking about what I see as the big news of the day: Apple's first software for using a home network through a television screen rather than a computer monitor.

*** OK So We Have iPod Hi-Fi: So What About iPod Wi-Fi?
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=936>
Russell Shaw, ZDNet

*** Intel Mac Mini's Video Card
<http://www.friday.com/bbum/2006/02/28/intel-mac-minis-video-card/>
bbum's weblog-o-mat

Clearly, the Mac mini is not intended to deliver 3D gaming performance comparable to the iMac or MacBook Pro. It is, however, desigend to deliver absolutely smokin' video playback to displays more traditionally found in the home: TVs, home theaters, etc.

*** From Companion To Competitor
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/02/companitor/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

Moving from partner to competitor may not make iPod accessory makers happy, but it's bound to benefit iPod owners to the tune of more compelling products.

*** First Thoughts On The New Mac Mini
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,109088,00.html?source=x10>
Ryan Faas, Computerworld

While the new Mac mini may not sport an array of entertainment features the Mac rumor mill has been chewing on, it is by no means unimpressive.

*** Apple Living Larger
<http://www.thestreet.com/_mktwrm/tech/gamesandgadgets/10270867.html>
Troy Wolverton, TheStreet.com

The product announcements indicate that Apple is clearly trying to establish itself as a player in the battle for the digital living room, where computer and networking technology is married with consumers' traditional entertainment systems.

*** iPhoto 6: The Toolbar
<http://decaffeinated.org/archives/2006/02/25/iphoto6toolbar>
Decaffeinated

*** Mac Mini's Second Act
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/02/miniblog/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

I hope that Front Row continues to evolve, but even in its current state it makes the Mac mini a potentially excellent home-media appliance for the living room, attached to a great home theater sound system and a widescreen TV.

*** Hi-Fi, No Wi-Fi
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?13@542.YbC1bOYpc6N@.3c4f5c5c>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

Why does it lack Wi-Fi?

*** The Intel Mac Mini Is Perfect For HDTV
<http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/02/28/the-intel-macmini-is-perfect-for-hdtv/>
Ben Drawbaugh, HD Beat

*** Apple's Special Event A Bit Of A Letdown
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/02/28/apples-special-event-a-bit-of-a-letdown/>
Jan Kabili, Unofficial Apple Weblog

So I'm going home empty-handed and will remain that way until the next big Apple announcement.

[Review]

*** iMovie HD 6.0.1: Point Update Fixes Important Glitches In The 6.0 Release
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/reviews/imoviehd601/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jeff Carlson, Macworld

*** iWeb 1.0.1: Update Changes The Way iWeb Handles Some Images
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/reviews/iweb101/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Be Instantly Clever
Heng-Cheong Leong

Now, you can start to appear smart and intelligent whenever you talk to your friends -- with Wikipedia in your pocket <http://encyclopodia.sourceforge.net/en/index.html> (actually, in your iPod).

Warning: You may not be that smart after all.

[Wintel]

*** Napster Rues Microsoft, Player Glitches
<http://today.reuters.com/business/newsarticle.aspx?type=ousiv&storyID=2006-03-01T031040Z_01_N28388431_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESSPRO-SUMMIT-NAPSTER-DC.XML>
Adam Pasick, Reuters

Technical glitches by Microsoft and the digital music device makers have hampered Napster's ability to close the gap with Apple's iTunes, the dominant online music service, Napster's chief executive said on Tuesday.

*** Why Windows Vista Won't Suck
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp>
Jason Cross, ExtremeTech

Here's a list of what's new and improved in Microsoft's next generation OS and why you should care about it.

*** Opposition Grows Against AOL's E-Mail Plan
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1932414,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Caron Carlson, eWeek

A coalition of more than 50 charities, unions, health care groups, unions and other nonprofit organizations joined forces to oppose a plan by AOL to charge mass e-mail senders a fee for guaranteed delivery to AOL members' in-boxes.

*** Flickr Of Idea On A Gaming Project Led To Photo Website
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2006-02-27-flickr_x.htm?POE=TECISVA>
Jefferson Graham, USA Today

*** Amateur Web Content 'Difficult To Monetise'
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39254724,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

*** A One-Hour Commute To Another World
<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-commute28feb28,0,2034290.story?coll=la-home-headlines>
Barbara Demick, Los Angeles Times

It takes barely an hour to drive from downtown Seoul to the other side of the demilitarized zone, but the culture shock is such that you might as well be commuting to the moon.

[Expressions]

*** Ode To Hangover
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120097/>
Dean Young, Slate

*** Singapore PM Lee Denies Govt Interference In SIA, Other State-Linked Firms
<http://www.forextelevision.com/FT/AFX/ShowStory.jsp?seq=79496>
AFX

The government "does not dictate the pace of expansion for individual companies," Lee said during a debate in parliament.

*** Government Relaxes Workfare Bonus Eligibility To Allow More To Qualify
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/195685/1/.html>
S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

It will allow those who have worked for at least six months last year to collect the bonus, even if the employment period is not continuous.

*** ICA Mulls Real-Time Screening Of Travellers At Checkpoints
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/195653/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

*** It's Still Cheaper, Say Singaporeans
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=8&news_id=53064&key_word=singapore>
The Star

While Malaysians in general are groaning over the rise in petrol prices,Singaporeans who come to the southern border state of Johor to refuel still think they are getting a bargain.

*** LTA To Study If Seat Belts Needed On School Buses
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/195454/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

*** Ex-Political Prisoners Talk Of Their Experiences For The First Time
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/1/asia/13530369&sec=asia>
Associated Press

Two elderly men have spoken publicly for the first time about their experiences as political prisoners in the 1960s in Singapore, where they say they were incarceated for years without charge or trial.

*** NTU Cuts Hostel Fee Hike
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/103911.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu