[MyAppleMenu] Jun 10, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 10 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Thomas A. Heinz: No Place Like (This) Home
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/heinz/>
Barbara Gibson, Apple

*** Creative Lawsuit Could Have Broad Consequences
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/06/09/creative/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

The chances of Creative Technology winning an injunction to prevent Apple from selling the iPod domestically are slim, legal experts say. But its suit against Apple alleging patent infringement could have broad consequences for both companies and the portable media player market as a whole.

*** Anti-DRM Protests Planned At Apple Stores This Weekend
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/06/09/defective/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

An anti-Digital Rights Management activist group plans this weekend to stage "flash mobs" to "warn Apple customers of the dangers of DRM in iTunes and Apple software" at Apple Store locations in six cities around the country.

[Opinion]

*** Is Nintendo The Apple Of Apple's Eye?
<http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029432,49276362,00.htm>
CNET

*** Closing The Mac Price Gap
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=213&tag=nl.e540>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

*** Apple's Great Asteroid Hoax
<http://lowendmac.com/rumormill/06/0609.html>
Low End Mac

[Review]

*** The Adventures Of El Ballo
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/reviews/adelba/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Neat art, great music and solid game engine aside, gameplay is, well, a bit limp.

[Sidetrack]

*** How To Make A Living
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dave Winer <http://www.scripting.com/2006/06/09.html#When:10:38:44PM>: I was talking with Dvorak at the Vloggercon party this evening, and he started telling a story about how he deliberately pisses Mac users off to get flow for his stories.

*** Mashing Up A Commons
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000047>
Doc Searls, Linux Journal

Is it possible that, for all our talk about The Commons, the Net doesn't have one yet? Or at least not a complete one?

*** New Net Neutrality Plan May Ruffle Feathers
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6081887.html>
Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com

Internet companies that have been lobbying for stiff Net neutrality regulations might be having second thoughts right about now.

[Tech & Science]

*** Can Business Be Cool?
<http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=7037026>
The Economist

Why a growing number of firms are taking global warming seriously.

[Life]

*** In Praise Of Boxer Briefs
<http://www.slate.com/id/2143313/nav/tap1/>
Seth Stevenson, Slate

An underpants manifesto.

*** Try, Try Again
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/09/AR2006060900331.html>
Stephen Hunter, Washington Post

See that pile of money on the floor? There's a hundred million there. All you have to do is pick it up. That's right, bend over, pick it up, and it's yours. Are you going to do it? Of course you are. No way you wouldn't. And that's why there'll always be sequels.

*** Is This Really Feminism?
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/b700b1be-f7a4-11da-9481-0000779e2340.html>
Holly Yeager, Financial Times

The real problem, it seems to me, is the notion that we can't all be right if we are making different choices.

*** Importers Must Make Sure Not To Bring In 'Harmful' Books
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=47378>
Zakir Hussain, Straits Times

The Media Development Authority requires importers to only offer books that do not alienate racial or religious groups.

[Opinion]

*** Part Of Seletar's Heritage Could Be Saved
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/123556.asp>
Tan Choon Shian, Economic Development Board, and Kelly Wee, JTC Corporation, Today

We will endeavour to seek a balance between economic development and preservation of our heritage in the development.

*** Town Council Tells Why Stone Seats Demolished
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:16de96348c9bb010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Christina Goh, Hong Kah Town Council, Straits Times

*** No Place For CNB Tactic In A Civilised Society
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:87cf96348c9bb010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Jackie Lau Wai Wan, Straits Times