[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 15 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Parallels Desktop Officially Available
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/06/15.1.shtml>
Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

*** Apple's Growing Bite Of The Market
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2006/tc20060615_080175.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Put Windows on a Mac, toss in many with Intel chips, mix with the public's passion for the iPod -- and you've got big marketshare gains for Apple.

*** Crave An iPod? There's A Vending Machine For That
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-zoom14jun14,1,5882136.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Chris Gaither, Los Angeles Times

*** Vt. Man Says Apple Stole Design For iTunes
<http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=143708>
Associated Press

*** One Crappy iPod
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6083972.html?part=rss&tag=6083972&subj=news>
Nicole Girard, CNET News.com

The seemingly innocent iPod caused a semester-long sewage problem that cost Santa Clara University $1,000 a week. Talk about a quality device.

*** Liquid-Cooled Power Mac G5s Leaking
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/macosgliquid_cooled_power_mac_g5s_leaking>
Dave Merten, Macsimum

Reports of liquid-cooled Power Mac G5's leaking have been popping up around the net.

*** Microsoft Releases Office 2004 Update
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?13@362.N6fCbfiRjix@.3c4f5c5c>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

*** ITC Investigates Apple iPod In Creative Patent Case
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14948>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

The US International Trade Commission will investigate claims that Apple's iPod infringes a patent claimed by Creative Labs, the so-called 'Zen patent'.

[Opinion]

*** The MP3s My Nano Chokes On
<http://nanobugblog.blogspot.com/2006/06/mp3s-my-nano-chokes-on.html>
Nano Bug Blog

I have been able to track down two individual MP3s that when put on my Nano cause it to reset when accessing the Music menu.

*** So Shop Somewhere Else...
<http://www.dealsdaq.com/blog/?p=341>
Dealsdaq

This seems like a problem best solved through consumer choice.

*** Apple And The Tech Support Factor
<http://www.macnightowl.com/2006/06/14/apple-and-the-tech-support-factor/>
Mac Night Owl

Depending on whom you ask, Apple delivers just wonderful service in every respect, or treats its customers with an unreasonable amount of arrogance.

*** Why Apple Snubs Its Open Source Geeks
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/14/79151_25OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

What will continue to concern me so deeply is that Apple thought it would be OK, that nobody would notice or care, if it back-burnered its commitment to keep its open source Darwin OS in lockstep and binary compatibility with OS X.

[Review]

*** TVMini HD: Tiny Unit Brings HDTV To Macs
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/reviews/tvminihd/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Anton Linecker, Macworld

*** The Joy Of Text
<http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/features/latest/display.var.794512.0.the_joy_of_text.php>
The Northern Echo

Technology has never been my strong point -- and that's where having children cmes in useful.

*** What Users Hate Most About Web Sites
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/14/79274_HNhateaboutwebsites_1.html>
Sandra Rossi, Computerworld Australia

Too many organizations give their competitors a free kick by having web sites that are low on usability and high on annoyance.

*** Social Networks -- Future Portal Or Fad?
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39274892,00.htm>
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

*** A Meal For My Father From Brazil, WIth Love
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2003059557_fathersday14.html>
Raquel Pontes de Campos, Seattle Times

Food iwas a language we shared. It declared our bond, telegraphed our moods and was the usual currency on awkward bribes.

*** Offer Subsidy For Passports
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/6/15/nation/14543536&sec=nation>
Meera Vijayan, The Star

*** Laws Proposed To Keep Research Data Private
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:711f6013ba3db010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Daryl Loo, Straits Times

*** Immigrants: The Pay's The Thing
<http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=30&ItemID=10374>
Barbara Garson, ZNet

Singapore and Switzerland treat their "guest workers" very differently. But they both employ strategies to keep foreign workers from undermining local wages.

*** Cheaper CD Blues In Singapore
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/213772/1/.html>
Jeremy Lua, Today

*** Hopes Dashed In Singapore
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/5079434.stm>
BBC News

Six months ago, 22 Africans arrived in Singapore hoping to use football as an escape route from poverty. But those dreams have become a nightmare in the city state, with barely enough money to make ends meet.

[Opinion]

*** Lees Thinking Of Avoiding Open Trial
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/06/lees-thinking-of-avoiding-open-trial.html>
Singabloodypore

*** Have Panel Examine Use Of Public Funds
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:d5616013ba3db010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Lau Hwai Eng, Straits Times

I raised my concerns with my MP, yet such wastage went on unabated.